Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Competitive other GP

(102 Posts)
Dontaskme Fri 05-Jul-19 10:18:49

I haven't really shared this as after what happened with my last GC (totally estranged forever, will never see or hear from them ever) which is making me feel very, umm, insecure already and this isn't helping.
A different AC's partner is about to give birth next month. That's beautiful, brilliant, fantastic BUT her Mother is sooooo competitive its making me seriously want to tell her to drop dead, which I wouldn't obviously but I feel so p'd off. She has already made the statement that she is going to be, and I quote, "favourite Nanny". Everything I do or say she contradicts or googles or texts someone to check details and comes back to me with "actually blah blah blah". I walked the AC dog yesterday as they are away for couple of days and left a note saying how good he was and how happy he as to see me - went back this morning after the other future GP had been in last night to find a note saying "Shep is ALWAYS happy to see me and is always so excited when he just hears my voice".

Its driving me bonkers and I don't even see her often. I'm dreading what is going to happen when the baby is actually here. I don't want to be in competition with anyone, I just want to be able to enjoy my Grandchild.

Jackie1980 Sun 14-Jul-19 22:10:19

I have 3 grandchildren from my 2 sons and I have discovered that the maternal grandmother usually has more contact with the grandchildren it happens to me all the time. I am the 2nd class Grandma in both cases and instead of letting it destroy my sanity I've had to just 'suck it up'. It is extremely upsetting at times but I'm the only one who ends up in tears and no one else even knows how I feel as I did try and talk to one of my sons once and it all got taken out of context and I was told his family was his priority now so I guess that put me in my place. Oh how I've wished id had a daughter too ??

moggie57 Tue 09-Jul-19 15:37:26

i agree .dont rise or lower yoursdelf to her level.smile sweetly and say REALLY? ....THEN IMAGINE HER NAKED...always works....then keep laughing... she may think you nuts, but that doesnt matter. anyway its up the the child when he or she gets here.maybe the child wont like the other gp gushing over them....what does your son think....or the wife(her mother)......i have given up competeing with other gp's as they have everything ,home by the sea/money/lovely garden/. who cares ? be yourself and go and scream up a hill or over the park. maybe G/P does it because she knows it gets to you. dont leave notes about the dog. thats childish. maybe a thankyou note or a just to say note (in private). not left where the wicked witch of the west can see it.!!. ...grit your teeth and growl later...

Mapleleaf Tue 09-Jul-19 10:28:05

are, not taper! I don't know where taper came from! ?

Mapleleaf Tue 09-Jul-19 10:27:22

pinkjj27, please don't stop posting. The majority of GN's are thoughtful and kind, but I suppose that it is inevitable that out of so many, (and there taper hundreds of members), one or two will come across as harsh, thoughtless and unkind by what they post. You have every right to your opinion and to post it - if you go away, these other posters have won, in a sense. Don't give them that satisfaction.

Mapleleaf Tue 09-Jul-19 10:14:30

I agree with Caro57. I think your best defence is to try to ignore her comments and just get on with enjoying your new GC when s/he arrives, and enjoy being the best GP you can. Don't let her encourage you to turn it into some kind of competition, by rising to her remarks. Smile and nod, then carry on as you would!

Caro57 Sun 07-Jul-19 16:50:40

She sounds very insecure, sad but not your problem. Enjoy your family and GCin spite of her.

willa45 Sun 07-Jul-19 16:28:13

pinkjj27 please don't delete your account just yet.

Most of the good people on this forum sincerely want to help and right or wrong, we all do it in good faith.

For those of you who fall into negativity.....It is both unproductive and presumptuous to tear down another's comment for no other reason than a difference of opinion.

Wouldn't it be wiser to use some constructive ideas instead of insults?

This is not the first time I've seen someone withdraw from a thread, or close their account or even the entire thread being removed by the Admins. due to escalation. There are many good people and good contributions here.....let's not lose them to rudeness.

