Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

bequeathing personal possessions

(77 Posts)
Fennel Sun 12-May-19 16:53:50

Now well into my 80s I'm beginning to think about the personal possessions I'll bequeath to my 3 children.
Financially there should be a small amount for each of them, but I'm quite attached to my few personal things and would like them to by shared fairly.
Some paintings, old photos and letters, newspaper cuttings, jewellery (not valuable) etc.
Have others faced these decisions - what did you do?

Itsnotme Thu 16-May-19 05:20:46

I’m going through a divorce and have walked away taking no furniture, and very little else. I have my mothers wedding and engagement rings but that’s all, and I like the idea of giving the engagement ring to a niece or Dil at some stage.

My MIL collected antique furniture, rings from relatives and all sorts of valuable pictures and ornaments. She gave away a lot of it slowly years before she died to her sons, giving them the choice of what they wanted. Us dils were given little things like perfume bottles. Mil had a harp, lots of proper big silver dishes from days when there were servants and butlers, beautiful China dinner and tea sets, but it’s finding a place to keep them. A lot was sold, but rings from deceased relatives were kept in a box and offered to us dils when we got married.

I intend to stay with barely nothing to keep things simple for my boys when I die.