Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Good days out / short trips in England on public transport

(19 Posts)
Stoker48 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:58:44

Thank you for all your lovely suggestions.
Do appreciate it.
Just returning, as I write, from a day trip to Liverpool. It’s my home city and well worth a visit if you haven’t already been. A great walking city. Loads to do.
Cheers, everyone

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 18:18:50

The Cotswolds are lovely too - Bourton on the Water, Stow on the Wold, Chipping Camden. Bakewell is also pretty.

Tedber Sat 13-Jul-19 17:41:57

Wow you seem to have done a lot already! IF you want to do things in a day, just get a map and go! You will probably be surprised at what you come across. #

Obviously there are A LOT of interesting places all over UK and you say you don't mind staying in a hotel either so.....UK is your OYSTER! Even places you might have never fancied or aren't on the tourist map may surprise you!

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 16:22:03

Yes minimoon. It's been transformed.

trisher Sat 13-Jul-19 16:19:10

Saltaire and Bradford are great. Salt's Mill has Hockneys and Bradford has a museum tracing his life. Lovely walks along the canal, and 2 huge parks with a fascinating historic city centre and great shops. I got a fantastically cheap deal at the Midland Hotel a lovely Victorian building.

J52 Sat 13-Jul-19 15:41:52

Leicester, the Richard 111 experience. The station is right in the city and it’s a short walk to the Cathedral and Richard 111 museum next door. It’s in the old ‘Lanes’ part of the city with lots of individual shops. also near John Lewis, for a different experience!

MiniMoon Sat 13-Jul-19 15:40:57

I was very surprised by Birmingham KatyK. I didn't realise how historic and pretty it is, particularly the canals. I was only there for one night, but would love a return visit.

MrsEggy Sat 13-Jul-19 15:30:18

Kidderminster, easy to get to by rail from Birmingham or Worcester, then ride on the Severn Valley Railway (steam) through beautiful scenery to Bridgnorth - a lovely riverside town.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Jul-19 15:18:31

Windsor and Eton ?

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 14:29:27

I'd say Birmingham because it's my home town and I think it's great. There's a lot here and the canal area around Broad Street is fantastic. I also love Liverpool and I agree that Chester is great.

Grannycool52 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:49:28

I agree about Durham, loads to see there.
I was very pleasantly surprised by Leeds.
& I like Newcastle/ Tynemouth.
Have you been to Agatha Christie's holiday home, Greenway? Very interesting, grounds are lovely and you can get there by vintage bus from Torquay!

MiniMoon Sat 13-Jul-19 13:34:46

Durham is a lovely compact city. The east coast mainline will take you there. The cathedral is beautiful, and there are walks along the river Wear. Crook Hall has gorgeous gardens, and it's almost in the city centre.

Greenfinch Sat 13-Jul-19 13:13:56

Bournemouth to Swanage by open top bus.They run every half an hour so you can stop off at Shell Bay for a brief walk along the coast. The journey from Sandbanks to Shell Bay is via a very short ferry ride but you stay on the bus.This is a very popular route in summertime so you need to get on in Bournemouth rather than any of the stops along the way.

ninathenana Sat 13-Jul-19 12:41:04

Norfolk, Norwich area. You may even squeeze in a trip on the broads.

Nandalot Sat 13-Jul-19 12:30:43

Lincoln. It is a underrated city. Beautiful cathedral and castle. Train station next to bus station or you could walk up steep Hill to see them. (Aptly named). Station right in centre and university has lovely setting around Bradford Pool, commissioned by the Romans, dug by slaves. The ‘pool’ can be reached by quaint alley called the Glory Hole.

Alima Sat 13-Jul-19 12:15:47

Apparently there are coach trips being run to Birmingham now so people can see the largest Primark in Europe. Whatever floats your boat.
Coastal bus routes. Know for a fact you can get from Hastings right round to Portsmouth by bus. Then on from Bournemouth deeper into Dorset. Probably have the connecting services too.

jaylucy Sat 13-Jul-19 12:06:20

Birmingham? More to see than you realise !
I assume you have done Northampton?
York is well worth an overnight stay - or even several nights!

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 12:02:28

Chester ? A lovely city. I'm not too many miles away and the bus service near me is a straight run there so have been quite a few times in the past.
I imagine the train for yourself as it's a direct journey through Northampton/Coventry/Stoke and Chester.

Stoker48 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:55:40

Any good suggestions?
Obviously it depends on where you live ( I’m in Beds) but looking for inspiration.
I’ve visited all the usual suspects- Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton , Bath etc.
Went to Whitstable, Rochester and Ramsgate last week.
Loved Ledbury in Shropshire. The Museum of Lost Content in nearby Craven Arms is fab.
Last year went Matlock for the day and also to Winchester. The Newcastle coast line was a beautiful revelation!
I mostly do these trips on my own and prefer to jet the train take the strain.
Any ideas for more? I’m always happy to book a hotel but find, especially this time of year, I can leave very early and come home late so do most in a day.
Cheers