Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Giving birth in the 60s & 70s, what was it like?

(200 Posts)
Purpletinofpaint Fri 02-Aug-19 11:45:16

I'm curious to learn what it might have been like? All I know from my own dm is that she was shaved & had an enema before delivery & that her legs were up in stirrups & babies were kept in a separate room. What do you remember?

Luckygirl Mon 02-Sep-19 19:37:38

First baby in 1974 - induced because I had food poisoning and was 10 days overdue! No enema necessary!!! Long painful labour - delivered with forceps - massive episiotomy with one stitch in my piles - ouch and double ouch! Locum consultant was from Australia and he had trouble pulling baby out so he had his feet pushing against the end of the bed to provide counter-traction. TBH I assumed the baby was dead and he was just trying to yank it out! Very traumatic and the post-delivery pain was beyond description. Had loads of pethidine and it all went by in a terrible blur.

Second baby was planned fairly speedily as I said that if we didn't get on with it I would chicken out after such a dreadful experience. So 18 months later I was back - shaved, enema etc., but delivered by a lovely Irish consultant, under whom my OH was working as a houseman at the time. He popped in to see how I was getting on, then went to mass to pray for me! He came back and delivered baby with me lying on my side - and he stitched me up that way too.

Third (8/6 years later)- the afterthought - was delivered by two lovely midwives who were friends and we named the baby after one of them. Half a dose of pethidine and a bit of gas and air as with No.2.

OH present at all the births - during the first he complained because I had it on Monty Python night; and after the third a colleague of his consulted him about the stitches and where they should go - hang on a minute, this is my body! - do I want a designer fanny to suit the old man!!!??? grin

EllanVannin Mon 02-Sep-19 18:53:04

Between the labour and birth----3/4 of an hour for both D's.
No time for shaves or sh---enemas. Sister slapped my behind because I kept wanting to push as I walked to the labour ward, and sit on the floor too !

1960 First was 6lb 4ozs and was jaundiced ( nearly orange in colour ) I had to stay in for 10 days as she was under a lamp.
1963 Second D was 7lb 2ozs. No jaundice out in 5 days ( Xmas Eve )

Looking back then things were really primitive to what they are present day and mothers didn't appear as healthy. One poor soul developed appendicitis and another had lost the use of her legs for some reason.

Grandmashe43 Mon 02-Sep-19 17:06:27

I delivered my 2 girls after difficult pregnancies, Ist was a forceps and retained placenta, 2nd c section, placenta Previa
76 and 78, my hospital in Manchester was wonderful, nursed beautifully, and very great full for my lovely girls, I could so easily have lost both, husband allowed at forceps delivery, but had to have general for c section so he had to wait outside.
So sorry for all of you who had such bad experiences, although mine were difficult the care we received was amazing.
My 3 grandchildren were born at the same hospital, all with good experiences.thank god for the NHS.

Kupari45 Mon 02-Sep-19 16:28:37

Just reading all your stories- makes me wonder how most of us plucked up the courage to have another baby.!
In my case eldest daughter born in R.A.F. Hospital at Changi, Singapore in 1970.
The usual procedure shave/enema/ feet in stirrups. To add insult to the whole procedure I was told to get a move on as they wanted me "tidied up" before Wing Commanders rounds!!!. Didnt get to see my baby for 12 hours as it wasnt the right time!
Fortunately when second daughter was born in 1973 in civilian hospital the whole procedure was much more relaxed.

annep1 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:51:32

Sorry I've just seen this thread I had 3 children 1971-75.
First one was horrendous - the pain but I think that's because I was exhausted from travelling all day in labour. I actually grabbed one of the two doctors by the tie and told him to f*****g do something. As soon as he saw the baby's head he gave me an injection and I went unconscious thankfully.

No shaving. Enema once, but I remember neding to go during delivery. I think an enema would have been preferable.
Had gas and air. I hated the whole experience though. If men had to do it the world would be sparsely populated.

On my own for most of labour.
I would have liked my husband there but not for the birth.
Third birth in 1975 nurses kept asking could he come in. I said no. He was allowed in straight after. Things had obviously changed 1975.

Seven days rest with the first. Joy! Five dats with second and third. Baby taken away each night.
Much better than my poor daughter 8 years ago fainting in hospital from being left to cope and chucked out next day.

We were looked after so well and I can't complain. If you chose not to breastfeed it was fine.

