Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What takes priority?

(70 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:39:49

Looking round the house this morning I noticed that every room looked untidy.I had to go out this morning but now that I am home I'm too tired to tidy and just want to get on with reading the paper and catching up with the online world.

Doodle Mon 17-Jun-19 13:46:24

Then do so. I get tired easily these days and no longer able to do the housework in the same way.
I have taken to spreading the work out over the week with a bit of tidying one day, dusting and hoovering another etc. I have to take several breaks to sit and read in between.

lmm6 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:47:41

I keep an enormous shopping bag in my kitchen on the floor. Then whenever I spot a bit of paper, a letter, a magazine, pen, box of tissues, scarf, even a pair of shoes etc etc that is in the wrong place I just throw it into the bag. Then when I'm in the mood I take the items out one by one and put them where they should be. My house is consequently fairly tidy.

TwiceAsNice Mon 17-Jun-19 13:48:59

If you want to tidy the 15 minute rule is a good start. Set a timer, start in one part of the room and put away or throw away a small space at a time Move all around the room in stages ( resting in between) until you have done a whole room . Repeat other days with other rooms. When everything has a place it is easier to clean one room at a time

crazyH Mon 17-Jun-19 13:49:10

What a brilliant idea imm6

Gonegirl Mon 17-Jun-19 14:06:38

I think going out should take priority. If you do housework first you will be too tired to go out, and then life could become dismal.

callgirl1 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:34:37

I thought I was the only one who cleaned in stages. I think my daughters think I`m being idle though. I have one main cleaning day, but sit down in between jobs, consequently it takes me all morning to do just a few jobs. Then the rest of the week I get the hoover out if the carpets look bitty, and do a quick dust every 2 or 3 days. I can`t stand long to do ironing, so limit myself to 30 to 40 minutes, the rest waits till next time. I love the odd time when there is no ironing waiting!

SalsaQueen Mon 17-Jun-19 17:46:18

I'm sure we all have days like that. Don't do whatever isn't necessary, if you're tired or don't feel like it.

My own priorities:
Do any washing-up, or put it in the dishwasher.
Wipe kitchen surfaces, empty bin.

Wipe around the toilet, the seat and lid, put Zoflora down the bowl.
Wipe the washbasin and shower after they've been used.

Put old newspaper/recycling stuff in the green bin.

Do the washing, hang it on the line or clothes horse.

Vacuuming, polishing, mopping, ironing, etc., can all be done when I've got more time/inclination.

petra Mon 17-Jun-19 17:48:15

callgirl
Some years ago I had a very bad back and could only iron sitting down.
At first it just seemed so awkward but I had no option.
I haven't stood to do the ironing since.
It does help that I like ironing.

Sara65 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:52:38

I’ve got lazier as I’ve gotten older, I’m still working, so cleaning has to be squeezed into the weekend when I’d rather be doing something else! I do mine slightly differently, I clean thoroughly, but I never do every room every week apart from kitchen and bathrooms, the challenge is remembering what I’ve done!

Greenfinch Mon 17-Jun-19 18:52:07

SalsaQueen my priorities exactly except that I do the washing first.

kircubbin2000 Mon 17-Jun-19 19:04:16

I do very little ironing. Perhaps a top and t shirt twice a week.

Marydoll Mon 17-Jun-19 19:37:43

Greenfinch, I have exactly the same routine as you!
Always washing first, I can't bear it lying around.

SalasQueen, I'm so fortunate, DH does the the vacuuming, polishing, mopping, ironing, etc. It has taken me over forty years to achieve this! grin

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 19:47:55

One of those handheld rechargeable vacuum cleaners can make a great difference to your life!

10 minutes whizzing round with one of those, a quick round with a duster on a stick from Ikea makes all the difference. Doors can be kept shut too!
Clean the loos, ditto the kitchen sink and surfaces.

We do tend to tidy quite well as we go (apart from piles of paperwork, books etc in the study, but that has a door too).

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 19:49:55

Actually, it's just me - I have just glanced across and DH must have a couple of pieces of paper in a tray next to his PC, a pair of specs and a neat container for pens etc.

My side is chaos.

BradfordLass72 Tue 18-Jun-19 07:31:34

I leave it all to my housekeeper grin

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jun-19 08:01:09

I am sure that no-one looks back on their life and thinks they did not do enough tidying!

travelsafar Tue 18-Jun-19 08:51:05

I think going out and being with people should be the highest priority. It is on mine. Next is the kitchen and bathroom being clean not necessary to be tidy but has to be clean. Washing obviously. My Garden is a huge priority in my life as well i was working in it most of the day yesterday to make use of the fine dry weather. Today my daughter is my priority as she needs me to do something for her and that makes me happy to be still needed by my 'little girl'. smile

annifrance Tue 18-Jun-19 11:06:24

Dishwasher and washing machine first, bathroom, kitchen sink and worktops, floors. the rest can just wait.

although I do keep fairly tidy as I go along and I can't leave the house without making the bed!

NemosMum Tue 18-Jun-19 11:20:38

Agree that dishes and worktops come first, then anything that needs doing in the bathroom/loo. Get any washing in the washer. Set the robot vac away, plump the cushions and chuck out yesterday's newspaper. Do the ironing when there's something good on the radio. Anything else has to wait until I'm in the mood!
I can highly recommend the robot vac, by the way. I only wish it would do the stairs!

Marybel Tue 18-Jun-19 11:22:55

I remember my grandma saying - wash the dishes and the kitchen looks tidy, clean the hearth and the living room looks tidy and make the bed etc., etc.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:25:58

Get a cleaner - that makes you tidy up!!!

jaylucy Tue 18-Jun-19 11:28:45

Keep your kitchen and bathroom clean and tidy first - I have been throwing out loads of bits and pieces over the last few weeks that belonged to my mother - most of which I donated to charity shops.
I now, where possible, do one room at a time to tidy it and give it a thorough clean - though if I don't feel like it, I don't and just do what I feel like be it read the newspaper, go out for a walk or go shopping!

shysal Tue 18-Jun-19 11:34:02

Housework is last on my list of priorities. I clear up as I go along, always put things away in their correct place so never actually have to 'tidy'. Do washing when there is a load and smooth it out so that nothing needs ironing, except my sheets because I starch them.
Gardening, however, is a pleasure, not a chore, so I am happy to work hard at it. Each to his own!

Lxrl Tue 18-Jun-19 11:35:19

For me, kitchen and bathrooms need to be clean. Then the living room, if there is clutter, I put it all in a wash basket, vacuum/mop, and dust. Then I deal with the clutter as and when I can. Bedrooms come last on the priority list for me, as no one else sees them! I always keep my entrance hallway clean in case I have a delivery.
There is a website that has a swear word in the title so I shan't link it, but it's aimed at people who've really let the house get on top of them, for whatever reason, workaholic, grief, depression, 5 kids under 5, and it suggests to go around the entire house with a bin bag for the rubbish, then to go round and collect all the laundry, then put a load on, then to go and collect any other clutter or things left on floors, then assess the situation. You'll feel a lot more motivated when the whole place looks a bit tidier just after a couple of whiz-arounds