Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

They Are Trying Their Best, but I am Still Human

(95 Posts)
DinaLK Fri 07-Jun-19 13:23:44

We have adult sons. Here is what I feel would be an ideal communication:

They call me daily (I'll settle for weekly or even bi-weekly). We talk about "anything." Sometimes it may be 5 minutes, longer if I'm lucky. We close the conversation with "I Love You."

Reality Communication: I call or text them. No return call or text. One day passes, two days pass, three days pass ... I call or text once again thinking maybe they just some how missed the call or didn't see the text. No return call or text. Finally, make contact. They seem annoyed. I feel neglected. Communication consists of mostly silence followed with "good talking with you... love you." (click)

Example exchange:
Me: Hey, how're you doing today?
Him: Good
Me: What cha' up to right now?
Him: Trying to find something for supper. (He pulls out frozen beef and says "oh I can't cook that because it's frozen" and then puts it back in the frig. and goes to find something else to cook)
Me: Oh, I cook beef from it's frozen state quite often. Not a problem. (I say this as calm and non-threatening as possible.. not at all meant as telling him what to do. Just simple conversation - I thought).
Him: Sounding annoyed, he says I know. I'll find something else.

That is only an example of how "communication" goes between us probably most of the time. No matter how hard I try to make sure I am aware of my tone and not come across as "his mother telling him what to do" I just can't seem to get it right. I would love to have an adult relationship with our sons, but I feel they can't stop seeing me as only their mother.

Does this make any sense?

I understand about letting them live their lives. I understand about "cutting apron strings." And I understand that I need to focus on my life and stay-busy.
It's not those things. I just simply would like to have ordinary, calming conversations with our sons. Strengthen and nurture our relationship as adult individuals. Surely that can't be an unrealistic expectation.

Thanks, once again, for reading my "feelings."

Elvive Sat 08-Jun-19 16:28:01

You are their mother and you will always be there mother. You can negotiate some sort of relationship with them as " just" people.

It certainly takes a bit of working out though!

Flossieturner Sat 08-Jun-19 16:20:33

That is such a wonderful update. We are never to old to learn.

When my last 2 grandchildren were born, I asked my DiL if it was OK to take them to see Santa or was that something she wanted to do herself? She said ‘it was fine, but thank you for being so considerate in asking’. The truth was, that it did not occur to me to ask the parents of the previous 6 GCs, I just did it. The reason I asked her was because I read on Mumsnet that some Mums think that only they should do it. Since reading MN I have checked my own behaviour several times in how I deal with my DCs and GCs.

DinaLK Sat 08-Jun-19 16:03:36

I so appreciate and value each and every one of your posts. I have read each comment, including the one who said they are glad I’m not their mother. For the remainder Positive feedbacks, your replies are so valuable and encouraging. Your candid responses are very helpful. I can say that I have a more peaceful perspective and plan to replace expectations with more thankfulness. Thank You!!

discodiva Sat 08-Jun-19 15:07:36

Welcome to my mum's world with regard to her sons (my three brothers). One keeps regular contact, the second has to be called because he'd never call her and the other one is gallivanting around the world and never thinks to contact anyone although always calls her up on her birthday and at Xmas time. She never complains about lack of contact because she's used to it now (she's 87 years old) but I'm sure if my sister and I didn't keep in regular weekly contact she'd feel differently.

Anyway I wouldn't get hung up about it. You may find as they get older things will change but like my mum, don't bank on it. Just enjoy the times when you do speak.

GeorgyGirl Sat 08-Jun-19 14:39:49

I feel for you Dina, it seems to be a sign of the times I think.

keffie Sat 08-Jun-19 14:07:02

Men dont in general (there are always exceptions) do phones or calls unless there is a reason. It's generally the same with small talk even when they were at home.

My daughter lives abroad. We talk once a week. Sometimes more if she has stuff going on. We visit every other few years.

One lad still at home. Not a big talker. He's good with emotional stuff though.

Eldest married with two children. I look after their eldest once a week so I see him once a week plus any variable information calls in between time.

He comes down once a month with our DiL and 2 grandchildren at the weekend for lunch.

Youngest son is in N-Z so it's mainly Facetime, email and text. Occasionally he comes home. I have yet to visit. Utterly dreading it as it's such a long one

We hold there hands a little while and let them fly. That way they come back. Lowering your expectations has been suggested and is right.

