Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tipping on a river cruise

(34 Posts)
Sarahmob Thu 27-Jun-19 08:59:03

We’re getting ready to sail off on a river cruise to celebrate my husband’s birthday. We’ve saved for ages to be able to afford to do it ‘well’ with a good cabin etc. I’ve read the tipping guidelines but am sitting here feeling a bit disgruntled that I’ll be expected to tip as I feel that good service is part of what I’ve paid a lot of money for in terms of the whole holiday. Does anyone else agree with me, or should I just put up and shut up and (very grudgingly) stuff the euros in the envelope at the end of the cruise?

Norah Tue 09-Jul-19 13:40:34

I tip on river cruises. The waiters come from poor countries.

Tedber Wed 10-Jul-19 20:55:19

Hi Sarahmob... so glad you enjoyed your cruise. Tipping is always a much brought up topic! Generally speaking we Brits only tip when we get exceptional service BUT there are certain countries where tips are expected because they form part of the pay (US for example).

My mantra is little but often which was advised to do by an American friend! Something I have stuck to and it seems to work! No matter where we have been, we tip on the first day, drip feed and like the proverbial carrot and donkey...we never fail to get exceptional treatment! Of COURSE , it isn't compulsory in the majority of places BUT if it gets you what you want for little money, then why not?

Doesn't mean you get especially bad treatment if you don't tip btw but people being people, they gel towards those who do tip! Done it myself working in a bar!

Eloethan Wed 10-Jul-19 21:34:34

I agree with Maggiemaybe that the staff on these cruises are probably quite badly paid.

If people don't want to give tips, then they should book with cruise operators who specifically say that no tips are required.

People who routinely take cruises (and many do) obviously are quite comfortably off. They would go down in my estimation too if I knew they were unwilling to pay tips to hard working staff.

Sarahmob I appreciate that you have both saved hard for this special cruise and my previous remarks are not meant for you. I hope you have a lovely time.

Jane10 Wed 10-Jul-19 21:52:53

Sigh. My point is that if we tip then we are encouraging companies to underpay their staff. I'd rather travel with companies that give their staff a proper wage and don't leave them having to suck up to guests for extra cash. By tipping we're only adding to the big cruise companies profits because they can sit back pay poor wages and leave it to us suckers to pay twice - once for the trip then pay again to the staff. Just wrong.

sodapop Wed 10-Jul-19 21:56:02

Totally agree Jane10

Tedber Wed 10-Jul-19 22:45:39

In an ideal world Jane10 but how do you ensure this? As far as some countries are concerned tips are the norm! And as said previously in some countries people work entirely on tips!

How do you ensure this doesn't happen? What companies do you know that insist you don't tip their employees? I am genuinely interested because I haven't met anyone yet who says..don't tip...but then again I haven't been on a cruise so am interested to know IF there are certain lines who forbid tips? TBH...I would be first on it!

Jane10 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:50:31

Just as an example Celebrity, the very large company that owns most of the cruise lines made £40 billion in profits last year. Just one billion of which would have paid their staff a reasonable wage. But no. Those profits went straight into the pockets of the owners and shareholders. Time to hold these companies to account. Paying twice, as those who pay for their cruise and the 'suggested' tips are simply propping up this cynical system. They are taking advantage of the kind hearts of paying passengers and the desperation of poorly paid crew.
Several cruise lines now do not suggest tipping at all.

harrigran Thu 11-Jul-19 09:17:55

If you give in to the Cruise lines you are only perpetuating the low wages and forcing crews to rely on tips.
Married to a man who designed and built ships, we never ever go on cruises,.