Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shared email address.

(53 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:16:26

Really irritates me when the address is something like Bob and Mary.co.Are you joined at the hip. Can I not message you without hubby reading it?Also annoying ,I have a friend who can't agree to meet for coffee until she checks what he is doing. She is only able to come out for a walk when football is on tv!

Witzend Sun 11-Aug-19 16:38:47

Some years ago now, but when I was still doing OU courses I was truly shocked at one woman saying how very brave she felt she'd been to go to an OU residential summer school for a week. In 25 years of marriage she had never before spent a single night away from her dh!
I did have a job to get my head around that.

I know one couple with a joint email address, which I do find odd, but maybe they've got their own, too.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 21:16:26

We have a domain name. This means we can change our email and internet providers as frequently as we wish without having to inform everyone. They new provider is just registered with the domain company and our domain email address remains unchanged.

Miep1 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:08:34

My carer (and best friend I have ever had) and I have separate emails - in fact I have 3 - but could, if we wished, read each others'. Obviously we don't wish, but one day it might become necessary

elbev60 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:04:03

Teacher Anne. I also would be very concerned about controlling issues there! It’s the WI not something underhand. He might think she isn’t spending enough time on him!

CanadianGran Fri 09-Aug-19 20:28:28

We maintain an older joint email account, with the server held at a small local telephone company (one of the only independents left in Canada). But I find it hard to access when we are away from our home computer.

When we got new mobile phones we both now have our own emails, and I find I use it more and more, to the point where I would like to get rid of the old . The problem is with some of our on line log-ins, especially government sites use the old email and it's a pain to update.

notanan2 Fri 09-Aug-19 20:02:21

Yes I agree. I only "have to check with DH" if I cant think of a polite way to decline on the spot or if I'm undecided.

Saggi Fri 09-Aug-19 19:39:56

....oh...and re: e-mails addresses. My husband has just mastered the telephone..well almost! He doesn’t ‘do’ a mobile and an e-mail/computer/ laptop is a foreign language!

Saggi Fri 09-Aug-19 19:36:05

I never ask my husbands permission to do anything...I tell him I’m meeting a friend for lunch/jaunt out/ trip to London for the day...he just says ok....I’ll see you when I see you. He never wants to go anywhere, and has sat in a chair for 20 years watching tv. What should I do....? Watch him watching tv. I don’t think so.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 19:10:10

Bradfordlass, I do not think it makes the slightest bit of difference to your security whether you have a man or woman's name in your email address. many people have one's that give to indication who or what the owner of that email is. [email protected] or similar for example (not a real email address).

DH and I have always had our own email addresses. Even though mine has my name in it and it is clearly a woman's name, in over 20 years I have never received an inapproriate or offensive email sent to me bcause my email address identifies me as female.

Pantglas1 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:01:51

Ha ha GracesGranMK3 - I thought it and you’ve written it.....

Riggie Fri 09-Aug-19 19:00:59

I wouldn't check with DH for a daytime invitation as hes at work. But we are carers for our adult son who cant be left alone so we always discuss invitations to make sure someone is here.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:57:07

She is not making sure it's okay with him kircubbin2000 she is trying to find an excuse for not having coffee with you. smile

Jennyluck Fri 09-Aug-19 18:27:35

I never understand why one of my friends has to see what her husbands doing before she can make arrangements to meet up for a meal.her children are grown up now, so don’t need looking after.
I think it’s sometimes an excuse not to come out.
And yes, they share an email address, with only his name on it .

notanan2 Fri 09-Aug-19 17:04:11

When emails startec you didnt have gmail etc. Your email was supplied by your internet provider and was linked to that modem/account and you had one per household. I remember emailing on the family account. Prior to that we had fax, again one family account.

Its just not a "private" thing for everyone nor does it = being joint at the hip! Its just email!

seacliff Fri 09-Aug-19 16:28:58

Horses for courses.

(sigh, dreams of an edit button, yes I know, NO CHANCE!!!)

seacliff Fri 09-Aug-19 16:27:41

I wouldn't like it at all. Also have my own bank account, and we have a joint one.

