Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Rufus

(40 Posts)
callgirl1 Thu 08-Aug-19 23:25:26

Have I missed something lately? I`ve just realised that I haven`t seen a post from Rufus recently, hope he`s alright.

Rufus2 Sun 11-Aug-19 14:30:50

Up The City Blues! OoRoo
Buffy; Good to hear from you again! smile Hope you're keeping well. There's a tune called "Walking in the Rain", but I don't do that these days; also, my Wellies don't fit!
Watched City deal with the Hammers on TV today. Old Alf Garnett must be spinning in his grave! grin OoRoo to you too!

Dawn22 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:54:42

Hi Rufus
Welcome back.
I am a newbie to your cheerful ways.
Slainte. Irish version for good health to us all.
Dawn.

Rufus2 Sun 11-Aug-19 11:15:37

they do 4 weeks hands on in a hospital
Oooh, I bet you loved that bit.

Oooh, You are naughty! grin
Unfortunately it was a case of "hands on" for nurses and "hands off" for me! sad
Just as well really; I haven't been fitted with a pacemaker, so could have finished up in ICU; not the sort of delayed exit I had in mind! OoRoo

BradfordLass72 Sun 11-Aug-19 05:13:36

Rufus2 One of the best cricket jokes, almost certainly apocryphal, was Brian Johnston saying, 'Here they come now, onto the field. The batsman's Holding, the Bowler's Willey."

In this video, it seems these two lovely old commentators feel Jonners set it up himself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0a-FOoM9ms

Rufus2 Sun 11-Aug-19 04:17:55

At least the nurse didn't say 'Just a little prick'.
Shysal; As a matter of fact some did, but I thought it best not to use that term here, to save GN ladies' blushes. It kept reminding me of a "clever" joke as told to me by an Irish bowling colleague years ago, but had to keep biting my tongue in case I blurted it out.! grin To me, all nurses (not the male ones of course!) are modern day Florence Nightingales who wouldn't appreciate any remotely risqué jokes. I miss them all! wink

PageTurner Sun 11-Aug-19 02:54:41

Hi Rufus,
Sorry to hear of your health problem. Hope you are well on the mend.. Take it easy and wish you all the best.
I always enjoy your posts. Even the risqué ones ??

BradfordLass72 Sun 11-Aug-19 02:32:40

G'day Mate grin

they do 4 weeks hands on in a hospital
Oooh, I bet you loved that bit.

Glad to have you back me o'l cobber.

Buffybee Sat 10-Aug-19 18:31:26

I wondered what has become of you, thought that you'd gone
'walk about'.
Very rainy here in Manchester so I'm sure all the bad weather you're having reminds you of your old 'home'.
Up The City Blues! OoRoo

GillT57 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:26:12

welcome back Rufus, looking forward to your wisdom and humour. xx

callgirl1 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:50:23

So pleased to see you back Rufus, but sorry about Barbara. You seem to be having weather to grumble about as well, it`s a wee bit draughty here! Now you`re back, take good care of yourself, we need you to inject a bit of humour into things.

Callistemon Sat 10-Aug-19 15:13:18

I'm sorry to hear about your sister Rufus. Its especially hard when you're far away.

Take care, enjoy your meals and keep warm. I see one airport Down Under has been closed due to snow! (Posted on my FB page by Aussie rellies.)

POGS Sat 10-Aug-19 14:57:04

Hi Rufus

Sorry to hear your sad news.

I hope you recover fully and Look After Yourself!!!!!

We need your sillyness on Gransnet. wine

SilverDarlings12 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:37:39

So good to hear from you Rufus and sorry to hear about your sister Barbara. Yes you have the wild n woollies in Oz at the
moment, my Uncle Will was in Melbourne, grew kiwi fruit
in his leanto. Slainte From South Lakes (Cumbria)+

BlueBelle Sat 10-Aug-19 14:25:44

Welcome back belatedly from me too Rufus glad you’re feeling a lot better and as they say here in silly Suffolk keep a throshing boy

Rufus2 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:15:09

the medics don't always know how they came about except that in some cases it can be genetic
Ellan; Thank you! You could be right! My young sister, Barbara, died just 2 weeks before I entered hospital. From what I can gather from one of her daughters, a nurse, who lived with her in Bideford, Barbara had the same problem as me, involving daily visits from nurses and home helpers, but it appears that depression set in about last Easter and she retracted within herself, confined to bed and then suddenly she was gone, aged 86. Not bad, but a sad ending.

Rufus2 Sat 10-Aug-19 13:53:26

do you have 'Meals on Wheels' over there?
Callistemon; Certainly do! Frozen solid in Al. trays, extensive menu list, ten at a time delivered weekly, pop in the micro and hey presto! I'm always being reminded that I can't cook, but never allowed to when Vera was here. But I get by and even putting on weight would you believe; she'd be coming down on me like a ton of bricks! grin Cheers

Rufus2 Sat 10-Aug-19 13:35:48

Thank you all very much for your good wishes. It feels good to be back, although without wishing to be ungrateful, I think another week in that hospital would be beneficial, but not to be! sad Our weather is so unAustralian that it was making me homesick for the glorious summer days of the Old Dart, but where have they gone? Not to OZ for sure! Blame it on Brexit?

Doodle Sat 10-Aug-19 12:52:17

Glad to hear you are still with us Rufus (even if you’d rather be we the lovely nurses ?‍⚕️ ) ?

Anja Sat 10-Aug-19 12:36:28

?

Scribbles Sat 10-Aug-19 11:49:44

Welcome back!?

Framilode Sat 10-Aug-19 11:43:38

Great that you are back. Stay well.

glammanana Sat 10-Aug-19 10:01:42

So glad to see your name in lightsRufus I bet the nursing staff miss you as much as we did on GN.

Callistemon Sat 10-Aug-19 09:36:08

Rufus good to see you back and hope you make a good recovery. Take it easy - do you have 'Meals on Wheels' over there?
I did shudder at the word cannula - could you watch your language please wink

The weather here is atrocious this weekend, if it's any consolation, rain and gales.

merlotgran Sat 10-Aug-19 09:27:01

wine Cheers! Rufus. Nice to see you back. smile

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 09:26:02

It's always good to see the return of an absentee as it gives a sense of relief !
Circulatory problems like this aren't pleasant and the medics don't always know how they came about except that in some cases it can be genetic .
Glad you're back in the land of the living so just take things easy.
And yes, you're having a rough winter across the continent all blowing from your once "conjoined twin ", Antarctica.