Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Toothache remedies

(29 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Aug-19 13:20:31

Any ideas on what to try please?

My daughter's wisdom tooth has been causing her excruciating pain. She had an emergency appointment at the dentist this morning, hoping to have it removed.

She had the injections, but could still feel pain, and then had a panic attack, so they couldn't do it. She has now been referred to the sedation clinic.

They won't get the referral until tomorrow, then she will have a consultation appointment next week, with the extraction set for the week after that. (This is correct, as my husband rang to see if she could get it done privately. This is what the clinuc told him, and said they don't have private appointments)

So she's stuck with this pain for at least two weeks it seems. She's been taking 500mg paracetamol, which has barely touched the pain.

Does anyone have any clever remedies that she could try as well as, or instead of, the paracetamol?

It's awful to see her in such pain.

She's type 1 diabetic, in case that us relevant.

Fennel Sun 01-Sep-19 11:37:25

I agree with Kitty Lester try other dentists.
If there's an infection in the tooth it's not safe to leave it for long.
Didn't the dentist prescribe antibiotics? Sounds strange to me.

gt66 Sun 01-Sep-19 11:13:26

I'm a bit late to this thread, so really hope your daughter has been sorted now and is not still in pain, but I would go along with the other poster who recommended a salt wash, with cooled boiled water. It has always worked for me with teeth issues and infections.

Tedber Sat 31-Aug-19 20:18:46

Agree with shabby - orajel extra strength, which can be bought over the counter. Had lots of problems with wisdom teeth and I couldn't have got through without it! Got some other stuff from GP which wasn't as effective as orajel. Use that with painkillers such as solpadeine max strength.

shabby Fri 30-Aug-19 00:22:08

Orajel is very good for toothache. It can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy and is applied directly onto the tooth and gum for instant pain relief.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Aug-19 23:29:43

DiL had terrible toothache in the weeks before she came home to Scotland to be married. She looked awful when she arrived, wracked with pain although her dentist had treated her. I begged my dentist to see her urgently which he did for no charge and said her mouth should never have been left in such a state. He performed some magic dentistry and she was able to enjoy the wedding, pain free. Sadly he's since retired .
I hope DD gets treatment soon. It's the worst thing. I have some toothache tincture for emergencies. I think it's clove oil and some anaesthetic.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Aug-19 22:15:29

Definitely paracetamol interspersed with ibuprofen and clove oil I hope she gets the relief she badly needs
Nothing worse than tooth pain poor girl or the fear of dentists

paddyann Thu 29-Aug-19 21:57:31

speak to a pharmacist,many years ago I had an abcess under my front tooth and the pharmacist gave ma a peroxide solution to kill the infection until the tooth could be taken out

janeainsworth Thu 29-Aug-19 20:05:11

Hurdygurdy If the dentist who offered to do the extraction today is another primary care (high street practitioner), as opposed to a secondary care (hospital) dentist your DD doesn’t need a referral. She can go to whoever she likes.

I do hope she gets it sorted quickly.

HurdyGurdy Thu 29-Aug-19 19:54:46

Well we found a dentist who said they could do the extraction today under sedation, but when my daughter rang her own dentist to ask to be referred to them, they told her the couldn't do it because she'd already been referred to the local sedation clinic

And what I'd forgotten when I first posted is that her dentist referred her to have all three wisdom teeth removed about three years ago. But when she went to the clinic (the one she's been referred to again) they wouldn't do it because of the diabetes, so they referred her on to the local hospital to have it done.

Then she got into the cycle of appointment - they cancelled it - they offered another appointment - they cancelled it - they offered another appointment . . . .

In the end, as the teeth weren't giving her problems she gave up. But now, of course, she really wants it done.

So she tried all afternoon today to get through to her dentist to ask for the original referral to be withdrawn, and a new referral to be made, as this way she'd get it done much quicker. And got into another cycle - ring - engaged - hang up - redial . . . .

So tomorrow's task is to keep on trying. She doesn't work Fridays, so if push comes to shove, she will physically go in and speak to them.

She spoke to the pharmacist who has given her some nurofen with codeine, which she's been advised to use for no more than three days, due to the possibility of addiction, then it's back to paracetamol.

I'll mention the thing about sleeping propped up though - that's interesting, and hopefully will give some relief

Thank you all SO much for taking time to reply. It's really appreciated.

Susan56 Wed 28-Aug-19 17:33:16

She can take ibuprofen at the same time as paracetamol.If she takes the paracetamol then halfway to the next dose take the ibuprofen so the pain relief is topped up.Clove oil can give temporary relief too.There is also a gel called orajel.Maybe talk to your local pharmacist,it is a couple of years ago since I retired from pharmacy so there may be new products available.

travelsafar Wed 28-Aug-19 16:58:25

suesocks yes i agree i was told the same plus to sleep propped up rather than lying down, aparrently when you do, it puts more pressure on the nerve. Also a hotwater bottle wrapped in a tea towel sometimes helps. Poor girl really feel for her, nothing worse than toothache.