Before our eldest got married we would meet up once a fortnight and go for food together. That way something is happening and is more relaxed. Eating together is intimate bonding

I think to finish its quality, not quantity of contact. Perhaps you need to find more interests if your feeling lonely and redundant

We dont stop being mom's. The role of Mom just changes. Keep the home fires burning so they know where to run to if they need too.

vivonce Sat 08-Jun-19 14:03:46

Mostly I talk to my cat! Sad eh? I don't believe it is loneliness, because contact with good friends is regular and comes naturally.

My son died age 28 and he had always phoned me most days, a loving caring young man. My husband died 11 years ago. My second (and last child) seems not to care about keeping in touch. She lives three hours drive from here (I don't drive but have done tons of commuting).
She has a ten-year-old son, my only grandchild and I was there constantly minding him in his first year.

The loving GS is the one who phones - or has done half a dozen times, each time a wonderful surprise, and he is the one person who says 'I love you'. My DD or S-i-l might come on the line briefly.
If I commute now, it is to meet up for lunch, and they come for a weekend about four times a year. The boy has many weekend activities and both adults work at home.
Over the years, the dwindling contact which used to hurt, has become acceptable.
The countless emails I send are usually ignored, likewise the voicemails. OK, their lives are busier than mine!

B9exchange Sat 08-Jun-19 13:39:33

Goodness, it is wonderful that so many of you speak to your AC or get text replies so often!

I have one AS abroad, he doesn't believe in Skype, doesn't answer phone calls, doesn't repond to texts. I will get a text if he wants something, and when I reply with what he wants I get a rare 'Thnkx Mum'. I always send him lots of love, but he just doesn't feel the need of a mum's love anymore.

DS2 we help out with weekly childcare, so see him then. DD we also help with childcare, so see her once or twice a week.

DS3 has just become a proud father, so at the moment we are receiving frequent updates, which is lovely!

Daisyboots Sat 08-Jun-19 13:29:26

I live abroad and 5 of my 6 AC live in England. One DS lives in the same country to me about 1.5 hours away. Dont usually see or hear much from them although since my diagnosus a month ago I have seen him and my DDiL twice and they are messaging more. After my second treatment yesterday it was friends that messaged me rather than my AC. The two youngest did message me but nothing from the other 4. If I text my eldest DD you would think she was replying to a casual acquaintance and not her mother. A phone call lasts 5 minutes tops and is hard work. Yet last year we spent 3 days at a spa hotel and had a wonderful time together. It's not even as if she leads a busy life or has lots of friends.
Obviously my cancer diagnosis is not so important to them as it is to me. Perhaps I will leave off the weekly messaging and just send a message about once a month as a PP suggested 'I'm still alive. Are you?'

Horatia Sat 08-Jun-19 13:17:56

If I talk to my sons on the phone, it seems forced and hard to make the conversation flow, so I dont without a very good reason. We text just occassionally. If we visit each other we talk for hours happily and naturally. I find the using the phone not too easy with my sons, yet I can talk on the phone for hours to my daughter.

Mimidl Sat 08-Jun-19 12:52:31

My son is back home, so I can’t get away from him ?
My eldest DD moved out and calls probably 10 times a day. As much as I love her, I don’t really have time to keep her company by talking to her on the phone while she walks to and from work or while she’s on her lunch break. (Especially when I’m at work!)
However I do have a good relationship with all the children, chat to them often and always say ‘I love you’ when ending a call.

Lupin Sat 08-Jun-19 12:31:04

When things are normally rolling along my daughters and I speak on the phone once every couple or three weeks. They do not live nearby. Otherwise we text. We seem to get a vibe that it's time to talk. We have an enjoyable catch up that covers all manner of topics.
Like one or two others I had a mum who needed to know where I was at any moment of any day and if I wasn't there she would panic and track me down somehow. It was very wearing and I could not bear to do this to my own children.
I have been unwell for a while now ( much improved lately) and I've been very moved and appreciative of how caring my children have been, and the communication increased while we all needed it to. Now that I'm getting better we are going back to our previous way of keeping in touch. I think we would all feel constrained if we felt we had to ring up every day. Their lives are hectic anyway, as mine once was when I had a family to care for and a full time and demanding job, and I value my independence.
What I'm trying to say is they will be there if you need them and don't crowd them with too many expectations.
I hope things get better for you and you find a way that works for all of you.