Grammaretto Wed 07-Aug-19 23:23:58

These stories have made me very sad. My own experiences were similar. I always assumed I'd been rare! First 1970, my waters broke 10 days early and I thought I'd wet the bed. DH went to a phone box to call the nursing home. He was to bring me in and leave me. No men allowed. Enema and shave . Then I was put into a room with one other woman whose baby had died. She was so sweet and kind.
In the morning the new staff gave me another enema! There were no labour pains but by the following afternoon I was told the baby was distressed and passing meconium and I would be moved in an ambulance to the hospital, probably to have a c section. I was very scared. I was 20.
Hours later the pain began. DH wasn't sent away. I was given pethedine and eventually a doctor gave me an excruciating internal examination which got things moving! Serious labour followed and he was eventually born the following morning. I wasn't even allowed a cup of tea! Just get some sleep I was told and baby was beside me. It was amazing. I couldnt sleep. I was euphoric. I couldn't believe that tiny human was my child.
After 2 days I was taken back to the nursing home and told to stay in bed and baby taken off to the nursery where I hardly saw him for a week. Only 2 of us were breast feeding in the packed ward and had to draw the curtains for decency. I was once brought a baby girl at feeding time.

He was so good. He never cried. When I said to the nurses how good he was they grinned at eachother. Huh! He had been bottle fed in the nursery. It took a while to establish feeding when we were home and he soon learned how to scream.
The next 3 births were quicker. I had one at home and that was very much the easiest.

madmum38 Wed 07-Aug-19 16:39:20

My DM had me in 1965 and said that she was churched after so many days, had no idea what she meant and stupidly didn’t ask

DameJudyClench Mon 05-Aug-19 13:41:00

Just missed the 70s and had my first daughter in 1981. No shave, no enema. horrendous epidural and was treated like a 3rd class citizen. I was only 17 so there was lots of tutting and judgement. Took me 11 years to pluck up the courage to get pregnant again.

Had another in 1993 and my last in 2000. All 3 births were very different. I certainly like to span the decades grin

lovebooks Mon 05-Aug-19 10:07:51

My son was a home delivery, in Cheltenham, with a lovely (and probably virgin!) midwife, a sympathetic GP, and my husband watching the whole performance - he was the first to hold the baby. Magical! Scary, painful, yes, but it was Spring, and we followed up the drama with Easter cake and wine.

My daughter's birth, unfortunately in lowland Scotland, was very different - husband banned from the labour room, and when he and our (by then) two year old son came to collect me, they would not allow either of them behind the screen around my bed - well they were males, weren't they? Oh, and babies were kept apart from their mums, and in a nursery, so I was lying there thinking: what's wrong with my baby because they weren't bringing her to me.

moggie57 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:06:19

well mine was 1980's still primitive. went in at 8.30am .quick examination, oh you wont be having IT for ages...left me alone all night. even though i rung bell several times.me(unmarried mother). look of disgust... from nurse. she says get a good night sleep IT will arrive . mum said she had to go at 11 pm.. so was left alone till 6am ,early hours of morning i get up on all 4 and starts pushing...was comfortable like this ,at 5.45 am midwife takes one look at me .yells no no no .you cant be like that ...turn over .my baby girl arrived 6am and blue in colour ,she was 6 weeks early.. but she did survive.. but was in nursery the whole 4 days ,not allowed to hold or touch her..day 5 i wanted her so i went to get her. after a long arguement i was allowed half an hour..by then my baby didnt want to be breast fed ,so it was bottle from.. then on...to make matters worse my partner said he got lost on the way to maternity ward ,even though i could see him and waved .finally he turns up after 7 days.(as you assume this relationship didnt work out and i kicked him out after verbal abuse and being mean to THE baby.even before i had my baby there was no baby scans .the dr knew i was pregnant .another look of disgust. no midwife. i did finally have a scan when i was 6 months pregnant.2 weeks later baby arrived..luckily at 4 and half pounds .no stitches or anything...

glammagran Sun 04-Aug-19 20:59:50

3 children born in 1974, 1977 and 1993. First experience was terrible. I was an unmarried mother (though with a partner) but still (just) in my teens. I had an epidural (teaching hospital) but laid on a kinked tube so it didn’t work for hours. Then they realised what had happened, topped up and left me to sleep for hours without any checks. Eventually roughly woken by male doctor (this was fine, btw!) who had huge argument with midwifery staff as to why he hadn’t been sent for sooner. Had immediate forceps delivery for face presentation. Saw DD1 was navy blue and she was immediately taken away. Didn’t see her for 10 hours but she was fine. Next day I was given senakot 1 day after an enema and had an accident in middle of the ward. Was furious but said nothing. At 8 days in hospital mums were summoned round on chairs to learn how to bath babies. I could barely sit down with sooooo many stitches, let alone bath a baby from a chair. Nurse running session told all the other mothers I was a young single mother who could not bond with her baby. Must be one of the most upsetting things I’ve ever heard in my life.

DS arrived in extreme haste after a 90 minute labour. No problems here. No pain relief. Horrid midwife though. Home in 48 hours.

For whatever reason, I assumed DD2 after nearly 20 years would be the same. Lovely midwife on this occasion. Had quick 1.5 hour first stage labour again BUT 2 hour second stage. No pain relief (my choice), yup, another face presentation borderline forceps again but some last minute will made me have her naturally. Was the worst birth though. Home within 24 hours.

