Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

should I take a gift?

(64 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:09:08

I have been invited to a friend's new house for lunch. She moved in some time ago but this is my first visit - others who are also invited for lunch have visited several times. I thought I would take along a bunch of flowers as a combined housewarming/thank you for lunch.

However on discussing this with someone last night they said that as the others would not be taking anything my flowers could make them feel uncomfortable. I know I could arrange for flowers to be delivered the next day as a thank you but then I would feel uncomfortable turning up with nothing!

She is a non drinker so a bottle of wine to go with lunch is not an option, besides most of us will be driving. So should I take flowers or not?

moggie57 Wed 24-Apr-19 23:15:24

how about flowers and a gift card.. for the new decor./garden.

4allweknow Mon 22-Apr-19 20:45:18

I would go for a potted plant, one that can also go outside whether planted or sat on a patio.

sarahanew Mon 22-Apr-19 20:27:13

If you feel you'd like to take flowers, then do. It doesn't matter what others think or do

kwest Mon 22-Apr-19 20:25:42

I would never turn up empty handed if invited for a meal at someone's house. It is simple good manners.
My daughter who lives a three hour drive away always brings wine and flowers or chocolates when she visits and sends a thank you email when she gets home again. I obviously treat her with the same respect and take wine, homemade preserves etc, home grown plants, that sort of thing. It is always special when we see each other and these little touches feel like a civilised thing to do.

trendygran Mon 22-Apr-19 20:19:13

My present from my daughter on Mother’s Day was a lovely indoor Azalea plant. The flowers have just opened and will last longer than a bunch of flowers. Possibly a nice addition to a new house.

knspol Mon 22-Apr-19 18:54:02

Would always take a small gift when invited for a meal or even just some biscuits if invited for coffee. Take the flowers and I'm sure friend will be very pleased.

Seakay Mon 22-Apr-19 18:40:24

yes - your gift is for your host and not for the other guests

Aepgirl Mon 22-Apr-19 16:32:47

Always take flowers.

notanan2 Mon 22-Apr-19 16:18:22

Take the flowers and watch your back with whoever told you not to. They have jealousy/compeditiveness issues with you.

I would never mind seeing a friend recieve a gift from a other friend so just watch yourself with that person and dont take their advice. It doesnt sound honourable

Pat1949 Mon 22-Apr-19 15:38:06

Yes, take some flowers, if everyone else takes nothing, why should it make anyone feel uncomfortable.

PamGeo Mon 22-Apr-19 13:43:24

Glad you're taking flowers, I would

Kim19 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:41:54

Been reflecting on this and have to say that, turning this on its head to hostess, I would actually prefer to receive nothing. Don't ask me to explain or I'd sound ungrateful and the thought of anyone feeling unable to arrive without a gift mortifies me. It's people I want, not stuff.

JanaNana Mon 22-Apr-19 12:35:12

I wouldn't go empty handed if I was invited to lunch, it's courtesy to take a small gift whether this is a first visit or subsequent one.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 22-Apr-19 12:24:12

A bunch of flowers would be a nice gesture. Why be ruled by another ?as feeling uncomfortable is their problem not yours.

NoddingGanGan Mon 22-Apr-19 12:19:45

I always take flowers when invited to someone's home for a meal. New house or not. I was brought up to do so. I remember visiting my my aunts together with my mother as a child in the school holidays and mother always took flowers even though they were her own sisters. I don't understand why you wouldn't say thank you in this way to someone who has been kind enough to host you. ?

EmilyHarburn Mon 22-Apr-19 12:05:46

You could take a box of chocolates that the hostess might wish to to share round after the lunch with the coffee such as after 8 mints. When I give parties some people bring flowers ans some don't. some bring a contribution like a dessert but they generally discuss that with me first. Bring something that you are happy to bring. any hostess likes to receive a little gift.

Niucla97 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:57:22

Strange how different people are. I have three very close friends in fact my son calls the four of us the Merry Widows.

We sometimes go for a meal at one or another. Three of us always take something, a bunch of flowers, chocolates or one friend will say I'll bring the desert(even though she doesn't need to .) One of the friends never takes anything(which doesn't matter) and then she feels so bad but then says I just don't think!

I never expect anything as I always think that I have the pleasure of their company.

Yes I would take flowers or an Easter Egg as it it is Easter time

Annaram1 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:56:27

I think most people turning up will be taking some sort of little gift, and if they are not, well, they should. Hard cheese if they feel uncomfortable.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 22-Apr-19 11:41:29

You mentioned that your friend doesn't drink alcohol, so I'm agreeing with Legs- Tesco do a really nice elderflower and apple presse. Makes a lovely refreshing alternative to wine and very nice for the warm weather we're having. You mentioned that the other guests have already visited so presumably had their chance to take a housewarming gift then. As this is your first visit, then I see nothing wrong with you taking something as your first visit gift.

Yorkshiregirl Mon 22-Apr-19 11:38:27

Flowers are a lovely idea. Never mind what others are, or aren't doing

Eloethan Mon 22-Apr-19 11:32:40

I think it's OK for you to take flowers. It's up to the other guests to make their own decisions as to whether they want to take something or not.

David1968 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:20:19

Definitely go with flowers. I have to say that I prefer greatly to receive flowers rather than plants. This is purely a personal view but I don't have room for more than a few houseplants (which I already have) and being given garden plants (unless these are specifically known to be wanted) can also be daunting, in terms of: "where the ****! am I going to put this?"

Pippa22 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:11:29

Hello Oldwoman70, I always take flowers or a plant when visiting and particularly so when visiting a friend in a new house. I think talking about it to someone has caused you to doubt yourself. How would this person you have been talking to know that others going to lunch with you won’t be taking a gift ?
I always used to take a bottle of wine to a lunch but so many people now seem to be cutting down or have stopped drinking alcohol that I don’t any more. You also say that your friend doesn’t drink so a bottle would be inappropriate.

Harris27 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:05:50

Take the flowers! X

NannyG123 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:03:22

Take flowers, can't go wrong. What woman doesn't like flowers.