Starlady Sat 08-Jun-19 12:27:39

"Him: Trying to find something for supper. (He pulls out frozen beef and says "oh I can't cook that because it's frozen" and then puts it back in the frig. and goes to find something else to cook)
Me: Oh, I cook beef from it's frozen state quite often. Not a problem. (I say this as calm and non-threatening as possible.. not at all meant as telling him what to do. Just simple conversation - I thought).
Him: Sounding annoyed, he says I know. I'll find something else."

Sigh... I know. You're answering him the way you would a friend, etc. But chances are, he takes it as if you're (subtly) trying to tell him what to do. You're his mum, and he may see it that way, no matter how you phrase it. Perhaps a better reply would be, "Oh. Well, hope you find something else" or "Oh, well I'm sure you'll find something else." Then maybe you'll get a non-annoyed, "Yes, I will."

Or maybe even just say, "Ok, I'll leave you to it. Just wanted to say hello and that I love you." Then perhaps you'll just get a "Love you, too, Mum" back and end the conversation happily.

I'm not trying to tell you what to say, just making suggestions. My point is, it might be better not to comment on what your DSs are doing, at all, since they seem to take it the wrong way. If they end up feeling annoyed w/ these conversations, they're less likely to want to have them. If the conversations are comfortable, then, perhaps they'll be more likely to respond. Or not. But as long as you have loving DSs and you're not estranged, I think you're doing ok!

Starlady Sat 08-Jun-19 12:18:22

DD and I communicate mostly by Skype (about once a week) and FB messages (less often). Also, I see a lot of her and SIL's goings on through my FB Newsfeed. These might be options for you, Dina.

"Here is what I feel would be an ideal communication:

They call me daily (I'll settle for weekly or even bi-weekly). We talk about "anything." Sometimes it may be 5 minutes, longer if I'm lucky. We close the conversation with "I Love You." "

Beautiful! But not the reality in many cases (not just yours). Please don't judge reality by your vision of what's ideal. Your DSs probably have a very different idea of how the communication should be. In fact, IMO, this is a classic case of mismatched expectations.

"Reality Communication: I call or text them. No return call or text. One day passes, two days pass, three days pass ... I call or text once again thinking maybe they just some how missed the call or didn't see the text. No return call or text. Finally, make contact. They seem annoyed. I feel neglected. "

So sorry this situation hurts you! Hugs! I think you need to get over the idea, though, that "maybe they... missed the call or didn't see the text." That leads you to calling/texting more which is why, by the time you reach them, they "seem annoyed." My guess is they are annoyed b/c to them, it just looks as if you are "constantly" calling or texting.

Maybe if you back off a little, they'll wonder "where you are," and reach out themselves. What I mean is, maybe, call/text in the beginning of the week and then wait... don't give into the temptation to call/text again until they reply. If they don't, either try again the next week (same thing, just once and then wait) or don't call or text anymore until they do. They will, eventually, I'm sure.

newnanny Sat 08-Jun-19 12:12:56

My dd lives away I text her when i have news to share or ring sometimes when I just think of her. She does the same sometimes she text or rings every week other times misses a week. My two sons still live at home and I have a good relationship with both. My eldest works long hours and gets home late but often has a day off in the week and takes me for a carvery to catch up. My youngest son works shifts and we often go for a breakfast together. Both chat to me in evenings before going to their own rooms.

Gelisajams Sat 08-Jun-19 11:56:25

I have 3 adult sons. If I don’t hear from no3 son for a month a wonder what he’s up to. Is I don’t hear from no2son after a week I get quite concerned. If no1 son doesn’t answer a text or call immediately I wonder if I need to ring the police!
Nice that they are all different!

