Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Turning a double mattress

(34 Posts)
phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 16:36:45

Hello all, and good wishes.

I seem to get into a bit of a pickle over this! Not the physical turning, but which direction confused

I end up doing a sort of "diagram" on paper, something like this:

Mr P Head. Phoenix Head

Mr P Feet. Phoenix Feet

Then I turn the paper over and sort of do the reverse........blush

My parents had a set of beds that had labels on the mattresses, top and bottom on each side (if you know what I mean) that showed the month and position, i.e head end, foot end (well, that's Harrods for you)

Anyway, I'm turning the mattress today, so, do I just turn over, making what was underneath now on top, do I also turn side to side, so what was on the left is now on the right, do I turn top to bottom, or what combination of any of the above? confused

Makesc my brain ache!

(And yes, just to pre empt any comments, I do have other things to worry about)

kittylester Sat 29-Jun-19 16:38:30

By a me.ory foam - you are not supposed to turn those!!

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 16:41:16

No budget for that currently kitty, trying to save up for a "beam me up Scotty" for the bathroom!

mosaicwarts Sat 29-Jun-19 16:47:53

I just pick mine up, pull it towards me and upwards, then push it back onto the frame so it's 'turned' over the once.

I know our heads are heavier than our feet, but thought the pillow would protect the mattress from any damage.

midgey Sat 29-Jun-19 16:51:57

Have you thought of a marker pen and marking the ends and sides? On the whole I think it’s far too hot to be thinking never turning a mattress grin

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 16:56:29

Oh Phoenix, when we had our old mattress, I had sewn coloured thread onto each side!,! 1, 11, 111, 1111.
Now we have a mattress that is so easy to turn, (at the moment) and just flip it each week, head to toe. It came from Spain, and has a woollen top, so we don't turn it over, unless I think it needs a change of scenery.

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 16:58:39

Please Phoenix, what is a ‘beam me up Scotty?’
I meant to put that in the last post, but knocked a glass of water all over everything on the coffee table, blast etc, etc!

H1954 Sat 29-Jun-19 17:00:08

I used to turn mine over sideways one month and top to bottom the next month. By doing that I got his side and he got mine and then heads were rested where feet used to be respectively!

Got a new mattress now, bigger bed one mattress each which only require spinning round so top goes to bottom.

Job sorted.

craftyone Sat 29-Jun-19 17:02:16

hypnos singles, needing turning or flipping every quarter. Easy peasy knowing which way, wrote 1234 on appropriate ends in black felt tip

ninathenana Sat 29-Jun-19 17:05:51

Auntieflo I suspect it's a walk in shower.
Can I claim my prize pheonix ?

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 17:07:00

Ah, but, what if your co sleeper is (currently) heavier than you?

Auntieflo a "beam me up Scottie" is something that until a few months ago I didn't know existed, then my plumber showed me one, and now I want one!

I would attempt a link, but have never got the hang of it on a tablet, but if you Google "shower steam jaccuzi bath " you might find it!

ninathenana Sat 29-Jun-19 17:07:13

DH (it's too blinkin heavy for me) turns top to bottom and next time side to side.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Jun-19 17:09:22

I have a Dunlopillo mattress which says " this side up " so it stays that way smile Just as well as it weighs a ton !

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 17:14:25

ninathenana close, but a bit more than a walk in shower!

Apparently, apart from the shower, it's also a steam cabin, the bottom bit is a Jacuzzi bath, and it has colour changing LED lights! I thought that was a bit OTT, then the plumber said it also came with Wi-Fi sound!! shock

So, basically, you could stand under the shower, and having selected the right colour of lighting, join in with Prince singing "Purple Rain" grin

DanniRae Sat 29-Jun-19 17:25:06

I have no set routine regarding my mattress - I just turn it straight over or change top to bottom when it occurs to me.

Maybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 17:36:02

Our mattress only needs turning from end to end, not to be turned over.
Mind you I do rely on DSinL to do this for me quarterly.

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 18:00:43

Phoenix, when you get it, can we have a picture? Course, you have to be in it, (artistically) smile with purple hair!

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 18:04:56

Just Googled it, my, they do look scrumptious. But seeing that we had our bathroom done a couple of years ago, not to mention that there’s not enough room sad, I don’t think we’ll be having one any time soon.

Bellasnana Sat 29-Jun-19 18:05:10

Since DH died, I’ve struggled with flipping the mattress as it is quite heavy. It also has no handles on it which is not very helpful either.

Basically, I do as mosaicwarts describes, pull it down to the end of the bed and flip it back on itself, usually destroying anything that happens to be on the bedside tables.

Juliet27 Sat 29-Jun-19 18:07:59

Reminds me of when I used to stay at my grandparents when I was little. I couldn’t understand why the neighbours at the front of the house were on the left but at the back they were on the right! confused

Teacheranne Sat 29-Jun-19 18:10:24

My new mattress does not need turning over, just end to end. But I have to do it on my own which with my arthritis is fun! I should do it more often than I do but I reckon as there is only one person in the bed, it can last a bit longer. Then it's a case of pull the mattress off the bed sideways, run round the bed and flip the mattress on its end and push hard, hoping that it lands on the bed not on the floor! Then after a rest, lots of tugging usually gets it straight again. If anyone was watching me, I'm sure they would be helpless with laughter!

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 18:11:55

Auntieflo it's not a case of "when" I/we get one, more "if"! And currently it's not looking likely............

I have been trying to persuade Mr P that the steam aspect would be beneficial for my COPD

tanith Sat 29-Jun-19 19:37:51

My mattress just needs to be turned without flipping it over.
I slide it around on the divan base it’s heavy but it actually slides really easily.

kittylester Sat 29-Jun-19 19:49:30

Aren't you all organised!!

annodomini Sat 29-Jun-19 20:06:50

I haven't had mine for long enough to have turned it, but it can only be turned top to bottom. Even I should be able to manage that,