Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this what I should expect at 73?

(101 Posts)
teabagwoman Thu 08-Aug-19 15:56:33

I’m finding that anything I want to do has to be done in the morning. I usually have a coffee break about 10.30 but by 11.30 I feel ready for bed! I make a quick lunch and sit down for most of the afternoon knitting etc. Stagger back on my feet about 4 and try to get a bit or ironing, gardening etc done for an hour before cooking my evening meal. Last night I fell asleep in front of the television at 8. I go to bed around 9, sleep pretty well, only getting up once for the loo, and wake up around 7. Is this what I should expect at 73?

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 15:02:35

We spent the day with my brother and sis-in-law yesterday - a two hours drive away. We left early and because the evenings are still light we didn't hurry back even though it was raining heavily.

It was only a day out so today, why do I feel like I've just returned from a fortnight's holiday? hmm

I didn't get up until 9.30. shock

Haven't got the staying power these days.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 12:06:46

Then there is 'housework', one's early morning potter, coffee in hand, or at least on a nearby surface, while you put yesterday's papers in the recycling, possibly empty the dishwasher or load the washing machine, top up the bird feeders, tidy the living room and make the beds.

That would take me all day. Especially as I don't do early mornings.

Elegran Mon 12-Aug-19 09:40:31

Monica The difference is whether you wear Marigolds and old clothes and roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, or just dress normally and tidy up visible surfaces before getting on with the day's real occupations.

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 09:01:55

I think it has more to do with the definition of housework.

For me there is Housework, today's job, which entails dusters, hoovers and surface cleaners and takes up several hours,

Then there is 'housework', one's early morning potter, coffee in hand, or at least on a nearby surface, while you put yesterday's papers in the recycling, possibly empty the dishwasher or load the washing machine, top up the bird feeders, tidy the living room and make the beds.

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 22:11:08

PS I have just googled the “Organised Mum Method” and I am gobsmacked. Surely this is aimed at young mums with (several) untidy children who need clearing up after them, not a gran?
I might have emulated the system when our three were teenagers but I had a full time job so the girls had to keep their own rooms reasonable (or the cleaner refused to go in!)
I think you need to reassess what needs doing - are there 2=of you at home or are you on your own?
Give yourself a break!

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 22:04:06

I think you need to ease up teabagwoman and have a more leisurely start to your day. Have another cup of tea in bed, get up slowly, put a load in the washing machine by all means, but don’t knock yourself out by dashing about the house like a “white tornado” - remember that?
What is so urgent that needs all your energy in the morning?

Nothing wrong with enjoying knitting in the afternoon either, I just wonder if you are setting too demanding a routine fir yourself.
If you still feel permanently tired, you may be anaemic or run down, so by all means check things out with a doctor, but in the meantime, do not beat yourself up!

grannyticktock Sun 11-Aug-19 19:59:13

I don't do much in the way of housework, especially now I'm living on my own. A few years ago, when my husband was alive, we had some friends in for coffee - very tidy and houseproud people. We were talking about our busy lives and all our various hobbies and activities, and one visitor (the male) looked a bit bewildered and said, "But what about the housework? When do you clean the toilets?"

I had no answer to that. When they begin to look as of they need cleaning, that's when, and not before, is the truthful answer. How sad it would be to restrict our social lives in order to prioritise cleaning! And anyway, the house doesn't get any dirtier if you spend time away from it. I certainly wouldn't (to return to the original topic) let housework dominate my life if was feeling weary, I'd save my limited energy for the things that are precious to me.

Iam64 Sun 11-Aug-19 19:10:12

I sleep a lot, similar to the OP and I often feel tired. I'm busy during the day, hour long walk in the morning, 20 - 30 mins late afternoon. Out and about most days seeing friends, family, helping with grandchildren etc. So by between 9 and 10 I'm ready for bed with a book and a herbal tea. I feel much better with that routine. I do enjoy the occasional night out but do feel tired the next day.
I do have health stuff - three diagnoses, each having 'tiredness' as a side effect so when I'm feeling grumpy about being tired, I remind myself and have an afternoon nap.

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 18:56:20

What a relief- I was beginning to feel #sluttygranny!

NanKate Sun 11-Aug-19 18:44:23

I think I do even less housework MawB. I agree life’s too short to ‘shake and vac’ ??

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 18:31:46

Reading some people’s accounts of their day, I cannot understand how some of you do “a couple of hours” of housework every day.
What on earth do you do? Or do you live in a mansion?
If somebody is coming to lunch or to stay, I reckon 20 minutes max upstairs and downstairs with the Dyson deals with carpets. I spray the shower screen after I use it anyway (and the guest bathroom gets a clean once a fortnight when my cleaner comes), a quick check of the downstairs loo, bit of loo cleaner down the pan, the kitchen is wiped etc as I go along - cushions are plumped, wp bins emptied- I can blitz the house in under an hour and frequently need do nothing at all! It’s a 4 bed house but since the children grew up and left home of course not all the rooms are in use. Guest bedrooms are made up and ready for (un) expected guests and washing and ironing as and when.
What am I missing?

And if I can’t spend an afternoon enjoying a book after years at the chalkface, what on Earth was the point of retiring?
Lunch or coffee with friends, visits to galleries/theatres/ cinemas when I am in the mood. (Even a nap should I feel the urge)
There is lots to look forward to at 69/71/73.

