Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What did you wear in 1975/76

(60 Posts)
Freeandeasy Tue 30-Apr-19 19:33:41

I am writing a book and I posted a few months ago asking for advice about pregnancy in the mid-1970s. Please may I take this opportunity to thank everyone who took the time to reply. I very much appreciate it.

Now, I was 19 in 1975 and can remember some of the outfits of what I wore, but the thing is, I was quite a bit overweight then. I remember wearing long dresses in 1975, with a choker. Or a long skirt with a skinny ribbed top, which looking back, didn't do me any favours at all! I also remember wearing the "new" midi skirt? Or maybe that was earlier, I honestly can't remember. I don't have any photos of me from that era.

What I would like to know is what did YOU wear in 1975/76 for an evening out? I don't think disco became popular until maybe 1997, with Saturday Night Fever, did it? However, I may be totally wrong. I didn't go to many discos when I was younger, I met my ex-husband at our local Palais! I remember the white suit John Travolta wore, and I remember my ex-husband wearing a cream version in the early 1980s. (We lived in a small town in the North West of England, so maybe he was just behind the times!)

Would any of you be prepared to share your experience of going to a disco in the mid-1970s? What did you wear? What did your boyfriend wear? The two female characters in my book are totally different. One is tall, slim, stunningly beautiful and the other (based on myself) is short, a bit mousy and slightly overweight. What do you think the more popular girl would have worn? Would hot pants still be in fashion then? I vaguely remember when I first started work in 1974, aged 18, that an older girl wore them to work and was told off. I'm sure she wore them in the evening though. Could I be right?

As I say, I can only go off my own experience, and that is wearing long dresses and skirts, I suppose to hide my shape at the time.

I remember my boyfriend at the time having long David Cassidy like hair and wearing flared jeans, so I can imagine what my characters' boyfriends would wear. However, I'm at a loss as to how the girls would dress at the time.

Any advice would be much appreciated, particularly by all the grans who were the "cool" girls in the mid-1970s! I wasn't, by the way!

Grammaretto Sat 11-May-19 11:27:42

You've reminded me of those terrible communal changing rooms
BradfordLass
They had them at Laura Ashley full of skinny little girls. Oh how I wished I was their shape or rather no shape. But why? How foolish I was.
Shoes too. I used to long to be standard size in high st shoe shops but my feet refused and I felt like Cinderella's sisters.
Now I never go near these shops.
Incidentally, I tried on summer hats in accessorize only to discover there is only one size! Are all heads the same size? I think not.

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 11:31:32

Communal changing rooms! Even when I was much younger, and much thinner, I hated them!

annep1 Sat 11-May-19 12:55:24

Gramarretto I so agree. Men's hats come in different sizes so why not ladies? I usually have to search for children's hats in big sizes that are suitable (not covered in fairies etc)

RedRidingHood Sat 11-May-19 15:09:19

I bought this velvet jacket in 1975 from a shop in Leeds called French Dressing. It's made of velvet and silk and has a cummerbund, it cost me a month's pay (I was 17).
I had it in the loft but dug it out last year to wear. smile

annep1 Sat 11-May-19 15:21:12

Fantastic! Lucky you still being the same size RedRidingHood!

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 15:24:02

I agree! Lucky you!

Miep1 Sat 11-May-19 15:37:54

I fell off my platform shoes and chose to wear desert boots or Greek sandals instead. Jeans and cheesecloth shirt (with or without mirrors). Then I moved to Greece and carried on the same. But with quite a few loose cotton dresses, hitched up with a. Belt - I was really skinny then!

MiniMoon Sat 11-May-19 15:51:28

Jeans and tee shirts by day, worn with a jacket if it was cool. For going out in the evening I had maxi dresses, or long skirts and frilly blouses.
During the long hot summer of '76 I worked in a grocery store. Our "uniform" was a button up "coat" made of nylon or some such material, the sort of thing Hilda Ogden wore on Coronation Street. Nobody wears those these days.?

RedRidingHood Sun 12-May-19 15:03:24

Interesting thing about sizes. I am a little bigger than I was at 18 but still a size 12. However sizes are much bigger now. I have a few clothes I kept from my youth, though sadly not the burgundy crushed velvet maxi suit.
I have some flares that are about 18" wide at the ankle and are supposedly a 12 but won't go near me. The jacket fits because it's a looser style.