Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

OH Birthday

(46 Posts)
dogsmother Tue 03-Sep-19 08:52:05

Help required.
What on earth do I get the man who requires nothing!?
I just would like to have him unwrap a little something, but this time I’m stymied, he really has too many clothes and things.....

SueH49 Thu 05-Sep-19 07:45:23

What about personalised number plates?

It could be a joint present from several family members if the price is too much for just one.

harrigran Thu 05-Sep-19 07:34:29

We do not bother with gifts at all now, DH's birthday is five days before Christmas and DS's seven days before so we usually just have a meal out. We always take the family out for Christmas day dinner so DH gets wined and dined in style.

Humbertbear Wed 04-Sep-19 07:46:50

Like most of the SH described above my husband is pretty impossible to buy for, especially as we now have an embargo on CDs. I’ve worked through suitable experiences - falconry and playing the organ in Gloucester Cathedral. This year I bought him a bat detector for his birthday and for our Golden Wedding I gave him a boot bag for his muddy wellies! over the years I have given away a couple of very successful ideas to the children. So they have bought him a DashCam and a Weather Station which sits in the kitchen but is linked to an outside monitor. Both of these were great hits. Biggest failure? A state of the art iPod which is still unwrapped in its box.

willa45 Tue 03-Sep-19 22:58:51

Gabriella you made me laugh out loud....especially the feathers! grin

willa45 Tue 03-Sep-19 22:54:37

Theater tickets, magazine subscriptions, a literary best seller, a bottle of fine wine, adult puzzles, a chess set if he plays....a personally made/knitted item such as a scarf, hat or sweater.....a framed photo of something meaningful, a movie video, a music video, movie tickets, concert tickets, favorite sports event tickets, golf stuff if he's a fan, wine stuff for same. A gift card to his favorite restaurant or a box of edible goodies such as dessert assortment.

You know the recipient better than anyone so you just have to think out of the proverbial box. Some close friends of ours once sent us a case of frozen steaks/veal cutlets/seafood etc., as a 'thank you' for allowing them to stay with us (over a week) after they sold their house and moved to another part of the country.

GabriellaG54 Tue 03-Sep-19 21:18:46

Buy yourself some racy underwear, heels and feathers and a bottle of 1996 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes. Have a night in.

sarahanew Tue 03-Sep-19 21:08:15

Treat him to a special day out doing something he would enjoy, creating memories

GabriellaG54 Tue 03-Sep-19 20:44:05

NOTHING

Scribbles Tue 03-Sep-19 19:36:56

For one of his "significant " birthdays, I gave OH a day's driving experience on a steam railway. You do need to be quite fit (and a steam engine enthusiast) to properly enjoy it, though.
Sadly, the state of OH's knees would never let him climb on the footplate these days.?

Evie64 Tue 03-Sep-19 19:12:12

What about a newspaper from the day he was born or a Kindle? You can get both online. Or perhaps a voucher for Amazon, then he can buy books (paper or Kindle), DVDs, clothes, IT stuff, anything really.

Fflaurie Tue 03-Sep-19 18:40:46

I think you should buy a beautiful handbag and lipstick and wear them for him............

firdaus19 Tue 03-Sep-19 18:39:46

For something out of the ordinary and personalised, there is a photobooth at the LEGO store in London which turns a photo into a LEGO mosaic. Unfortunately they don't offer this service online, but I found that other people do. For my brother's 70th birthday I almost ordered from Hong Kong then opted for someone in Germany who turned out to be excellent. My brother was very touched with his portrait, done in LEGO from a photo I had sent in. It's not so cheap, but can be great for a special occasion.

4allweknow Tue 03-Sep-19 18:31:32

How about a book covering the history of where he was born, raised. Civic Societies do quite a range. Or if he is sport minded, a meet and greet with a favourite player, F1 driver etc. Tickets for a show you could of course accompany him.

Farmor15 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:41:09

I think OH and I have decided not to bother trying to buy each other presents. I didn't get anything for him last birthday and he didn't get anything for mine (today). We'll go out for dinner tonight. It's pointless just buying something you could buy yourself.

Experiences can be the best present, if you can be sure the voucher will be used. Some good suggestions by other posters. Our children got us a voucher for whalewatching, which was brilliant! We could choose the date - obviously weather dependent.

janeainsworth Tue 03-Sep-19 17:01:47

I have a big birthday this month & for my present MrA & I are spending the night at the lovely Grand Hotel in Tynemouth. DD and DSiL will join us for dinner.

Liz46 Tue 03-Sep-19 16:55:51

I love owls and my daughter bought me an owl experience at Stockley Farm. I loved it. We put on the thick glove and the owls flew onto our arms.

Nonnie Tue 03-Sep-19 16:26:30

I agree with those who suggest an experience, there are so many now. Between us, and sometimes together, we have had flight lessons, balloon rides, massages (they do great ones for men) steam train rides, afternoon tea +++

dogsmother Tue 03-Sep-19 16:20:23

Thanks everyone, Bugbabe I think that would make him fall down laughing ( me too) and could be top of the possibles.
Lucky....The cake has already been turned down lol !
I’m still struggling as even books he will only seem to read if on his kindle ?‍♀️

Juliet27 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:20:52

Wrap yourself up and put a bow on your head??

Gone are the days when we’d confidently UNwrap ourselves and put a bow on our head !?

Madmaggie Tue 03-Sep-19 14:00:24

Manchester airport for the aircraft I meant to say.

Madmaggie Tue 03-Sep-19 13:59:18

Don't know where you live but how about a canal trip with afternoon tea or lunch. Got my other half a session in a flight simulator and he loved it and it wasn't too expensive. One year I got tickets for two to the aircraft exhibition they have permanently there, he was pleased. If you're near the Morgan car company they do tours with afternoon tea. My hubby is always happy with a nice bottle of red wine.

petra Tue 03-Sep-19 13:36:47

For my birthday tomorrow we are going to Eltham Palace then to Greenwich pier to take a cruise up the river.
I wish Mr Lucky a peaceful day tomorrow, Luckygirl.

sodapop Tue 03-Sep-19 13:10:42

Luckygirl best wishes to Mr Lucky for tomorrow, hope he has a peaceful, comfortable day. The audible books idea was a good one for him I thought.
Dogsmother maybe you could do your own token and wrap it for your Other Half. A day out anywhere of his choice, trip to the theatre or cinema, out to his favourite restaurant.

midgey Tue 03-Sep-19 12:46:21

Neilspurgeon oh I hear your frustration! grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:54:21

An outing, if your husband is still in good health, dogsmother. I packed a picnic lunch and told DH we were off on a mystery tour on our bikes on his last birthday.

If however you are in the sad situation of having a husband who is not fit, then it does become more difficult.

Perhaps serve whatever he likes best for whichever meal he eats most of, or wander down memory lane if you have photos of previous birthdays to look at?