Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Trouble with M&S trousers!

(69 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:29:11

Went to try on some trousers in M&S yesterday. Same size as I have had for years (14) and they wouldn’t do up. Tried another and same trouble but I went in wearing M&S trousers of same sizes what is it? Is it me? I will have to go back to the old Classic style. What a shame. I am nearly 78 so I suppose my shape has changed and I have to put up with it. Anyone else had similar trouble?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:33:34

I popped into M & S on Friday, gave up on trousers!!!! Then went into next, into the changing rooms with a multitude of sizes and styles????

Very happy with white linen loose fit petite trousers and a tailored ankle length trouser brilliant fit, different sizes, but hey ho happy shopper!!!

Alexa Tue 30-Apr-19 13:28:35

I agree Bon Marche is very clever with trouser fitting.
Most of my trousers are Cotton Traders elasticated waist cotton. In the winter I wear the same with their warm cotton leggings underneath. I have not had a recognisable waist for many years and so I don't need jeans with fitted waist.

janeainsworth Tue 30-Apr-19 13:07:40

Am I alone in not even considering buying trousers from Marks & Spencer? grin

Liz46 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:00:09

I've been shopping in Chester this morning. I wanted summer trousers, t shirts etc. The quality of the t shirts in M&S was poor and the trousers were awful. Debenhams and Bon Marche were no good either. My husband had come with me as I have not been well and he suggested I go into Primark. I bought a blouse and a pair of trousers and am happy with them.

Lazigirl Thu 25-Apr-19 18:08:46

Am I alone in not having much trouble with M&S jeans? I buy slim size 12 short, and they seem reasonably consistent depending on style. I find quality good if you don't buy the cheapest styles and they wash and last for ages.

Newquay Thu 25-Apr-19 17:57:28

Well i’ve Just had a right performance buying some new jeans from M&S. Have always-in their classic range-been a 14 regular length. It took an assistant to find some jeans (Per Una so not cheap)-they seemed to be all over the store. My usual size 14 was too tight and regular length dragged on the floor! So, having ordered jeans online, been into store today and have finally bought size 16 short length! So i’ve obviously shrunk and spread!
Will give M&Co and Bon Marche a go

Tartlet Thu 25-Apr-19 16:21:19

I’ve just opened a parcel from M&S which contains 6 pairs of summer trousers. Three types and two sizes of each. And they are all going back! I’m getting so fed up (and not just with M&S) with trousers which don’t fit or which fit but are deeply unflattering to my dumpy short legs.

Their chinos looked like crumpled bits of rag and were either too tight round the waist or a bit loose round the waist and massive around the thighs. My other gripe with trousers in general is that they now seem to be cut very far up in the crotch area so that they’re both uncomfortable and unsightly. Splitting your difference indeed!

I’d be very grateful to anyone who can point me in the direction of some smart but comfortable and hopefully flattering summer trousers.

goose1964 Thu 25-Apr-19 13:27:56

Last week I went shopping for new clothes, in M&S I tried on a pair of capri trousers a 20 fitted but gave me thunder thighs and I also tried on culottes in an 18 and they fit perfectly, and are really flattering

grannyticktock Thu 25-Apr-19 12:29:25

I tried on two tops in M&S yesterday: a size 14 (my usual size) that was just a bit snug, and a size 12 that was absolutely vast - it was a loose baggy style but a 10 would have looked better on me. I just lost interest and didn't try on other sizes - why should we have to do all the work?

Deedaa Wed 24-Apr-19 21:17:01

I may be missing something but surely "Skinny Fit" size 18 or 20 trousers is an oxymoron?

SueDoku Wed 24-Apr-19 08:44:56

Wore M&S trousers for years, until they suddenly became a lucky dip in sizing... I now wear trousers from Cotton Traders - they're good quality and fit me perfectly.

Greyduster Tue 23-Apr-19 07:06:16

That says it all, Deedaa.

nanababs Tue 23-Apr-19 06:44:47

And why are all the jeggings skinny or even super skinny fit now? I’m having to buy tunic tops because I’m not!

Deedaa Mon 22-Apr-19 21:33:16

I was in Marks today and complained about nearly all the trousers being ankle grazers. The girl I was talking to told me that ankle grazers are really fashionable at the moment. I pointed out that their core customers tend to be ladies who have paid off the mortgage, have disposable income, and would like to spend it on clothes they can wear. She looked at me as if I was speaking Swahili!

Leah50 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:59:34

Many, many years ago I briefly worked as a machinist at a factory making M&S clothing. On running out of the correct size labels to sew into the garments I was told by the chargehand, "Use anything, they can always take it back to the store.....just keep the line going!"

trendygran Mon 22-Apr-19 20:14:45

Wearing my Bonmarché jeans today -and most days ,as the most comfortable jeans I have ever had. I have three different colours . They are much better value and fit than any I have previously had from M and S.
Looked round M and S last week and saw nothing of interest in the clothes there. Food and cosmetics etc are good ,but not the clothes.

Funnygran Mon 22-Apr-19 19:34:42

I had a Bonmarche catalogue through the door last week and there seemed to be some lovely summer things in it. I am going to have a look in our local one tomorrow. I too am disappointed with M&S summer trousers, last years linen ones looked flimsy after a few washes. I have however had some really nice t shirts at good prices from them. My favourite linen trousers that I wear a lot were from Asda.

knspol Mon 22-Apr-19 18:45:51

Have worn M&S summer weight trousers for years but last year and this I can't get a pair that fit well. Always used to get long length but now need medium. Size 12 don't fit anymore and are even tight on the calves, even though have some at home that fit OK and size 14 have huge thighs and are way too big on the waist. So... seems my legs have shrunk in length but calves have grown and thighs have shrunk, good job my eyes aren't so good anymore so can't see myself clearly!

Jaycee5 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:37:10

Willow10 Oops. I have just been buying things for my bathroom so my mind went there.
I meant Damart.

Aepgirl Mon 22-Apr-19 16:31:47

No, it’s not you, it’s M&S stupid sizing.

GrammaH Mon 22-Apr-19 15:23:58

Having observed various supposedly smart & - if I dare use the word these days - trendy young women on tv these days, we should all be wearing high heeled court shoes with our ankle grazers! Shame on those of us who are not! It's not a look I'm keen on but here in the furthest outpost of the Marches, fashion is very late taking a hold so I'll stick to my beautiful gold trainers found at the QVC outlet shop for a song, my purple suede Gant driving shoes(both with those hidden mini sock things) or my Fitflops thank you! And I'm the opposite to most other Gransnetters as M&S size 12 fit me really well but it's 14 from anywhere else.smile

Willow10 Mon 22-Apr-19 13:24:04

JC5 - Dunelm?confused

midgey Mon 22-Apr-19 12:58:21

The best thing about pedal pushers/ankle grazers is that if you have short legs they are the right length!

Greyduster Mon 22-Apr-19 12:41:10

I suppose it’s too much to hope that anyone involved with Marks and Spencer is reading this thread??

Jane10 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:25:25

I found a type of M&S pants that I liked so much that I bought more, found they were on 3 for 2, and now I have 15 pairs! That was in February. They're cotton rich and very stretchy. Wonderful fabric. That was just as I'd lost patience with their older ones. Don't give up on M&S!