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 19:03:16

Another thing I've just remembered - in 1962 in Hope Hospital Salford I was offered a course of self-hypnotherapy as a part of our pre-delivery preparation.
I considered it but didn't take it up.
All in all my experiences were ok - someone told me that after the joy of the birth you forget all the pain. Just as well or the human race would die out,

narrowboatnan Sun 04-Aug-19 17:20:55

I missed out on the 60s and 70s births as my first born, my DS, was born in 1980 but not much had changed I don't think, from what I've read here. The shave, the enema - a whole jug full sent into my rectum via a tube and a funnel - the dash to the loo and then a very long labour. I had gone into labour during the morning while I was seeing to my horses, but I managed to turn them out into the field, muck out two stables, fill and hang two huge hay nets, cart six buckets of water to fill up their stable water containers before calling my 1st H (defo not a DH) who said to call his mum as he didn't want to come home from work. I did and his lovely mum, a very new and nervous driver, drove me very carefully in her Ford Popular (remember the old side valve engines?) to the hospital and left me there. This was at two o'clock in the afternoon and my waters had broken the night before (I just thought I'd wet myself). The midwife set me up on a drip because I was dehydrating, gave me a shot of pethadine and left me to it. The 1st H came home from work at his usual time, had his dinner, watched TV and, when News at Ten had finished, instead of going to bed as he normally would, he very kindly came to see me. I had two midwifes with me when he got there and he found he had been at school with one of them so they took the opportunity for a nice catch up. My lovely DS arrived after much pushing and shoving - my legs in stirrups - at 11.45 p.m. The 1st H left me shortly after that and re-appeared after work the next day. I stayed in 5 days, those were the rules still at that time and my lovely MiL came to visit every afternoon.

Oldandverygrey Sun 04-Aug-19 14:51:59

Eldest child born in the 60's, youngest in the early 70's, on both occasions the experiences were horrendous. Enough said.

Framilode Sun 04-Aug-19 11:41:35

When my first daughter was born in 1965 I was 19 and a single mother. I had a retroverted uterus and felt all my contractions in my back. Every time I asked for pain relief I was told I wasn't in proper labour. I was left totally alone until I could feel the baby's head between my legs and then rushed to delivery.

Whilst the midwives were arguing about whether I should deliver on my side or my back my daughter was born. I can still hear the sound of ripping material that my tearing made.

By this time it was 6 in the morning and, presumably, a shift change. I was left in the delivery room without even a drink. I think I was forgotten and only noticed when the tea lady came in at ll o clock. They then decided to stitch me up which they did without anaesthetic.

Back on the ward one nurse said to me I wasn't a proper mother and wouldn't have normal feelings for my baby as I wasn't married.

The next day my Mum travelled 200 miles to come and see me and they wouldn't allow her in as it was husbands only.

My second baby was born at home and though it was a difficult and traumatic birth, again without pain relief, it was so much better than the first time.

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 10:01:26

I've just remembered the stuff we were given in the '60s to inhale during labour - it was 'gas and air'.
www.bounty.com/pregnancy-and-birth/birth/in-labour/entonox-gas-and-air
ie laughing gas! Looks as if it has come into fashion again.

AlgeswifeVal Sun 04-Aug-19 09:30:48

Yes, what your mum says is true. And my husband wasn’t allowed in delivery room. Bad memories, three times.

Shropshirelass Sun 04-Aug-19 08:34:06

I had a terrible time with my first and haemorrhaged three times, blue lighted to hospital from the maternity home with my GP following! Daughter was born using forceps (about to have a cesarian) and I was so ill I did not see her for 24 hours and ended up in hospital for almost three weeks. Not so bad with my second though. My nephews partner had her first four years ago and had a dreadful time, left in labour for three or four days. Not sure things have improved!

olliebeak Sun 04-Aug-19 08:16:15

Eldest was born in 1973 and I had high Blood Pressure for most of the pregnancy. Treatment included Valium and Phenylbarbitone (Oh YES!) which I took for approx 3mths before being admitted 6wks prior to 'due date'.

Meds continued during my stay in hospital - allowed home for 'weekend leave'.

At 8mths pregnant, they disputed my dates and I was sent for an X-Ray to determine exact 'due date' - I WAS right.

Induced labour two and a half weeks early - shave/enema/bath on the night before .............. with the hilarious waddle/run for the loo, while other patients pretended to be occupying the loos - great camaraderie amongst patients on the ward!

Feet in stirrups for waters to be broken, but that was all.
Didn't realise when my labour had started - thought I 'needed another poo', so another patient rang for nurse on my behalf. Quick delivery (two and half hours from start to finish) - pethidine hadn't actually kicked in, but Gas/Air worked a 'real treat' ;-).

