Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cookery book for children

(10 Posts)
kittylester Tue 20-Aug-19 13:43:03

When my children were small we had a super cookery book which was used often.

Some of the dgc are showing an interest and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an up to date one.

Granarchist Tue 20-Aug-19 15:55:23

my grandchildren use the Delia Smith big one and my eldest DG opted for a Mary Berry TV series on the ipad for a 12 hour drive across France. They really don't need a book specifically for children.

kittylester Tue 20-Aug-19 16:56:17

I know they dont need one but I think a book of their own - they are 5,6 and 8 - might stimulate their interest. The older grand children do use my books.

EllanVannin Tue 20-Aug-19 17:27:04

Amazon have children's cookery books---perhaps an idea for C-------s ?

KatyK Tue 20-Aug-19 17:29:52

Yes I was just going to say Amazon have loads.

annodomini Tue 20-Aug-19 17:39:37

My DGD, when she was 8 or 9 used to take possession of my computer and my kitchen when she came round for the afternoon. She looked up and printed off recipes which she then made. Who did the clearing-up? Guess!
I still have the file she made and she's now 27.

kittylester Tue 20-Aug-19 18:27:39

I've looked at Amazon but would like a bit more insight. I will gp to an actual bookshop next week and leaf through some. I like to order 'click and collect' from Waterstones if I have had a recommendation but won't know till I get there what they actually have in stock.

I dont want anything too advanced for my tiny girls. Pa downloaded some recipes today which he enjoyed making with the 6 year old but I feel a book with pictures might fire their imagination. The one mine had at that age certainly did.

On the other hand, 12 year old dgs showed his other grandmother how to make pizzas from scratch.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Aug-19 18:46:49

My granddaughter had a packet like large playing cards with a receipt and pictures and instructions on each one Wipe down too In fact I only saw them the other day and was going to take to the charity shop

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 20-Aug-19 20:46:10

I bought this well over 20 years ago. I taught primary. My two grandchildren used it a lot and so do I.

Still do

My favourite is the carrot cake which uses cup full of this and that.

Greyduster Tue 20-Aug-19 21:48:28

Usborne do a good beginners one. I was thinking about it for GS at Christmas, but I decided I’d wait until his tastes broadened out a bit!