HildaW Wed 28-Aug-19 16:46:25

Oh yes abscess pain is diabolical......when the dentist explained that the infection was making a hole in the bone.....it explained why it was so bad.

annodomini Wed 28-Aug-19 15:18:59

When I had a tooth abscess on the lower jaw, the pain radiated along the jaw to my ear. The pain was unspeakable, but it helped a bit to put some anti-inflammatory gel on the jaw line (externally of course) and it did alleviate the pain if only just a little.

SueDonim Wed 28-Aug-19 14:59:15

You can buy codeine-with-paracetamol over the counter at a pharmacy. It's only higher dose codeine that is prescription-only.

The latest thinking on taking paracetamol and ibuprofen is that you should take them at the same time, not alternately. It seems to work better, with each drug complementing the other.

You dd will need to watch her tummy with ibuprofen, though, especially if she's not eating much due to the pain. It needs to be taken with/shortly after food, not an empty stomach.

HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Aug-19 14:22:26

Thank you all. I'll pass the suggestions on to her.

The dentist is just across the road from her GP. I told her to go straight over and ask for an emergency appointment to ask for codeine, but I think she was so traumatised from the dentist, she just wanted to get home.

I'm out for the day with her daughter, or I'd go and take her to the pharmacist myself (we share a car), but I will take her when we get home

Jude2006 - she's 31 (and how old does that make ME feel, ha ha)

GagaJo Wed 28-Aug-19 14:14:33

Codeine. But she'll need a prescription. Had this with my daughter. We took her to the walk in clinic (doctors). Had to explain the situation in detail because they wouldn't normally give prescription pain killers for dental pain. Codeine worked.

SueSocks Wed 28-Aug-19 14:10:35

Just to reinforce what others have said, you can alternate Paracetamol with Ibuprofen. My dentist surgery told me this.

jude2006 Wed 28-Aug-19 14:10:31

Hello HerdyGurdy, I would try an anti-inflammatory and painkiller together.
Thats what dentists used to prescribe when someone had wisdom teeth removed.
You have not said how old your daughter is, I would ask your local pharmacist about dosage.
A combination of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen tablets taken together as directed by the pharmacist could help, it might take a few doses before it becomes effective.
Good luck hope this helps.

HildaW Wed 28-Aug-19 14:00:43

The pain from wisdom teeth can often be more about an infection from food debris that has become trapped as the teeth have not fully erupted. When I was a dental nurse many years ago we would prescribe antibiotics and a medicated mouthwash to reduce the infection and wash away any more potential problems. A low tech version of a mouthwash that I've found very effective is a salt mouth wash. Dissolve a couple of teaspoons in warm water and rinse after every meal and last thing at night. I have found it very soothing when coping with an infection near a molar. Its not immediate but does seem to reduce the severity of the pain.

Septimia Wed 28-Aug-19 13:53:39

I had a broken front tooth which eventually had to be removed. My dentist opted to take out the nerve to make it more comfortable until the replacement tooth was ready. He gave me the maximum dose of painkiller via several injections into the gum and I was still in agony when he touched the nerve. Then he had a brainwave - he couldn't give me any more injections, but he squirted the anaesthetic into the tooth and it worked like magic!

Unfortunately that method might not work for a wisdom tooth. I had to go to outpatients to have mine removed and it was a much better experience than I expected.

Meanwhile can your daughter alternate types of painkiller? Paracetamol every 4 hours and ibuprofen in between? I think that's the right combination....

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 13:44:44

Find another dentist! If a tooth has an infection under it, anaesthetic might not take hold. My dentist solved this by putting an injection right down the side of the tooth, which worked.

It probably depends on what's causing the pain though. If it's an infection I'm surprised they didn't give her antibiotics and have her come back in a week.

But I'm not a dentist.

SueDonim Wed 28-Aug-19 13:44:03

Try another private dentist.

In the meantime, and assuming she's an adult, take 2x500mg paracetamol or codeine & paracetamol at regular intervals. Don't wait for the pain to start up again before taking them. She could also take ibuprofen.

Is there any inflammation or infection? She might need antibiotics if there is.

Hope she feels better soon - toothache is misery. flowers

Daisymae Wed 28-Aug-19 13:43:18

Another private dentist is the best option. In the interim a contact her GP. Phone 111 they can be good with their advice.

kittylester Wed 28-Aug-19 13:37:31

My (private) dentist offers sedation so it might be worth ringing round. Or try ringing PALS.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Aug-19 13:32:15

Oh, the poor thing! Can her dentist not prescribe something?

I’ve found that rubbing on toothpaste made especially for sensitive teeth has helped with nasty twinges, but she probably needs a strong painkiller.