Ooeyisit Sun 07-Jul-19 14:03:46

Ignore her and just smile sweetly if she says anything to your face. This woman probably gets on her child’s nerves ,never mind yours . Here I am notice ME first .It wont go down well with most people .

granny4hugs Sun 07-Jul-19 08:08:16

a. competition takes 2. b. if situations repeat themselves look for the non-variable...

moonbeames Sun 07-Jul-19 00:29:20

Sounds like a mine field. I wouldn't say anything, could blow up in your face. Just smile. Don't give her the satisfaction of upsetting you, she will just twist everything around to make her look good. Back off!

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Jul-19 23:21:17

Luckylegs Thanks but I am delating my account now it wasn’t a ratty reply it was a painful reply when you have learning difficulties but have managed to become a teacher you spent our life in fear that all the bullying will come back one day and it just did. I have no idea what she meant by be honest and I don’t care.
she might not have realised how her words came across! I think she knew and if you get hit my a car it hurts wheather the driver meant to hit you or not.

Of the last few weeks I have noticed nasty remarks made to others which I have always stood up to and challanged calling for knidness. I feel is become like mums net and i left there. It’s not what I am about I hate it.

sorry if I don’t answer any more now as I won’t ever be back on here again.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Jul-19 23:13:09

Ignore the thanks, it should have been thanks! grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Jul-19 23:11:26

Take no notice, pink. I didn’t even think CarolAnn was referring to you, but who knows? Her post reflected badly on her and no one else. Most Gransnetters are supportive and interested in what others have to say. Don’t be chased away. thanks]

Luckylegs Sat 06-Jul-19 23:07:34

pinkjj27 please don’t take it to heart and leave just because someone posted a ratty reply. If I try really hard I can convince myself she might not have realised how her words came across! Anyway, you had perfectly valid points, I didn’t notice anything wrong so just ignore and rise above. Such a response doesn’t deserve your attention.

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:55:18

SirChenjin Thing is I have had it all my life being called thick. I thought I had gotten t away from all that .

There were mistakes in my post and I often only see them once a post is posted no matter how many times I check it.
Which is why gransnet needs an edit button ..

That was the last time I contribute to any post ever again. I hope people like CaroleAnne will be happy and proud. There’s is no place for people like me with learning difficulties in their world.

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 22:42:12

Ignore her pink - people like her enjoy goading others. It’s very childish behaviour.

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:10:22

I know how to be intelligent ( oh I am so I am so un-intelligent )

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:07:20

CaroleAnne Was you remark aimed at me? As it came right after mine I assume it was

FYI I have Dyslexia I also have a first class double honours degree so I how to be intelligence I also know how to be kind and not put people down do you ? Dont think its me or anyone else that needs to take a good look at themselves.
I left mums-net over stuff like that I think I wont bother on here either.

Overthehills Sat 06-Jul-19 21:32:27

I’d smile sweetly and say, “You’re probably right”, to every belittling remark.

Minshy Sat 06-Jul-19 19:46:28

Fgs! Is that relevant????

Minshy Sat 06-Jul-19 19:42:26

She sounds very ‘needy’ and I’d say insecure!
She’s probably wondering why you don’t rise to her comments.
You sound to me like you are the more dignified adult.
She is probably feeling threatened by you.
I’d laugh quietly to myself, give her a bemused smile.

CanOnlyTry Sat 06-Jul-19 19:42:16

I agree with Coconut it's abundantly clear that this woman is incredibly insecure! Why even the family pet apparently thinks she's 'the greatest'? Try to let it go over your head IF you can, have a rant on here when it all gets too much but above all, don't engage in this childish behaviour, just enjoy your new GC - ???

Flowerofthewest Sat 06-Jul-19 19:40:04

My neighbour same with my cats. It's pathetic.

georgia101 Sat 06-Jul-19 19:38:04

Your grandchild will make it's own mind up who it likes best. My thoughts are that it will probably be the grandparent that makes the least fuss but gives the most love.

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 18:42:25

CarolAnne - if you’re going to attempt to pull others up for their writing style at least correct your own punctuation and grammar first, otherwise you just come across like a right tit.