Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this what I should expect at 73?

(101 Posts)
teabagwoman Thu 08-Aug-19 15:56:33

I’m finding that anything I want to do has to be done in the morning. I usually have a coffee break about 10.30 but by 11.30 I feel ready for bed! I make a quick lunch and sit down for most of the afternoon knitting etc. Stagger back on my feet about 4 and try to get a bit or ironing, gardening etc done for an hour before cooking my evening meal. Last night I fell asleep in front of the television at 8. I go to bed around 9, sleep pretty well, only getting up once for the loo, and wake up around 7. Is this what I should expect at 73?

lemongrove Fri 09-Aug-19 11:57:41

Sounds like a nice life to me.?
Sometimes though, the less you do the less you want to do,
So perhaps get a walk in during the day or get the bus and then walk round the shops.
If you can drive, go out and visit places with a friend.

Speldnan Fri 09-Aug-19 12:19:54

I’m 69 and I do get very sleepy by the afternoon but then I don’t sleep well at night. However I’ve just taken up running using couch to 5k, I can run for 25 minutes now. This makes me feel physically tired but it is also exhilarating and energising. I’ve always walked a lot but was getting bored with it hence the running. I do wonder why I get so sleepy but then if I have something interesting to do I feel fine so I think a lot of it is down to lethargy. Worth a health check though as others have said.

mrneduc Fri 09-Aug-19 12:46:46

Get your thyroid levels tested. Mine is under active and despite medications and so called ‘normal blood levels I’m always desperately tired.

Liz46 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:12:12

I have discovered that, at the age of 73, I am allergic to mischievous 4 year old boys! We've just had three days with him and are both exhausted.

kwest Fri 09-Aug-19 13:27:29

If I am at home and have a carbohydrate lunch, I tend to sit down afterwards and will fall asleep. If I am out and about I am busy so don't fall asleep but am often tired when I get home and making dinner seems like a lot of effort. I often fall asleep in front of the TV in the evenings. I do quite a lot of exercise classes in the mornings, I meet friends for lunch most weeks at least once a week. I love gardening and don't seem to be at home as much as I would like to do it. I am also going to join Silver Swans ballet classes for over 55s in September. Oddly doing exercise does seem to give me more energy. I also still see a few clients and supervisees and do three sessions of pro bono counselling every Thursday afternoon. It is when I stop that I get tired but I love my life and I assumed it was normal to get tired at 71. We get up at
6.a.m. and I tend to go to bed after 11.30p.m.

birchermuesli Fri 09-Aug-19 13:28:10

About the housework, I like The Organised Mum method - a dead easy checklist that means never more than 30 mins a day.

sodapop Fri 09-Aug-19 13:30:25

I am the same age and would be worried if I was so tired all the time. I have struggled with the heat this summer though, its been an effort to keep going some days. It's worth having a check up teabagwoman

Nonna1day Fri 09-Aug-19 13:33:15

Sometimes if one lives alone it’s another story altogether. You have to get out to the store or make a coffee date daily. People contact is a great stimulant. Go volunteer a day or two weekly...that would do a great deal for your stamina. Do you take Vitamin B? Get a blood check and see if you are vitamin deficient or have another problem....that for sure is the best thing to do first!

Kim19 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:48:18

I'm well past 73 and certainly have never experienced the fatigue you seem to be having. I ease myself into the day and gentle myself out of it but in the middle I'm pretty active with garden (minimal domestic chores!!!) and usually include a brisk, but mostly flat, riverside walk which lasts an hour. Yours doesn't fit my 'normal' but we're all different and maybe you should heed those suggesting a medical opinion?

inishowen Fri 09-Aug-19 13:58:00

My young hairdresser said today that she was exhausted by 11.30 am and didn't know how she'd get through the day. I'm 67 and don't sleep well at night. I wake about 4 times a night, go to the loo, and often start reading. I try not to nap during the day as that makes my sleep pattern even worse.

