Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Trouble with M&S trousers!

(69 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:29:11

Went to try on some trousers in M&S yesterday. Same size as I have had for years (14) and they wouldn’t do up. Tried another and same trouble but I went in wearing M&S trousers of same sizes what is it? Is it me? I will have to go back to the old Classic style. What a shame. I am nearly 78 so I suppose my shape has changed and I have to put up with it. Anyone else had similar trouble?

aprilgrace Mon 22-Apr-19 10:47:20

I must be the odd one out here. I was just saying to DH that for some reason M and S trousers suddenly seem to fit me, having struggled for years with then being wrong. Maybe I’ve changed shape!

Merryweather Mon 22-Apr-19 10:49:03

Completely agree!
I brought two pairs of jeggings size 10 standard. The standard navy denim pair fit perfectly around the middle but are too short in the leg. The second pair, burgundy ones are extremely tight (can't breathe) but fine in the leg.
Surely a size is a size and a centimetre is a centimetre. How can different factories have different measurements? Surely they work to size by centimetre schematic.

Now I'm pregnant I can't wear either!

grannyticktock Mon 22-Apr-19 10:51:18

I like Bon Marche straight-leg jeans with a bit of elastic at the side-waist. They're the only jeans I find fit me comfortably. They come in three lengths, which is good. Recently they changed the colours, and there's either a very dark blue without contrast stitching, or a lightish blue. I wore the lighter colour when my family came to stay and my daughter and granddaughter told me that shade of blue was "a bit 1980s". And there I was thinking how cool I was wearing jeans! I don't care, and they're lucky I'm not wearing polyester slacks with a sewn-in crease.

M&S Classic used to do some great cord trousers with a comfy waist, but then they changed them and substituted a thin, poor-quality cord fabric with a baggy bottom and a built-in crease, horrid things. I treasured my old pair, but then I spilled superglue on them so they are now relagated to gardening.

Happysexagenarian Mon 22-Apr-19 10:56:58

I also like BonMarche trousers. Their straight leg Jean's are great too - until I wash them. They are a stretchy denim and when washed they become skinny Jean's for a few days. Last summer I bought some linen mix trousers in B.M. they were lovely and have worn very well. Their sizing is more accurate than M&S.

My favourite trousers are some I made myself using a Vogue pattern and linen bought on Ebay. Once you tweek a pattern to fit you properly stick it to cartridge paper with Spray Mount and you can use it over and over again and always have great fitting trousers in any colour you want.

Katyj Mon 22-Apr-19 11:03:20

Please m and s can we have high waist, straight leg trousers in a regular fit.Can't be that hard surely.And what happended to the classic collection ? Can't find it online.

NotStressedOut Mon 22-Apr-19 11:06:44

I find M & S sizing for all the clothes is now hit and miss. I don’t like their new website. All the models are thin and young, so doesn’t reflect most of their customers buying their clothes. I would like to see some older models and different size models too.

Tamayra Mon 22-Apr-19 11:11:17

How about some leggings & long sweaters or summer tops
I wear them & feel a groovy Gran
And sooooo stretchy & comfy

Nannymags27 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:28:12

I’ve written about M&S before on GN and still the complaints rumble on. Agree with everything that’s been said. I think it comes down to one word: inconsistency. Bonmarche, Edinburgh Woollen Mill (proper shop, not the outlets) & Sainsbury’s. They’re my shops of choice now. Perhaps one day M&S will listen...

luluaugust Mon 22-Apr-19 11:31:06

In M & S the other day and saw the chinos in the distance, so disappointed to find they were the shorter length, pedal pushers I think they were called. Who needs their short legs chopped off at just above the ankle? However, delighted to be sitting here wearing a pair of ordinary linen summer trousers in a size 12 when I have worn a 14 for years! What do you put on your feet if you are wearing leggings, I see people in boots all through the year now.

caocao Mon 22-Apr-19 11:36:51

I can be anything from a size 10 to a size 18 in M&S and I have sandals, shoes and boots ranging from 4 and a half to 6 and a half! And don't get me stared on their bra sizes!!!

