Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cling film

(37 Posts)
Keeper1 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:44:18

I have lost count of the rolls of cling film that end up in such a tangle it is impossible use. I probably should try a dispenser but now try to use containers.

GrandadShaggy Thu 04-Jul-19 14:36:45

My wife has a cling film sort of machiney thing which I have seen her use very successfully smile

Daddima Thu 04-Jul-19 14:32:06

My friend keeps hers in the fridge, and says that stops this happening

Grannyknot Thu 04-Jul-19 14:28:26

grannygravy I make my own beeswax wraps from organic cotton. Method is on YouTube and materials from Amazon. They're terrific. I've forgotten about the horrors of clingwrap since I switched. Food wrapped in beeswax wraps lasts better too.

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-19 11:58:53

I have their dispenser, though it may not be the most up-to-date one. It's had the same roll of film in it for years! I use it straight from the dispenser and cut it off when the receptacle is covered. So no wastage. I also use containers where possible. If the cling film is still clean, I can put it in the recycling bin.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:48:41

Tend to use containers whenever possible as I am cutting down on single use plastic.

There is an eco friendly alternative made from beeswax- washable and reusable- beebeewraps.com (I am not connected to company just interested in eco friendly products)

Elegran Thu 04-Jul-19 11:37:19

Have you tried Lakeland Plastic's dispenser? It does really work - www.lakeland.co.uk/7518/Wrapmaster-Foil-and-Cling-Dispenser
and they also have film that is perforated every 30 cm ready for tearing www.lakeland.co.uk/7518/Wrapmaster-Foil-and-Cling-Dispenser - I've not tried that but it sounds good, going by the reviews.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:33:06

I have not bought any for ages for the same reason- a waste of money.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 11:31:01

I gave up with this stuff a long time ago as I used to end up throwing it away pretty well as soon as it was opened.
What a fool of an invention. I mainly use foil.

Maybelle Thu 04-Jul-19 11:27:15

Not just me fighting it then !
Don't use very often but struggle every time to unroll what is needed and usually lay it out on the work top, cutting it with a sharp knife.

Septimia Thu 04-Jul-19 11:26:07

I have exactly the same problem. I'm giving it up - it's bad for the environment anyway.

Lindylou23 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:13:39

Does anyone have a problem with cling film? It does not matter which one I buy, it is so good it clings to itself ?,I can only manage to tear off about 4 inches wide. Any recommendations please