Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jury service

(60 Posts)
colournanny Sat 22-Jun-19 17:49:10

Hello everyone
My daughter has been called for jury service, she’s quite keen to do this
The problem being is I look after my grandson & the weeks given to her are the same weeks I am away which means she has no childcare
Does anyone know if she will be able to defer ?
Thanks

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:48:19

Legs55 I know how juries work. My point is you need a degree of intelligence to be part of a jury and do the job properly. You must be able to follow the case in court, understand everything and reason together with the other jurors.

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:52:13

My post said I dont think jury service is a good idea. I should have said jury system.

newnanny Thu 04-Jul-19 12:37:03

@gillybob

If a person was at work then they would not be at home with a child. You can claim either one or the other: if at work and have to do jury service then loss of earnings, if at home looking after a child and have to do jury service then childcare. Surely that is fair.

gillybob Thu 04-Jul-19 12:42:41

What isn't fair newnanny is that a £65 does not cover the working day for someone who works a 12 hour shift x 3 days per week and can only claim 3 x £65 (slightly less actually) . Childcare for those who need it should be paid at the full cost.

newnanny Thu 04-Jul-19 12:48:03

I agree childcare should be paid at full rate with receipt for payment made. I understand £65 would not compensate a person for their time but that is the same for everyone and I don't know where they get that figure from. If everyone refused to sit them we would not have the choice of trial by jury. I think it is the duty of all to give up a little time as people usually only get selected once or twice in a lifetime.

gillybob Thu 04-Jul-19 12:51:01

I think it is the duty of all to give up a little time as people usually only get selected once or twice in a lifetime

Very easy to say when you have a mortgage to pay and a family to keep on less than half of your normal weekly wage newnanny. The person I wrote the letter for lives on a knife edge financially anyway and could not do without a penny of their normal weekly income.

annep1 Thu 04-Jul-19 15:46:28

Totally wrong. Even if people can afford to lose it, why should they have to?
I personally think the whole system needs reformed. And I think the government has a damn cheek to compel some people to lose money doing their duty.

dizzygran Sun 27-Oct-19 19:50:38

I got deferred because if child care issues but got recalled a few months later and had to attend. I was able to claim for child care.

LondonGranny Sun 27-Oct-19 20:13:36

I've done it twice and twice I've been out of pocket (it didn't cover my childcare) but it was really interesting and I'm glad I did it. Take a packed lunch is my best advice because the expenses barely covers a sandwich. I had a longish fraud case (over two weeks) the first time (went for a retrial) and cases of theft and handling stolen goods for the second stint a few years later.
My daughter did it too but found it quite harrowing (a really nasty GBH on a pregnant woman). She went back for the sentencing which helped her. He had loads of previous convictions for violent offences (which she didn't know before but came as no surprise) and got a long sentence.