I know one person who has a husband and wife email, I always feel it's a bit old fashioned. They are not very computer literate, it is fine for them. Horse for courses.

Shropshirelass Fri 09-Aug-19 15:54:03

I think my husband would like to be joined at the hip but I don't want to! I recently said that I might join the local photography group, something for ME to do, he said he would like to come too. No, he can find his own interests. I sometimes do things like quilting and needle felting, he won't like that!! I am my own person who likes to do some things on my own.

Calendargirl Fri 09-Aug-19 15:21:24

This thread really surprised me. DH and I have a shared e Mail with both our names on. It has never occurred to me that others perceive this as odd. He’s not very interested in our e mails, but is welcome to read any of them. We have another I pad which we call his with an e Mail in his name but we both use it all the time. I look at his phone, no problem. I only have an oldish mobile, so we share his more up to date one. Our bank accounts are joint. Never check with each other about spending, it’s all shared.

Pantglas1 Fri 09-Aug-19 14:48:43

DH and I share an email address and it’s never been an issue between us, although now I can see from this thread it is for other people!

I’ve found that if anyone wants to contact him or me, they ring or text the relevant phone and if they’re not bothered who they contact, they email - not very difficult is it? We both arrange our separate social stuff with consideration not permission as do most happily married couples, I’ve found.

grannyticktock Fri 09-Aug-19 14:47:18

I agree, gabriella, I can't see that having a male name on your email adds any sort of security, all it does is confuse your friends about who they're communicating with.

If you have multiple email addresses, you can always set up neutral ones that describe the type of emails you use them for, e.g. something including a word like "bank" or "shopping" or "u3a". It doesn't have to be a personal name. Then you can sort those into separate folders if you want. (I really will sort mine some day soon!)

GabriellaG54 Fri 09-Aug-19 14:31:29

I'm old and live alone but certainly wouldn't class myself as vulnerable.
I'm as able (and in many case more so) as any man to deter unwanted phone calls and visitors, so no need to think that by having a male 'ansafone' message would deter burglars as they're aware of most tricks householders employ such as faux cctv cameras, recordings of dogs barking and smart lights.
They might give you a false sense of security.

PennyWhistle Fri 09-Aug-19 14:23:31

Mr. W would have no clue on how to access an email account, let alone set up one. So I manage my various addresses according to their intended use, and let him know if anything may interest him. We have no need of a mrandmrs email account. My dd's would know how to access my accounts in an emergency, otherwise they dont bother.

Also we let each other know if we intend going out, as a matter of courtesy.

I guess whatever works for each couple is what counts.

GrammaH Fri 09-Aug-19 13:43:03

Some people are easily irritated! I'm sure your friend has text & WhatsApp which are personal to her, Kirkcubbin or you could just pick up the phone & chat privately? Bit old fashioned maybe? We have an email address which is common to DH & me. However, he has zero idea of how to access the account and zero interest so really, it's mine & any business-type emails which come in have to be relayed to him. It works for us & if anybody is worried about privately contacting me, I do have text, WhatsApp and a telephone all of my own!

Willow500 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:40:34

I've had my e-mail name since day one when personal e-mail was invented - whatever provider I've been with and so has my husband. I can't imagine us having a joint one. We've had other work related ones and I have a couple of others from necessity. I have access to his as I often have to reset things for him but have no interest in reading his mail - like mine it's mostly rubbish anyway! I do remember Compuserve too - I think it was what my son set up originally when he installed the internet at work for us. As for me not being able to go out without his say so or having to be back to eat with him that's never going to happen. He would also be the first to offer to take me and come back for me then cook his own tea if I asked.

Glammy57 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:32:29

Paperbackwriter, exactly my thoughts! ?

My husband and I each have our own email account. I do not know his password and he doesn’t know mine.

I have several friends who share an email address with their significant other, which I find odd.

We have a family WhatsApp and my daughter and I have individual ones, too. Sometimes, we want to discuss present buying for Mr. G or talk about things which only she and I find funny!