Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Please help to settle this!

(61 Posts)
phoenix Fri 03-May-19 20:06:11

Hello all, usual good wishes!

Now, this isn't exactly an argument, but Mr P and I have been discussing this and cannot agree, so we are asking you!

Who would you say was the greater/more important/made the greatest contribution of these two, Leonardo da Vinci or Albert Einstein?

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 05:36:52

Futile argument.
You can't compare apples and pears.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 05:58:40

BradordLass as I said in the OP, it's not an "argument" as such, more a sort of debate!.

And in a way you can compare apples to pears, as in saying which you prefer (can't stand pears myself)

Alima Sat 04-May-19 06:34:33

Da Vinci, he was way ahead of his time. I think Einstein had more at his disposal at his time.

toscalily Sat 04-May-19 07:18:05

Leonardo da Vinci without a doubt, a man ahead of his time.

toscalily Sat 04-May-19 07:20:28

Alima, sorry, did not intend to copy what you said. I read original post and skimmed down to the bottom and posted. Great minds & all that grin

TwiceAsNice Sat 04-May-19 08:30:26

Leonardo. Beautiful art and his invention ideas have all them in happened how could he imagine them in the time that he lived. The Sistine Chapel beats everything

lemongrove Sat 04-May-19 08:36:58

phoenix grin this is the sort of debate my small DGS enjoys.... as in ‘Grandma, which is better, a T Rex or Iron Man?’
Impossible choice!

M0nica Sat 04-May-19 09:34:50

Comparing apples and artichokes.

KatyK Sat 04-May-19 09:52:27

Leonardo. We watched a programme this week called 'The Mona Lisa Myth' or something. Leonardo was unbelievably amazing.

LuckyFour Sat 04-May-19 10:13:43

Einstein changed the world, de Vinci changed how we look at things ie our view of the world. Einstein for me.

LuckyFour Sat 04-May-19 10:14:58

By the way, I adore pears.

Heather51 Sat 04-May-19 10:15:04

Has to be Leonardo in my opinion. ?‍?

Saggi Sat 04-May-19 10:19:47

Albert Einstein

Annaram1 Sat 04-May-19 10:27:35

I think the Sistine Chapel was Michelangelo's work, wasn't it, and he has not been mentioned.

Gaggi3 Sat 04-May-19 10:27:38

Impossible to choose, but just to say that if Einstein was a 'one trick pony' it was one hell of a trick.

Annaram1 Sat 04-May-19 10:29:31

Leonardo was the greatest genius of all time,

Notagranyet2 Sat 04-May-19 10:31:29

Two totally different disciplines and both are famous in their own field in their own time and can't be compared.

Both understood maths and physics, but Leonardo's physics was fundamental for the times, Einstein's more complex for his. One has more graspable ideas, the other not so.

Tweedle24 Sat 04-May-19 10:33:32

Izabella, I am with you. They are both part of an evolution in knowledge. Einstein had the advantage of more previous scientists’ research,

annifrance Sat 04-May-19 13:04:18

Definitely Leonardo.

When I was doing my degree in History of Art I upset my Renaissance tutor by saying I thought he was a scientist first. His paintings are magnificent, and he was a visionary.

There is a very good book by Michael White called Leonardo as Scientist.

KatyK Sat 04-May-19 13:38:29

For anyone interested in Leonardo, the programme I mentioned above is fascinating. I think it's a two pattern. We have only watched the first one so far but it told a lot about the man and his life and work.

CaroleAnne Sat 04-May-19 13:39:35

The two people are totally incomparable. It is like comparing an
apple to an orange, both of which are fruit.
Albert was a genious at the scientific level who's contribution to physics I feel was superior to most scientists.
Like Leonado he too was a polymath as he was an accomplished violinist.
On the otherhand we know of Leonado as an artist both in painting and sculpture. Leonardo also conceived the concept and created rudimentary designs for a submarine which technically was before its time.
So any comparison between them can really not be made as their contribution to society is too diverse.
On a lighter note my late mother in law often had afternoon tea with Einstein in Berlin.

cupcake1 Sat 04-May-19 14:03:15

Both extraordinarily brilliant but if I had to choose it would be Einstein for me!

Grammaretto Sat 04-May-19 14:08:11

I agree with BradfordLass as usual!
They are chalk and cheese.
Leo was 15th century Albert 20th.
I wish we had some present day contenders.
Or maybe we do but they are so busy being genii, we don't know about them yet.

Namsnanny Sat 04-May-19 14:23:09

It’s impossible to compare, but without Einstein there wouldn’t be the internet to ask the question!!!smile

pamdixon Sat 04-May-19 14:30:41

I'm a huge Leonardo fan - amazing man. He'd get my vote any time