Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should Alfie's school make him have short hair?

(44 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 04-Aug-19 13:53:34

“I don’t see how having short hair would affect anything,” says Alfie. “It’s not like having short hair is going to give my brain space to grow! If rules were rules, then women wouldn’t be able to vote and our world would be male-orientated still. We’d still be in an age where men worked and women stayed at home.”

https://live.firstnews.co.uk/polls/alfie-allowed-keep-long-hair/

FarNorth Sun 04-Aug-19 13:54:03

live.firstnews.co.uk/polls/alfie-allowed-keep-long-hair/

Luckygirl Sun 04-Aug-19 13:56:03

Well of course he should. Unless the rule also applies to girls.

midgey Sun 04-Aug-19 14:00:22

Tied back? No problem!

MrsEggy Sun 04-Aug-19 14:02:34

Under a turban/topknot?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 04-Aug-19 14:07:34

Does anyone else remember the horrible rubber caps girls had to wear for swimming? Particularly the ones with a strap under your chin. And then came the Beatles and the boys started growing their hair, and all of a sudden, girls were no longer being blamed for clogging up swimming pool filters with their disgusting hair, and no more swimming caps unless you chose to wear them to keep your hair dry(er) or to streamline your head!

Good luck to Alfie! Freedom for one can mean freedom for all!

Minniemoo Sun 04-Aug-19 14:10:49

I don't know. Difficult. I think that legally he should be allowed to keep the long hair. After all, girls can have long hair. Does the school have the right to have its own rules? I don't know.

I have no problem with boys having long hair, in fact I was devastated when my daughter got her son's lovely long hair cut. 'Big boy's hair' apparently.

I'd just leave it. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to get it chopped himself, sooner or later. It's obviously, (to me) that his parents who want him to have this hair.

Nannarose Sun 04-Aug-19 14:31:37

This strikes me as the kind of rule that certain schools like to have because they think it makes them look good.
I was mostly happy with our kids' secondary school, but I did think they had some unnecessary rules - including 'short hair for boys'.
I told my kids that nothing's perfect, I didn't like the rule, but as we all liked the school otherwise, we just put up with it - teachers have better things to do than enforce petty rules.
A difficult situation then arose - one of the children's friends grew his hair very long and plaited it into dreadlocks - completely against the rules. The school chose not to enforce its rule, maybe because he was heading for Oxbridge. I told the kids that I would back any complaint or protest they chose to make - they didn't want to because he was their friend, and asked me not to contact the governors! We noticed the rule slipping after that - but still in the 'official' policy.
We were still broadly happy with the school, especially the teachers, but it still leaves a bad taste.

Nannarose Sun 04-Aug-19 14:34:09

PS: when was this time that women stayed at home'? Only if they were middle class, or they did their work from the family home. All the women in my family (and my knowledge goes back to the mid-19C ) worked except when they had very young babies.

RosieLeah Sun 04-Aug-19 14:34:10

What sort of message is this giving out. Society has rules...we all have to learn to abide by certain rules whether we like it or not.
Each school is allowed to have certain rules and when you enrol your child into a school, you are stating that you agree to abide by those rules. If you don't want to conform, switch schools.

EllanVannin Sun 04-Aug-19 14:36:40

Leave it as it is. He'll decide himself later.

I remember my mother being heartbroken when my brother had all his curls cut off---she cried in the barbers. She used to put clips in his hair to stop it from going in his eyes. Granted, he was younger than 11 probably just starting infant/primary school.
My own hair was natural too but she didn't hesitate in getting it cut when I wanted it long------so it's long now, instead.

quizqueen Sun 04-Aug-19 14:39:50

I've always liked long hair on men and boys ( and women) but asking EVERYONE to tie their hair back for school and work ( if appropriate) is not a bad thing. Surely, some Sikh boys have long hair worn in a top knot and they would be allowed it at school.

Also, there is the problem which arises when boys have their haircut too short and schools don't like it, but if a child had lost his hair through treatment for cancer they would not be able to refuse that child. I am all for re-enforcing good discipline at school but I think some of the haircut rules are over the top. I would draw the line for coloured hair at school though as there has to be a cut off line somewhere.

FarNorth Sun 04-Aug-19 14:46:06

Leave it as it is. He'll decide himself later.

He's already decided for himself what he wants now.

My son has had long hair & short hair at various different times, as has my daughter.
Why would it concern anyone else?
Alfie should have the hair he likes.

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 14:46:41

I think it's time his parents got him a good modern haircut. Can't imagine what 27", never been cut, hair looks like. Why?!

TerriBull Sun 04-Aug-19 14:46:58

I don't have a problem with long hair on boys, in fact I prefer it to those shaved up the back haircuts. My gd has long hair, but her school, as indeed I imagine most, specify that long hair is tied back and off the face, so imagine that would apply to Alfie too.

Septimia Sun 04-Aug-19 14:48:17

The two schools my GD has been to both insist on long hair being tied back - partly to make it more difficult for nits to spread and partly, I think, so that it doesn't get in the way when the children are working.

Alfie's school would not be unreasonable to ask that everyone with long hair has it tied back in school.

Cherrytree59 Sun 04-Aug-19 14:50:04

Leave it Up to Archie's parents.

School are there to educate children.

Hair is the one thing that children can have some personal control over.
Long, short,
pony tail etc.

My grandson had crazy hair day at school and nursery just before they broke up for summer hols.
One had green hair the other orange (wash out stuff)

However if school rules state hair must be tied back then boys and girls should follow the same rules.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Aug-19 15:22:43

As long as it is kept neatly and safely for school, I can't see the problem, apart from with the education system, which seems to focus on the unimportant, whilst lots leave school virtually unable to read and write.

Sara65 Sun 04-Aug-19 15:44:15

I love long hair on men and little boys, my husband had long blonde hair when I met him, it’s shorter now, but not really short.

My son also had lovely blonde hair, which was never cut short till his prep school headmaster put his foot down, and my five year old grandson has lovely long hair

I agree that in school it should be tied back if it’s really long, but if girls are allowed long hair, then why not boys?

SirChenjin Sun 04-Aug-19 16:44:03

I’m with his parents on this one. If girls as allowed to have long hair then the boys should be allowed to. It was through challenging this sort of sexist nonsense that girls were allowed to wear trousers and do woodwork. Go Alfie!

SirChenjin Sun 04-Aug-19 16:44:18

Too

BlueBelle Sun 04-Aug-19 16:56:08

Yes let him keep it you can’t have one rule for boys and one for girls as long as it tidy and nit flopping around a school should not be making double standards
Love long hair on men /boys up or down Both my Grandsons (although they have barely any contact as cousins too many miles of sea between them) but both got their longish hair cut into a modern fashionable style at 16
They will know when it’s the right time

FarNorth Sun 04-Aug-19 17:12:05

Here's a pic of Alfie.

Sara65 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:20:53

I’m sure a lot of girls in his class have equally long hair

Can’t see a problem

Barmeyoldbat Sun 04-Aug-19 17:24:15

Cant see the problem as long its kept tidy.