Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Room spray/fragrance

(35 Posts)
NanKate Mon 06-May-19 21:11:48

Any suggestions of good quality room sprays ? I checked out Jo Malone room sprays and was horrified at the cost. I will pay up to £20 but no more.

I like the smell of flowers but am not tempted by anything with fruit in it like grapefruit or lemon.

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 21:37:42

Aldi have some lovely ones, not aerosol with gas in them just sprays like perfume sprays, quite a good size too,
Cant remember what the one i got was called but it smelled like perfume not toilet spray, about £3.00
I keep meaning to get another but i forget

Katyj Tue 07-May-19 06:44:53

Hi nankate, I love room sprays.Have you tried the m and s ones, I like the fig scent it comes in a room spray or oil for a burner, smells expensive but it's only around £ 5 to 10.They have quite a few different ones, cut flowers is another if they still do it, haven't had that one for a while.

tanith Tue 07-May-19 07:03:07

Why not just buy real flowers instead of something that may be filling your home with chemicals.

kittylester Tue 07-May-19 07:13:03

Flowers rarely smell nowadays I find.

M0nica Tue 07-May-19 07:18:03

Lilies are fragrant, and stocks.

It is I know personal taste, but I always associate room sprays with cloakrooms, bathrooms and masking unpleasant smells. I prefer to just open windows if a room smells musty or is smoky.

NanKate Tue 07-May-19 07:26:54

Thanks folks some good suggestions here I will check out. DH fills the house with flowers and pot plants but as Kitty says they rarely smell (or I can’t smell them it’s an age thing) other than hyacinths.

chelseababy Tue 07-May-19 08:04:34

Another vote for M&S. Our shut last Saturday ☹️

aggie Tue 07-May-19 08:19:43

We have an air exchange system so smells don't linger , I still prefer opening windows as we were taught in Home Economics years ago . I can remember rugs and cushions being " aired " during the weekly blitz on the living room , probably needed from the amount of cigarette smoke ! Rugs over the line beaten to death , lino scrubbed with green soap on your hands and knees , no wonder I was slim then ?

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 08:30:18

Tanith, I agree about the chemicals.
Can’t understand why anyone would want to breathe them in

Liz46 Tue 07-May-19 08:31:54

Our neighbour has one of those plug in things. I hate it and all room sprays, maybe because I have asthma. We have Jasmine in the porch and the smell of that wafts through. As MOnica says, lilies smell lovely.

David1968 Tue 07-May-19 08:44:13

I don't mean to be rude but I don't understand why anyone uses air-fresheners of any kind in their home. I agree absolutely with MOnica & others. Why not open the window? I avoid all air fresheners, sprays, etc. IMO they are bad for health (breathing) and for the environment.

BlueSapphire Tue 07-May-19 08:46:22

M&S rhubarb flower is lovely. Also have pot pourri with nectarine and orange in it.

March Tue 07-May-19 09:13:25

Aldi do Jo Malone dupes of the air freshener spray. They are about £3ish and smell very similar.

Luckygirl Tue 07-May-19 09:33:44

The fresh air products are much in use here as poor OH is incontinent. I use febreze cotton fresh. We cannot open windows as he gets very very cold. I know they are bad for the environment, but sometimes a compromise with one's conscience is needed.

fizzers Tue 07-May-19 09:36:48

I don't use the room sprays as the smell seems to go almost immediately, I use oil burners with granules that I buy from Amazon, Nag Champa and Devon violets being two of my preferences, or wax melts, my favourite wax melts are from Bomb.Tend not to go for scented candles, and I find Yankee Candle over priced and over rated

gillybob Tue 07-May-19 09:42:45

I recommend the M&S grapefruit and ginger room spray NanKate It smells so fresh and clean. I have the room spray and the candles too. It’s gorgeous .

gillybob Tue 07-May-19 09:43:08

Meant to add that it is £5 .

JessK Tue 07-May-19 09:50:33

Like to go the local lavender fields in the summer. You can pick as much as you like and a dried display fragrance lasts for ages.

glammanana Tue 07-May-19 09:51:50

I like all the M&S fragrances they seem to last a lot longer than most,I have looked for a freesia fragrance but have not found a Company that makes it do any of you know of one I can try.

M0nica Tue 07-May-19 15:59:41

*Luckygirl, you situation is very different and very particular, but for anyone with no special circumstances. I would choose not to spray scented chemicals around my house.

There was a recent research report that showed how damaging they could be to the health of occupants of the house www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35281338

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 16:02:03

I like the Airwick plug-ins

mcem Tue 07-May-19 16:14:53

No plugins. No sprays. No diffusers.
Open windows regularly and buy flowers.
I'm currently enjoying stargazer lilies.

Nonnie Tue 07-May-19 16:30:07

I strongly dislike those plug in things, stayed at a friend's house once and there was one in the bedroom. It gave me a headache.

I have a diffuser in the cloakroom as I don't think the ventilation is very good but wouldn't want one in other rooms.

GrandmaMoira Tue 07-May-19 16:55:52

None of these things are any good if anyone in the household has asthma. Plug ins are nearly as bad as air spray.