Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you occupy a Husband.

(58 Posts)
MiniMoon Mon 06-May-19 14:01:54

I need help! My DH had keyhole surgery to repair 2 hernias last Tuesday. He is driving me to drink!!
He is so active, that this imposed period of rest and recuperation is making him stir crazy.
He's not a great reader, and the tv isn't of much interest to him. His hobby is gardening, but he can't do that because it involves lifting. He's not allowed to drive for another few days so he can't take himself off anywhere. He has turned into the speaking clock ?.
Has anyone got any ideas about how he can occupy himself.
I offered to teach him crochet, but that idea got short shrift! Help!!

NanKate Wed 08-May-19 19:02:47

I’m sure you will enjoy doing them Littleannie. Thanks Bradford for your further info.

I am going to do one on Mindfulness and Meditation when it is next on offer.

SparklyGrandma Wed 08-May-19 16:11:39

Talking Books, with headphones? Netflix, with headphones?

His favourite music, with headphones?

Littleannie Wed 08-May-19 16:03:33

Thank you BradfordLass72 for the information. I am happily browsing.

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-May-19 23:44:21

To anyone else interested in free, online courses, Google "MOOC" = Massive Open Online Courses.

Most of the world's top universities now offer courses using different platforms. I prefer Future Learn as it's easier for me to use with my dodgy eyes.

www.coursera.org/
www.futurelearn.com
www.edx.org/

I have done courses on everything from Forensic Science, Archaeology, History and Psychology to Nutrition, Computer Science and How the Brain works.

Pretty much every subject you can think of is listed.

Littleannie Tue 07-May-19 22:48:25

NanKate- Your suggestion regarding free courses intrigued me. Having found lots on Google, I have looked at the free courses available on Open University. There are lots of interesting ones. I particularly like some of the Nature and Environment ones. I am definitely going to study some of these. A whole new interest for me. Many thanks for bringing these courses to our attention!

annep1 Tue 07-May-19 22:15:49

Sorting photos sounds good. Its one of those jobs you plan to do on winter evenings and never get round to.

NanKate Tue 07-May-19 21:36:14

Get him to sign up to a FREE Future Learn course from Sheffield uni. Each course involves just a few hours a week for a few weeks course. I did one on avoiding falls. There are all sorts of subjects, history, health, art. I am sure there will be one on gardening.

Each course has short videos, quizzes, info in the topic. Someone on GN told me that had done dozens (well a lot) of free courses. You only pay if you want a certificate for £62.00 which some folk do if they are doing the course as part of their Continuing Professional Development.

Onestepbeyond Tue 07-May-19 21:18:36

@MiniMoon Get him a tablet to plan out gardening ideas - walk abouts via google earth etc ..

Anniel Tue 07-May-19 20:38:38

I read the OP with interest. I have an ulterior motive as I have a hernia and didn't know that keyhole surgery was possible so I will investigate. I wish my husband was still here to annoy me!

Paperbackwriter Tue 07-May-19 19:50:37

Crosswords. Sudoku. Gardening mags. And for you? Going out and escaping his grumbling inertia!

GreenGran78 Tue 07-May-19 17:57:40

My late DH used ago drive me to drink with non-stop boxed sets of old comedy series, MASH, Sharpe, the Avengers and various other programmes. He used his poor health as an excuse to stay at home and be inactive. The tv went on as soon as he was up, and stayed on until he went to bed. Arguing with him was futile, so I learned to live with it. The silence was deafening after he died! Our local hospice gratefully received his collection.
Surviving your DH’s enforced idleness for a few days is survivable, I’m sure.
I am not looking forward to my own 6 weeks of post hip replacement, when I won’t be allowed to drive. The family will all be at work during the day, so I will have to find ways to gently amuse myself. Gransnet will be invaluable then! smile

Eskay10 Tue 07-May-19 17:22:17

YouTube kept me entertained for months during a rehab last year. There are learning videos on every subject and I am sure he would find lots on gardening which might even teach him something new.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-May-19 17:03:09

Card games? Sudoko? Could he write his memoirs?

DotMH1901 Tue 07-May-19 16:29:35

Does he use the Internet? If so there are lots of free to use sites that have crosswords, wordsearch and similar puzzles on.

breeze Tue 07-May-19 15:03:34

Some of you are so naughty blush I'm sure that won't help the hernias smile

BradfordLass I was just about to suggest a 'project' to redesign a part of the garden when you beat me to it. If that's his passion then he could look through catalogues to choose plants. Draw up the designs. Visit the garden centre to source plants.

As long as he doesn't start 'chomping at the bit' and start lugging stuff around before he is fixed.

Word of warning. We just had flooring/carpet laid and the fitter was recovering from a hernia. He told us he originally went back too soon. Set him back another 8 weeks. So be warned. Make sure it's all just catalogues and ideas at this stage.

I wish him well MiniMoon

And what's wrong with being driven to drink grin

sodapop Tue 07-May-19 14:50:05

Not sure why you should expect to 'occupy' your husband. He is an adult and can surely decide what he wants to do with his time.

4allweknow Tue 07-May-19 14:25:36

My DH has had several surgeries all necessitating no exertion or lifting. It does pose a problem if they are normally active. I did have to become the 'head ' gardener and this infuriated DH watching me weeding, cutting grass etc. I also became the entertainment officer playing card games, chess any kind of board game at all as well as organising outings which did seem to be well received as out of normal environment. I did manage to get him to clean out some low level areas in his shed with me doing the moving of anything heavy he came across. Good luck and hopefully a speedy recovery for you both.

Merryweather Tue 07-May-19 14:21:24

Something arty? Maybe an adult colouring book? Watercolour painting? Pottery to paint for the garden?

25Avalon Tue 07-May-19 14:19:45

There are loads of really interesting garden websites and utube videos out there which he might like to look at to pick up tips ready for when he can get back in the saddle again. Some are of American origin but they are still very good. Get him to google Hollis and Nancy's Homestead. Lots of new ideas to think about.

4allweknow Tue 07-May-19 14:17:29

Charleygirl5 love your comment. I live with someone who can navigate by the stars but all the sophisticated equipment in the world would fail to find the kitchen for him.

hapgran Tue 07-May-19 13:48:16

My husband is the quiet creative type who would happily draw and paint for hours. Now if it was ME who had to be inactive it would be quite a different story....!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 07-May-19 13:44:29

Haven't you any old photograph albums to go through, perhaps digitalise, or just write in names or dates or decide what you want to keep and what is going out?

Boxes of stuff to sort?

OzzieLass Tue 07-May-19 12:28:35

Have you heard of the Shed Association? They are all over the place. He could meet with other retired men and see what's on offer. It wouldn't have to involve heavy lifting and he might just meet other interesting blokes with time on their hands...

Humbertbear Tue 07-May-19 12:20:32

My husband likes puzzles such as the middle of the Daily Mail. How about a colouring book and some pens or even a box of watercolours and some paper. Really cheap in The Works

Littleannie Tue 07-May-19 12:06:43

When my husband had the same surgery, he walked down the garden twice the next day. The day after that he walked up the road and back. He is 83. It is important to keep moving after an operation so you don't develop DVT.
I have had several major abdominal operations. I make myself walk down the ward the day after, instead of lying in bed feeling sorry for myself. I'm sure it helps a speedy recovery.