Bijou Fri 09-Aug-19 14:28:40

Maybe you are bored. 73 seems young to me to be sitting around knitting and falling asleep. If you are physically fit get out and about. When I was 82 was travelling abroad. Only gave up because my arthritis in legs made walking difficult. My sister was 80 when she started working in a charity shop.

luluaugust Fri 09-Aug-19 16:11:28

I envy you your ability to sleep from 9 to 7, if only. I don't think one size fits all, I'm also more up for doing things in the morning and tend to meet up with friends or go to groups then. I thought our body clocks meant we should sleep in the early afternoon and wake at some point in the night for a while. A check up might be a good thing, apart from thyroid problems I think there has been a thread running on lack of Vitamin D and something like that my be the answer. Hope you can get a Dr's appointment sometime soon.

4allweknow Fri 09-Aug-19 16:19:39

If this is a change to what you were like say two or 3 years ago then No, no, no. You need to see GP for a check up. Could be anaemia or Vit D deficiency. Get yourself checked, especially before winter arrives.

Nanny41 Fri 09-Aug-19 16:25:32

I am 75+ I do lie in until about 9am but dont go to be before midnight and usually dont get to sleep for an hour after that, I am quite bgirht duting the day seldom feel tired except if I am bored.
As others have said teabagwoman, a visit to the Doctor might improve things. Good luck.

teabagwoman Fri 09-Aug-19 17:45:57

Thank you everyone. I have a GP appointment in a couple of weeks time, I'm joining a local keep fit group and generally trying to up my exercise, and I'm following the Organised Mum housework routine. Thank you for that birchermuesli, I like her system and I think it will make it easier for me to feel less guilty about not having everything pristine (my upbringing has come back to haunt me in my old age}. Upwards and onwards.......

123kitty Fri 09-Aug-19 19:04:08

Good response lemongrove

Saggi Fri 09-Aug-19 20:00:05

I’m 70 teabagwoman...I sleep 4/5 hours fitfully at night ...I rise at 5.30.... make tea...go back to bed...drink tea and read until 7. I get up at 7 and go swimming ...50 lengths...I come home and do couple hours housework. Usually husband has crawled downstairs by then ( not dressed of course)... I then make lunch for me and him...he falls asleep in front of tele like you.... I get on my bike and cycle 5 miles to pick up my granddaughter from school wait for eldest to get home then cook them there dinners. Wait till daughter appears about 5.30...spend a little time with her ...cycle home. Get in about 6.15 and start our dinner ...husband sleeping in front of tele..eat...wash up... go upstairs to my room to watch my tv ...as football season has restarted and from 7.30 it’s football football football, most nights of week!! I’ve done this, or a version of it for 12 years( replace schools with nursery’s)...while my 3 year older than me has don sod all but watch tv. NO...teabagwoman . Not all 70+ people are the same as you . Some are active and some aren’t! Horses for courses...but I cannot even begin the mindset of people like my indolent husband....I just don’t get it!

Gonegirl Fri 09-Aug-19 20:15:11

I absolutely hate that "rage against the dying of the light" poem. What could he know about it - A mostly drunk poet who died before the age of 40? How could he know what it's like to be a woman getting old and tired? Just how are we supposed to do his "raging"?

Sorry Dylan. Too knackered.

hicaz46 Fri 09-Aug-19 20:22:05

Surely you don’t need to do housework every day? Life’s too short for that. Go out and meet people or just walk.

Lessismore Fri 09-Aug-19 20:56:20

I wonder if he was referring to his father Gonegirl?

Lessismore Fri 09-Aug-19 20:58:09

Saggi, what a strange life. Why don't you move out?

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 21:10:53

Saggi perhaps your H needs to see a doctor to find out why he sleeps so much. As I said, much earlier, DH saw his GP because he was sleeping all day, and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. He now has a mask, more a light harness, to wear at night and after 2 nights of proper sleep has only had one very short nap today.

But perhaps you are happier with him sleeping all the time.

Aepgirl Fri 09-Aug-19 21:15:40

No, certainly not. I’m nearly 75, have a part-time job, and rarely sit down.

nana15 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:20:49

Try a walk each day building up to a mile it doen't have to be fast and it takes time but it will make you feel better. Sensible shoes are a must.

Poppsbaggie Fri 09-Aug-19 21:32:57

I'm bemused by the number of posters recommending a visit to the doctor. Have you tried to get an appointment recently?!!