Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Room spray/fragrance

(36 Posts)
NanKate Mon 06-May-19 21:11:48

Any suggestions of good quality room sprays ? I checked out Jo Malone room sprays and was horrified at the cost. I will pay up to £20 but no more.

I like the smell of flowers but am not tempted by anything with fruit in it like grapefruit or lemon.

annep1 Fri 10-May-19 17:29:29

Goodness Pamela! Who would have thought!

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-May-19 13:43:30

In the Times today.
A scented candle pushed the average pollution level in a private bankers home up from 1.5 to 37mcg/m3. The levels hit a peak of 99mcg/m3
A higher level of pollution than walking along busy roads in London.

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:46:18

Mrs Hinch. (Instagram blogger) covers eliminating odours in her book. Although opening windows will help get rid of the smells unless you use something to actually ‘eat’ odours they will settle back in to fabrics around the home. Think of a smoker’s home. Scientists have found that you need products that have odour eating properties that ‘eat’ the smells like Febreze.
Bicarbonate of soda works as well.

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:41:27

Mrs Hinch. (Instagram blogger) covers eliminating odours in her book. Although opening windows will help get rid of the smells unless you use something to actually ‘eat’ odours they will settle back in to fabrics around the home. Think of a smoker’s home. Scientists have found that you need products that have odour eating properties that ‘eat’ the smells like Febreze.

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:36:30

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 18:02:21

Yep, that’s the word I was looking for Whitewave.
Why not use essential oils?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 18:00:13

I thought that there was a suggestion that they are suspected to be carcinogenic

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 17:58:39

I read that if an unnatural fragrance is heated then the damaging fumes do more damage.

annep1 Tue 07-May-19 17:52:38

I use plug ins or oil burners occasionally. But I open the windows as much as possible. Thats the best thing to do.

blondenana Tue 07-May-19 17:38:22

I love the scent of lilies, but because i have cats i dare not risk it, as they are very poisonous to cats
If i have ever been bought any i make sure to put them as high as possible, cant bare to throw them away
I also sometimes use an oil burner ,but again have to be careful because of cats

GrandmaMoira Tue 07-May-19 16:55:52

None of these things are any good if anyone in the household has asthma. Plug ins are nearly as bad as air spray.

Nonnie Tue 07-May-19 16:30:07

I strongly dislike those plug in things, stayed at a friend's house once and there was one in the bedroom. It gave me a headache.

I have a diffuser in the cloakroom as I don't think the ventilation is very good but wouldn't want one in other rooms.

mcem Tue 07-May-19 16:14:53

No plugins. No sprays. No diffusers.
Open windows regularly and buy flowers.
I'm currently enjoying stargazer lilies.

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 16:02:03

I like the Airwick plug-ins

M0nica Tue 07-May-19 15:59:41

*Luckygirl, you situation is very different and very particular, but for anyone with no special circumstances. I would choose not to spray scented chemicals around my house.

There was a recent research report that showed how damaging they could be to the health of occupants of the house www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35281338

glammanana Tue 07-May-19 09:51:50

I like all the M&S fragrances they seem to last a lot longer than most,I have looked for a freesia fragrance but have not found a Company that makes it do any of you know of one I can try.

JessK Tue 07-May-19 09:50:33

Like to go the local lavender fields in the summer. You can pick as much as you like and a dried display fragrance lasts for ages.

gillybob Tue 07-May-19 09:43:08

Meant to add that it is £5 .

gillybob Tue 07-May-19 09:42:45

I recommend the M&S grapefruit and ginger room spray NanKate It smells so fresh and clean. I have the room spray and the candles too. It’s gorgeous .

fizzers Tue 07-May-19 09:36:48

I don't use the room sprays as the smell seems to go almost immediately, I use oil burners with granules that I buy from Amazon, Nag Champa and Devon violets being two of my preferences, or wax melts, my favourite wax melts are from Bomb.Tend not to go for scented candles, and I find Yankee Candle over priced and over rated

Luckygirl Tue 07-May-19 09:33:44

The fresh air products are much in use here as poor OH is incontinent. I use febreze cotton fresh. We cannot open windows as he gets very very cold. I know they are bad for the environment, but sometimes a compromise with one's conscience is needed.

March Tue 07-May-19 09:13:25

Aldi do Jo Malone dupes of the air freshener spray. They are about £3ish and smell very similar.

BlueSapphire Tue 07-May-19 08:46:22

M&S rhubarb flower is lovely. Also have pot pourri with nectarine and orange in it.

David1968 Tue 07-May-19 08:44:13

I don't mean to be rude but I don't understand why anyone uses air-fresheners of any kind in their home. I agree absolutely with MOnica & others. Why not open the window? I avoid all air fresheners, sprays, etc. IMO they are bad for health (breathing) and for the environment.

Liz46 Tue 07-May-19 08:31:54

Our neighbour has one of those plug in things. I hate it and all room sprays, maybe because I have asthma. We have Jasmine in the porch and the smell of that wafts through. As MOnica says, lilies smell lovely.