Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson hiding food.

(54 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 18-May-19 09:36:37

My gs is 10 and I look after him 2 days a week.Last week I noticed that he rushed in before me and had unpacked his bag and lunch box .He had never done this before.Next day he ran quickly round to the bins as soon as we got in.All his sandwiches were hidden under the rubbish.I didn't let him know I knew but yesterday I asked him what he was putting in the bin and he said it was just wrappers.I will tell his Dad next week but any advice welcome.

paddyann Sun 19-May-19 22:39:27

Abeluana maybe start a new thread for this ,it'll just get lost in the current one.For now I'd say do what the new parents want.Its their baby and up to them who is at the hospital/birth.Dont start off on the wrong foot by trying to go over their heads .Many parents dont want other people ...and grandparents count as "others" around.They'll let you know when baby arrives and all is well

moggie57 Fri 24-May-19 02:30:41

i would ask gs why his sandwiches are in the bin. he would more than likely talk to you than to his parents.maybe he doesnt like what is in them.. ask him ...tell him you are concerned that he is not getting enough food,and ask him what he had for lunch instead of his sandwiches.

absent Fri 24-May-19 05:45:57

I think it is important to find out why he is not eating his sandwiches. Has he been accused/bullied about being fat? Is he upset about slaughtering animals for food and would rather have something vegetarian but is not sure how to ask? Has he simply become bored with ham and cheese but it still pops up every lunchtime? Are there other issues in school that have taken away his appetite? Do other children have more elaborate delicatessen-style packed lunches? Would he prefer to have school lunches (if they serve them) rather than a packed lunch? Do his friends have school lunches (if they serve them) and he feels isolated? Is his lunch box a source of humour for other kids because of its decoration?

There are so many apparently little issues that can seem insurmountable to a child.