They are missing a trick really, because back in the days when they were stringent on their size and quality control, you knew that once you knew your size you could pick up anything in the store and it would fit. Not only was that a godsend for husbands looking for a gift but in this day of online shopping it would minimise returns and the associated costs.

Yorkshiregirl Mon 22-Apr-19 11:37:12

Exactly the same for me !

roo163 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:39:47

I like Cotton Traders for trousers. Many styles have built in stretch in the fabric which allows for a bit of ''give''.

Saggi Mon 22-Apr-19 11:40:17

Grammeretto... if your wearing short trousers then wear pumps, they are great with shorts trousers .

Jane10 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:40:58

I was surprised to find that for some reason most of the lighter weight summer trousers in our local M&S have tapered legs. I don't know anyone, no matter how slim they are that look good with large amounts of fabric round the top tapering to tight ankles.
In better news though I just bought 2 lovely Indian ethically sourced dresses in M&S. I really like them and they cover a multitude of flab sins!

GrannyHaggis Mon 22-Apr-19 11:58:12

I assume M&S think us vertically challenged ladies have legs which have grown much longer over the years! The last Short jeans I bought had legs which measured 29inches. Sadly my legs have not grown accordingly! Same thing with Tu jeans. Never had a problem with their short lengths until the last pair which again had 29 inch legs! Think it'll be back to making my own clothes again at this rate!

widgeon3 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:05:02

All about ladies' trousers.
.... some time ago,I bought my husband some M&S underpants.
They were so ill-fitting that he found they were more comfortable worn back to front.... and there's a man who can still wear the same size suit he wore 65 years ago
I gave up with M&S knickers when I found the elastic was so skimpy and tight around the legs, that it seemed to be trying to cut my body free from my legs
One of us changed considerably over the years; the other not at all but neither of us satisfied
... and that is without looking at the material/cut of any other garments. Haven't found anything to fit from there for years.... and I forgot the worst bit of their efforts..... the bra fitting service. My goodness, those garments were killers
They measured me as 40DD but i still find the mis-shapen and stretched garments( 36B) I bought 50 years ago needed to be resurrected and used as more comfortable

tigger Mon 22-Apr-19 12:10:14

Have never really got on with M&S trousers, but I too have found their sizing has changed (smaller).

Annie26 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:24:08

Bought 2 pairs of M & S jeggings recently in my usual size. They are ok but not as comfortable or good quality as those from Matalan and were more expensive. Had to take a top back to M & S last week too as was too big and change it for a size 10 and there's no way I am a size 10 apart from in my dreams!

Jane10 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:25:25

I found a type of M&S pants that I liked so much that I bought more, found they were on 3 for 2, and now I have 15 pairs! That was in February. They're cotton rich and very stretchy. Wonderful fabric. That was just as I'd lost patience with their older ones. Don't give up on M&S!

Greyduster Mon 22-Apr-19 12:41:10

I suppose it’s too much to hope that anyone involved with Marks and Spencer is reading this thread??

midgey Mon 22-Apr-19 12:58:21

The best thing about pedal pushers/ankle grazers is that if you have short legs they are the right length!

Willow10 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:24:04

JC5 - Dunelm?confused

GrammaH Mon 22-Apr-19 15:23:58

Having observed various supposedly smart & - if I dare use the word these days - trendy young women on tv these days, we should all be wearing high heeled court shoes with our ankle grazers! Shame on those of us who are not! It's not a look I'm keen on but here in the furthest outpost of the Marches, fashion is very late taking a hold so I'll stick to my beautiful gold trainers found at the QVC outlet shop for a song, my purple suede Gant driving shoes(both with those hidden mini sock things) or my Fitflops thank you! And I'm the opposite to most other Gransnetters as M&S size 12 fit me really well but it's 14 from anywhere else.smile

Aepgirl Mon 22-Apr-19 16:31:47

No, it’s not you, it’s M&S stupid sizing.

Jaycee5 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:37:10

Willow10 Oops. I have just been buying things for my bathroom so my mind went there.
I meant Damart.