M0nica Sun 11-Aug-19 16:17:10

Why is it that on almost any thread, if any one says anything positive about themselves or what they or anyone they know or are related to has done, that is successful, they are always accused of bragging.

Why are we only allowed to run ourselves down or be miserable. Yes, of course, some people can do more or less than other people their age. Others have many disabling medical problems, but admitting that you do not have these problems is not a brag. Just a statement of fact.

How can you answer a question like that posed by the OP if we do not offer comparisons with what we can do at whatever age we are?

Witzend Sat 10-Aug-19 20:45:10

My sister, who's slightly older, was feeling terribly tired all the time. It turned out to be a thyroid problem, and she's a lot better now it's being treated.
I'm not at all one for running to the GP every 5 minutes, but it does seem that you might well benefit from a checkup.

Sleepygran Sat 10-Aug-19 20:36:26

I'm only in my mid 60 s and have been tired for years! Hence my username! I sleep badly,can't walk as well as I did, and seem to do less and less each year.
I've seen the GP,had blood tests and apparantly all is well.Maybe it's just how some of us are.
I wish I could brAg about how I can do loads, walk miles and look after GC but sadly I can't.?

EmilyHarburn Sat 10-Aug-19 15:03:29

No you should be better than this at 73. Have a propoer check up including a blood test. If you doctor is not hepful pay for one by an organisation such a Bluecrest
www.bluecrestscreening.com/about-bluecrest-health-screening
When you get the report take it into your GP and discuss any yellow or red flags with your doctor. If they are all green then you may be fine and perhaps should look at your life style and general wellbeing.

narrowboatnan Sat 10-Aug-19 12:50:30

Ask your doc to check your Vit B levels. I was tired most of the time til my GP checked mine. Now I have Vit B injections four times a year and feel so much better smile

Cambia Sat 10-Aug-19 06:40:33

Leave the housework. Try to get out for a half hour walk each day and perhaps volunteer for something if you would enjoy that. Lack of stimulation can make you lethargic I think.

Perhaps too it is the heavy weather making you feel a bit like this? Hope you see your doctor and soon feel a bit better x

Grandma2213 Sat 10-Aug-19 00:43:44

Missed the bracket on the last grin Must be the sherry (not a can at the moment!) grin again!

Grandma2213 Sat 10-Aug-19 00:41:29

Lessismore grin grin grin]

GreenGran78 Sat 10-Aug-19 00:26:50

I am 80, and had a hip replacement 3 months ago, which has slowed me down, somewhat. Even so, it seems that I have a lot more energy than you. I have about 7 hours sleep, and rarely have a nap in the day. I am managing to get more done, now that my mobility is improving, but housework is not top of my list. I do what has to be done to keep the place reasonable, but my motto is definitely ‘dust if you must!’

I’m glad that you are going to get a medical check-up, as it sounds as though something is slowing you down. If nothing shows up then perhaps you need to do less housework and more fun activities. The main thing is to listen to your body, and don’t overdo it. Good luck, and I hope that your get up and go soon comes back.

Lessismore Fri 09-Aug-19 22:59:49

I suggest open a few cans, feet up on the coffee table , pop a valium and flick through that copy of Hello magazine you borrowed from the hair dressers.

Destin Fri 09-Aug-19 22:57:39

In just about three weeks time I’ll be 77 and I am not prepared to slither and slide into an ageing lifestyle - because that is what it sounds has happened to you teabagwoman ....... I and only you can make that choice.

When I finally retired at 68 after working full time for over 33 years, as tempting as it was to think I could take the easy relaxing retirement road, I decided to try something different, like taking up new hobbies to help fill my retirement days .....so I got myself an allotment and signed up to take tennis lessons and then joined the local tennis club.

I just ‘changed gears’ in retirement - and these new activities opened up so many different options and choices to fill my retirement days.

During the past five years I’ve also joined a (ladies only) gym and I take 9 am fitness classes three times week. My afternoons are spent tending my allotment and at least twice a week I’m playing tennis with likeminded ladies at the tennis club.

As a result I sleep well, I eat very healthily (the veggies and fruit from my allotment) and I have found new friends with similar interests from the gym and the tennis club. I know these activities have made such a difference to my energy levels, and my weight is steady ( I’ve lost well over a stone since retiring) and I’m stronger and fitter than ever because An active lifestyle is just part of who I am now - even though I’m retired!

It.s the ‘lose it or use it’ mindset and the choice that you have made in your retirement years will unquestionably have an impact on the your quality of your life, not only physically but mentally too!

Hospital tests, doctor’s visits, pill popping, or long afternoon sleeps wont be the long term answer - only you can decide the route to a healthy retirement - and then decide to take hold of yourself and make practical changes.

Poppsbaggie Fri 09-Aug-19 22:03:28

You obviously have a more efficient surgery than the one I have to visit. I'll not regale you with the details, but I had to say my condition was 'urgent' just to be seen When I got to the surgery there was no-one in front of me, and when I left, no-one waiting. Leads me to believe the doctor didn't want to be bothered with pesky patients.

Venus Fri 09-Aug-19 21:48:20

I'm 73 and some days are better then others. Keep moving and find something that interests you. I dance. I do get tired in the evenings and sometimes nod off. . . but, hey I'm 73!

Lazigirl Fri 09-Aug-19 21:43:12

What are you supposed to do then Poppsbaggie, if you need to see a doctor? Ignore your symptoms and hope they will go away? teabagwoman says she has an appointment in two weeks, which seems appropriate for non a urgent consultation.