Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Books for 6 year old girl.

(15 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 06-Sep-19 06:11:22

Gosh, I'm absolutely amazed we haven't had a diatribe about 'gender specific' and that 6 year old girls should be given books about pirates!

I used to love the Flower Fairy books and still do. I learned a great deal about wild flowers from them.

ElaineI Thu 05-Sep-19 23:07:26

DGS age 5 loves Roald Dahl books, Magic Faraway Tree Enid Blyton - also her fairy/ elf stories, Horrid Henry, Beastly Bertie. Depends on if they are to be read to her or for her to read as at that stage it would be very different. Give her a couple of years and she will change again.

fizzers Thu 05-Sep-19 19:49:50

Your local library (children's dept) should be able to point you in the right direction, they will have a pretty goos idea what is popular at the moment

Howjado Thu 05-Sep-19 19:46:30

Thank you for all your suggestions ladies. Looked in the local library today and saw a book by Isla Fisher called Marg in Charge. This looked suitable too.

agnurse Thu 05-Sep-19 19:41:10

She might also like the Magic Treehouse books, or the Bailey School Kids series.

agnurse Thu 05-Sep-19 19:40:08

They were published years ago, so you may have to buy them second-hand, but as a child I loved The Kids at the Polk Street School series. This was a series about second grade (so about 7-8 years old) children attending school, and about their adventures. There were two spinoff series as well - Polka Dot Private Eye (mysteries starring one of the girls in the class), and New Kids at the Polk Street School (which dealt with Stacy, a Kindergarten (Reception) student who was the younger sister of one of The Kids at the Polk Street School). They are chapter books but are not terribly long. I remember enjoying them when I was young. They deal with many common issues that children face when they attend school.

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Sep-19 14:26:09

I second Katie Morag stories.

Cressida Thu 05-Sep-19 14:15:15

My granddaughters enjoyed the Secret Kingdom books by Rosie Banks.

LullyDully Wed 04-Sep-19 17:10:52

If she likes an adventure , Dinosaur Cove is an exciting series. My GD loved them. She also liked Beast Quest. ( now she is 14 she hates Jane Austin)

midgey Wed 04-Sep-19 16:54:10

David Williams and Famous Five are a little bit old for a six year old, I remember being scared by some of the Five stories! Secret Seven or The Far Away Tree.

GrannySomerset Wed 04-Sep-19 15:18:33

And if you can possibly get to a book shop, staff there will be full of suggestions and ideas.

GrannySomerset Wed 04-Sep-19 15:14:29

Try the wonderful Katie Morag books, “The Lighthouse Keeper’s Cat” and its sequels, “Six Dinner Sid”, the “Hairy McClary” series and “I don’t want to go bed” (author forgotten). And there are so many wonderful picture books with text that you will be spoiled for choice. My only advice is not to buy something you don’t like because you will be very bored if it becomes a favourite!

Chewbacca Wed 04-Sep-19 15:11:41

Might not be fashionable now but my granddaughter has very much enjoyed reading some of the Famous Five books and The Naughtiest Girl in the School; by Enid Blyton.
Also The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy.

gillybob Wed 04-Sep-19 15:10:53

When my middle DGD was 6 she enjoyed all of the "Daisy and the trouble with....." by Kes Gray books.

There are some wonderful box sets available and the subjects are really good too, ranging from zoos, life, sports day, kittens, school trips....you name it.

Easy to understand, decent size print a few illustrations and good stories.

/www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=310188&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxraF0au35AIVleh3Ch2H2w90EAQYASABEgIfrPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Howjado Wed 04-Sep-19 14:42:53

Can anybody recommend some good books for my dgc please. She has just turned 6 years old in August and is on Oxford reading books level 7, so about “normal” for her age. But she is fed up of reading about Biff, Chip and Floppy! I have just looked at David Williams books in the supermarket and like the idea of illustrations on every page but read on Mumsnet they often have a death in the story. We have just had a family death so I think Williams might not be suitable at the moment. Which other authors should I look at?