moorlikeit Sat 08-Jun-19 11:47:15

DinaLK, I feel for you but fear that there may be little that you can do to remedy the situation. It does seem that men are far worse at communication in whatever form but particularly chatting on the phone. My husband conforms to this stereotype. Although one SIL does not so there are exceptions!
I have not read every comment here so someone may already have suggested going for "radio silence" for a month or so just to see what happens. If you receive no communication, you could text: "Still alive, hope you are" after the given time. Maybe it would jolt them into facing the fact that you won't always be there and that they should make time for you while they can. Alternatively and I pose this with all due respect: what about introducing different topics of conversation e.g. steer clear of their work lives and your daily experiences and see whether that elicits a more positive result. My husband likes talking about vegetables and succulents - fact based subjects are often more appealing to men. Also timing calls/texts for the least stressful times of their day e.g. noon on Sundays might also help.
My 2 DDs have busy lives, both at work and socially. My eldest daughter now has a one-year-old who is still demand feeding and waking many times through the night BUT we still communicate by phone and text nearly every day but at least a couple of times a week. As we are retired it usually times with their journeys home (they phone me). We have to contend with the noise of wind, traffic, rowdy people and sirens but I wouldn't have it any other way!
We can chat for hours covering many diverse topics including personal updates, grandchild's latest developments (we live a a long journey/short flight away), the news/politics, the arts, books/podcasts and on and on. The idea that phone calls are only for arrangements strikes me as odd but each to their own. We never run out of topics for discussion and I highly value my adult daughters continuing active presence in our lives.
By the way, one daughter always ends with "I love you" the other never. Just as in person one is a hugger the other not. Even in one small family each member is very different from the other.
I really hope that communications with your sons turn a corner and make you feel valued again.

Sara65 Sat 08-Jun-19 11:46:50

I see all of my children every day, as we all work in the family business!

paddyann Sat 08-Jun-19 11:44:47

Mine do call every day my daughter will say I love you but not my son ,its not his way.He did however come in and ask me to their 28 week baby scan yesterday .I was in two minds about going as I think these should be parents only but I went and I'm glad I did .I was very emotional as their baby weighs exactly the same as he did when he was born ,not much over a kilo.The scan was a 4d one so we could see her wee face and I ended up in tears.I KNOW my son loves me I dont need him to tell me every day and I would think your children are the same .Be grateful for what you have ,if they are hard working ,good hearted people you've done a good job.

Yearoff Sat 08-Jun-19 11:38:52

I’m so lucky. My adult DC call me everyday, the girls multiple times. I was s single parent for the latter part of their childhood and I now babysit my two youngest GC while my daughters work. I think I’m blessed that my son is so close to me as my own DB can be a bit lacking in calling out own mum (whom I call daily). I think it’s just different families and different levels of communication. We have all always been close and I’m very very grateful for that. One of my DDs had a falling out with her DS and that put so much stress on the family dynamics so I’m eternally grateful that things are back to normal now.

Nannyfrance Sat 08-Jun-19 11:34:35

I also have two sons and was very much involved in caring for the children of one son, usually three times a week and school holidays. Since my grandchildren no longer need supervision, I rarely get any communication from them, unless of course they want something or an invitation to a family gathering. I understand they are busy people and we have little in common to talk about. I tend to keep in touch via their posts on Facebook. Sad but at least I know they are ok. I hope I will never have to depend on my kids.

Jenty61 Sat 08-Jun-19 11:31:01

my son, daughter in law and grandson live over 150 miles away from me, we skype every week for a good hour. I know I can contact him anytime via text, email, phone and he will be there for me if I needed him. Likewise if he needs me. They travel down to see me once every two months.
Of course I would love more contact with them and no doubt they feel the same. unrealistic expectation.
We as parents sometimes have unrealistic expectations of our kids when they have their own families, be grateful for a little contact, it sure as hell is better than none at all!

Disgruntled Sat 08-Jun-19 11:03:11

I do wish there was a 'like' button on here. I agree, Patticake, Eric Berne knew a thing or two, didn't he.

tanith Sat 08-Jun-19 11:02:31

My two daughters and their children, mostly grown ups, live nearby. My eldest daughter is recovering from a stroke so at the moment I’m seeing her more than I would if she was working as she is recovering at home. I see my younger daughter at least 3/4 times a week and we text each other often and go to the gym together 2/3 times a week we are good friends.
My son lives abroad with his family and usually calls or texts when he wants something or to confirm travel plans if I’m booked to go and visit them usually 2/3 times a year.

My eldest GS rings and texts all the time with news and just to check I’m ok since losing DH a few months ago I’m invited to dinner with his little family every week taking a homemade dessert with me.
I do find I miss my son a lot and probably get more info on his life and doings from his lovely partner in life, that seems to be typical of sons it seems.

angelic Sat 08-Jun-19 10:55:22

I feel the relationship is very different with Boys.
I see how things are with my Sister-in-law and her Daughters, I have always been very sad that I don’t have that with my Sons, (Adopted, Mental Health Issues, very long story!)