Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sugar

(48 Posts)
Newquay Fri 31-May-19 05:10:24

On holiday with DD and family. Separate self catering accommodation. All get on very well together. While preparing a meal at theirs couldn’t help but notice huge amounts of sugary fizzy drinks and chocs and sweets. We’re all tall and slim so weight not a problem but I know I have a sweet tooth and it requires a huge effort to control it. I just don’t buy a lot of sweet stuff. When DGC come to ours they know drinks are water/milk/tea. Ribena/orange juice sometimes. Just cos we’re slim doesn’t mean we don’t have to watch sugar levels does it? Dare I/how could I say anything?

Houndi Fri 31-May-19 11:30:45

I have just watched that youtube pure white deadly thank you so informative.On the whole i do keep to a Italian diet
My main concern is my brother who consumes a ridiculous amount of sugar.While he has been staying with us he has been getting through bags of it.Yesterday when he came to vist and we didnt have any for his tea or cereal he became more ratty as the day went on.I am wondering if hecwas having withdrawl symptoms becausexhe wasnt getting his fix.He has already rotted all his teeth from coke and sugary sweets .As he is slim bulid he wont have it he is doing any harm.He just says he would get dentures for his teeth

gmelon Fri 31-May-19 11:32:39

I'd say nothing. It's not your choice what they eat.
You are enjoying a lovely holiday. Just get on with concentrating on the pleasure of being with your family. Don't marr your time together.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 31-May-19 11:33:02

Buffybee
Agree.Whatever regulations one has in ones home stays in ones home.

Theoddbird Fri 31-May-19 11:34:03

Not your place to say something so don't. Also it might just be a holiday thing. People always eat differently and have treats when on holiday

gmelon Fri 31-May-19 11:50:49

*mar. Not marr.

Menopauselbitch Fri 31-May-19 12:28:09

I realise sugar is getting a bashing at the moment but really it’s saturated fat that is evil. Sugar on mass of course isn’t good for you but then nothing on mass in. I would be happier seeing full sugar drinks in their cupboard than drinks containing sweeteners. They are in nearly every brand drink we buy, they put them in cereals and sweets. People do not understand how bad they are for you.

EllanVannin Fri 31-May-19 12:42:00

I reckon that " sweeteners " are worse for you than sugar because aspartame is continuing to be used and it's deadly stuff.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 31-May-19 12:43:01

I too would assume that this was a holiday treat and I would not mention it.

Go on giving your grandchildren milk, water etc.

What you might be able to do without giving offence to your DD is to mention that you have decided to entirely give up fizzy drinks at to be careful of sweets as you are concerned about diabetes 2.

This won't of course stop her serving sweet things for her children, unless it sparks off a conversation about how dangerous sugary things are.

Happiyogi Fri 31-May-19 13:31:45

I think if the drinks were a holiday "treat" the OP would already have heard lots of talk about it from her grandchildren. And her daughter too.

I'd suggest having a gentle, quiet word with her daughter in private to express her concern. Definitely not in front of the children though. Sugary drinks are bad on so many levels, and will definitely not contribute anything positive to the lives of children.

KatyK Fri 31-May-19 13:50:57

My daughter wouldn't consider it to be any of my business what she feeds her child. Fortunately she has always fed her a good healthy diet. I would only offer advice if asked for it.

JohnD Fri 31-May-19 13:58:17

While on holiday ......... are the children racing around and outside for long periods. They may be consuming these then exercising and negating the worst effects.

PamelaJ1 Fri 31-May-19 14:05:59

You don’t say how old your GC are but I have found with mine that the school seems to be giving advice.
Along with saving water and teaching that we have to look after the world.
It could be that they will start educating their parents?.

3dognight Fri 31-May-19 14:34:20

Very true Pamela.

The general consensus seems to be 'keep it zipped' and I agree.

You don't want bad holiday vibes off your daughter if you say anything, just go with the flow, and enjoy Newquay and your time together.

annep1 Fri 31-May-19 15:21:30

I have just been reading The Pioppi Diet and it highlights a lot of research indicating that sugar is very bad for your health and related to cardiovascular disease.we don't need it at all We need a certain amount of fats.

Newquay Fri 31-May-19 16:54:44

Thanks all of you for your input. I know in my heart to keep quiet.
Sadly it’s not holiday treats only but must say they generally have very healthy diets with lots of fruit and veg and lots of activity too.
Ironically i’ve Jokingly come out to the family as a “cake oholic” which is the subject of much laughter. I rarely bake now, only for visitors and usually things like scones/flapjacks. So the whole family knows of the problem but as you all wisely say I shall say nowt and just try to lead by example.

SueDonim Fri 31-May-19 16:59:32

Good decision, Newquay. smile

Btw, I was up late, not early, in my previous post - I'm in America so am some hours behind the UK!

moggie57 Fri 31-May-19 18:38:04

i would gently hint that sugar makes people hyper active and causes bad teeth... but it is up to them ,you could leave a few pamphlets around though...

GranEd Fri 31-May-19 18:49:35

Don’t worry Newquay I’m sure they’ll be fine
We all have to button our lips sometimes don’t we. ?

paddyann Fri 31-May-19 19:55:45

I think you have to let your daughter bring up HER family her way.You no doubt raised your children how you wanted ..without interference so do her and yourself a favour and say nothing

Callistemon Fri 31-May-19 20:44:18

I think that some sugar sometimes is not a bad thing - in fact far better than that revolting aspartame that people are being encouraged to consume.

An overload of anything is not a good thing.

I would not interfere; my DC have very different ideas about the consumption of soft drinks by their own DC and I leave it up to them.

Deedaa Fri 31-May-19 22:31:16

Our dentist has a row of plastic cups on the receptionist's desk. They are filled with the amount of sugar that a cup of various drinks contain. None of them are drinks that I normally have (Lucozade - Blaaaa) but the quantities of sugar are frightening.

Luckylegs Sat 01-Jun-19 09:28:01

I have a book from the 70’s called “Pure, white and deadly” but it’s written by someone else who’s name completely escapes me at the moment and I’m away from home so I can’t get to it. How strange! That two books with identical titles about sugar could be published at the same time? I was shocked but I still crave sugar and probably have too much sometimes.