Home after 5days - but unfortunately with a baby who didn't sleep ........................... is it any wonder? Poor child must have had withdrawal from months of Valium and Phenylbarbitone.

maddy629 Sun 04-Aug-19 08:06:20

Purpletinofpaint I gave birth to my daughter in 1968 and it was very much as your mother describes, I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. By the 70's when I had my sons it had moved on a bit, no shave or enema. Second 70's birth was twins and I was only in hospital 10 minutes before they both appeared. We had no phone and no car, it all kicked off after midnight. My husband kept walking to the phone box to phone but it was 5 a.m before the ambulance arrived. Husbands were definitely not allowed in the delivery room. Unknown to me it was the policy at my maternity hospital to ring a bell when twins were about to be delivered so that off duty staff could watch, it did not go down too well when I said I would not have given permission.

Peonyrose Sun 04-Aug-19 05:21:16

Most have explained how it was in the sixties, you were on your own, but as it was considered normal it didn't matter. I think the staying in hosputal beneficial, I was in seven nights and was dying to get home, but when I did I was glad that I had been made to stay in. Three years later a home birth, up next day washing the sheets etc. lost so much weight over the next six months and was so tired.mHusband had to work as he would have lost his wages and money was tight. I think the way it is now out of hospital same day, going back to work very soon is far more difficult than I had it though. I met a lady in the chemist carrying her baby waiting for a prescription and when I looked to see the warmly wrapped baby was told she was two days old. I could have cried for her and wanted to look after her for a few days, but of course you can't offer that.

Granless Sat 03-Aug-19 22:38:28

pinkprincess I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one then with two ‘bums’.

Pome Sat 03-Aug-19 22:21:26

Had my 3 children in 76, 78 & 81.
My eldest started to arrive 36 hours before he actually arrived. Hospital left me in a side ward on my own ( sent my husband home) having shaved me, given me the enema, & attached a defective baby monitor to the bump. No one came near me except to tell me not to moan so much. By the time my waters broke & I saw they were green (baby had passed his 1st motion before birth) I was hysterical. I was given a tranquilizer to calm me. Unfortunately, this knocked me out so I have very few memories of his actual birth. We stayed in hospital for 10 days being taught how to wash & change the babies. Strangely tho, no one bothered to teach us how to breast feed which could be the reason my nipples tore & I developed mastisis.
With my eldest daughter in 78, my waters broke 4 weeks early, on the bus on my way to the anti natal check with the doctor. He promptly examined me , said the baby was on the way & sent me home...on the bus!
Later that night I was rushed in to the local maternity unit. No time for a shave or enema, but that could be cos I was recovering from chicken pox. None of the medical staff wanted to deal with me, so after putting my legs in the stirrups (which always seemed to face the door!), I was cut to "allow the baby an easier birth"(episiotomy). She arrived but was taken straightway to the prem unit & I was left for 30 mins, legs in stirrups, to be stitch up but no one wanted the job cos of the CP. Finally, I was shunted into a side ward & left alone, without drugs to relieve the pain of the many stitches, & discharged the next morning. As a result, I haemorrhaged & was returned to the self same hospital for restitching & 2 weeks bed rest.
However, by 1981, NHS seemed to have got their act together. I had a designated midwife (a fantastic Jamaican lady) who saw me every ante natal appointment & actually delivered my youngest in 20 mins. No fuss, no drama, no shaving or enemas - just a wonderfully supportive person who I knew & trusted to help me.

Smurf52 Sat 03-Aug-19 22:07:46

I too had the same experience as your mum when having twins in 1979. I was taken in for bed rest 10 days before induction and then it was the norm to be in hospital after the birth for 10 days.

How different when I gave birth 11 years later in 1990. No enemas, shaving or stirrups and they couldn’t wait to get rid of me two days after the birth!

Anniebach Sat 03-Aug-19 22:00:03

Our elder daughters birth was special. My husband was on night duty miles away, Welsh Nationalists trying to blow up dams . Baby due 1st March, 1969 G.P was concerned I was alone in a police flat so I had to go into the cottage hospital every night for a week, husband collect me every morning. 4th February settled into a private ward, nurse popped in to see if I need anything, I said the bed was so very hard hurting my back ! In minutes maternity sister said ‘your in labour’, I said ‘no, not until March’, 40 minutes later she was born, gas and air machine not working. No one knew she was born. Sister phoned HQ, they announced it on the police car radios right through the force. The Sister said I could stay in the Labour room with my baby until my husband got back . It took him nearly an hour , I had that time to hold her, talk to her, it was wonderful. We stayed in the hospital for 10 days with her crib next to me until lights out.

Our younger daughter another quick birth, again in night, different hospital, husband didn’t know she had arrived until the next morning. She was whisked of to the nursery shortly after the birth, we stayed in 36 hours. 1970.