Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

It was a bargain, but what shall I do with the rest of it?

(24 Posts)
trisher Sun 05-May-19 09:14:17

just slice it thinly, get two thin slices of your favourite bread, well buttered nd stick as much as you can between them, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and add horseradish or mustard if you want. Cold beef always tastes better the next day maybe because you don't have the effort of cooking it!

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 08:59:34

I bought a boned stuffed lamb breast recently. Cut it in half froze half uncooked, roasted one half, ate half of that, put the roasted joint in the freezer and got it out the following week, once defrosted I put it in the oven for about 30 minutes, until it was heated through and had another roast lunch. It tasted as good as the first time.

If I had meat left after double roasting I would use it in whatever cooked meat recipes I most enjoyed: cold with salad and boiled potatoes, in a beef biryani or minced in a chili con carne.

MamaCaz Sun 05-May-19 07:37:37

Freeze half of it raw, and cook the other half. If there is any of the cooked beef left over, you can freeze that too if you don't want to want it in the next few days.
When you eventually use the second half, you can do exactly the same with that - thaw it, cook it, eat what you want then freeze the now-cooked leftovers for another time.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-May-19 07:25:52

If you really need to know what to do with it all, halving it and freezing one half for another roast later in the year is your best option.

It won’t do well as a braising or stewing piece.

Left overs are of course easily dealt with. Cottage pie is always a winner. Loads of recipes to choose from.

Anja Sun 05-May-19 07:09:33

OMG Phoenix exactly the same just happened to me with a full shoulder of local Cotswold lamb. It’s huge. Must have been a very big lamb ?
I never thought it through and looking at it in the fridge I think I’m going to have to invite the whole family round to eat it up.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 04-May-19 22:27:25

Invite the neighbours. They can bring pudding.

kittylester Sat 04-May-19 21:34:16

Love cold beef with bubble and squeak. Well any cold meat with bubble and squeak.

Tangerine Sat 04-May-19 21:28:13

I suppose you could mince some of it to make chilli etc. but perhaps you would think it a waste of good quality meat.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-May-19 20:46:00

Sirloin is generally considered to be the prime cut for roast, and I do quite like it but Rib of beef is my favourite for a beef roast. I buy mine from a farmer and always have a rib roast over the Christmas holidays at some point. I prefer it on the bone tbh. But it has a lovely flavour because it is usually quite well marbled.

What a bargain you got though. I love bargains?

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 20:38:02

Anything left over from roast might go for cold meat and bubble and squeak.......

JackyB Sat 04-May-19 17:55:42

I agree with the 'freeze half of it before roasting' posts. The roasted leftovers, if there are any, thinly sliced and in sandwiches with Branston pickle as a Monday treat.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 15:59:39

Ah yes, a bit like putting the sprouts on in late November!

My late mil from first marriage would produce cauliflower that you couldn't pick up with a fork, it was so overcooked.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 15:40:39

phoenix I do not either so I will be able to keep Mr.P company. No cabbage for me please- it reminds me too much of the cabbage my grandmother started cooking a couple of hours before the meal was served.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 15:35:29

Charleygirl you would be welcome to join us!

There will be roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes (Maris Piper, I find they're best for roasting) Savoy cabbage, swede mashed with butter & black pepper, carrots & gravy.

Creamed horseradish or English mustard as condiments.I

I would like to say that there would be some sort of apple based dessert, either pie or crumble, but sadly there won't be, as Mr P doesn't eat puddings, and much as I love them, it hardly seems worth it just for me sad

Greenfinch Sat 04-May-19 15:26:47

Auntieflo I wish I had known.You and I go to the same Waitrose and I was in there this morning!

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 15:19:16

I also would freeze it but uncooked. Yummy- I could bring wine and that would mean less to freeze!

Auntieflo Sat 04-May-19 14:49:28

I was talking to a friend at coffee this morning, and we got to talking about beef. She likes silverside, and I was thinking brisket. What should I discover in Waitrose , but silverside on offer, at half price. The piece I bought was just over £5.00 and weighs just shy of 1Kg. So, half cooked tomorrow and half in the freezer.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 14:46:00

Thanks all,

If I did halve it, it would have to be (oh, this is going to be difficult to describe!) cut into 2 "chunks" rather than 2 slices.I

Would need to get extra string though..........

David1968 Sat 04-May-19 14:44:50

You can always cook all of it and then freeze the cooked meat that isn't eaten after a day or two. Then defrost when needed - this meat should make an excellent curry.

tanith Sat 04-May-19 14:40:37

Snap kittylester

crazyH Sat 04-May-19 14:40:13

As kittylester said, halve it and freeze it.....are you going to make yorkshire puds as well? Enjoy !!

tanith Sat 04-May-19 14:39:47

I would freeze some another day I just love roast beef. Nice butcher, well done??

kittylester Sat 04-May-19 14:37:36

I'd halve it and freeze a piece to roast again.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 14:33:59

Hello all,

Mr P requested roast beef for tomorrow, but not just any old beef, he asked for rib shock

There is a butcher I always go to when we have roasting beef, which isn't very often, as we decided that as the stuff in the supermarkets was usually disappointing, we would rather have it very occasionally, but have the good stuff.

Well, it seems I struck lucky! The butcher had 1 piece left, and said he wanted to get rid of it, and if I would take the whole piece, he would "do me a deal"wink

Well, he weighed it, told me what it should cost. I had fit of the vapours and almost needed a lie down!

Then he said I could have it for just over half that amount!!!! I said "bone it and roll it, and I'll take it!"

So, there it is, in the fridge, all 5lbs of it!

So, GN members, what would you do with the rest of it?

PS Himself has already requested my sort of Middle Eastern style rissoles, but I don't think that will use much!