Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Boys Toys

(29 Posts)
quizqueen Sat 07-Sep-19 09:09:34

ride on scooter, push toys like a wheel barrow, climbing frame, garden house, water/sand tray, paints, jigsaws, small world play like a farm/zoo, cars and car mat, exploratory things like torches/magnets/magnifying glass. Take him to Smyths or The Entertainer, now Toys R Us has gone , and let him look around himself.

Bopeep14 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:07:34

Mega blocks are big hit in my house all the grandchildren love building towers and knocking them over.

I also have the mega bocks table they can build on.

You can also buy sets that build into characters.

gillybob Sat 07-Sep-19 09:01:30

My DGS loved his toy hoover when he was 2 but then eventually dropped it in favour of little figures from Playmobil and Imaginext. They both do a range for younger children. He also loved cars, diggers and trucks so we bought him a playmat with a road lay out and he played for ages moving the cars around the roads. You can get some good chunky vehicles in the Early Learning centre. It sounds funny but at 2 his favourite pastime was when I pulled the blinds up and he (armed with a squirty bottle of water and a cloth) “cleaned” my windows. Happy days smile

Now he’s 9 and just sleeps, eats and breaths sport.

GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 08:53:15

Help!

Darling grandson is at a stage where he needs more toys. Of course, he has a lot, but he doesn't play with a lot of them and we think he's outgrown them.

Here's the rub. My daughter (and darling boy) live with me. My daughter is my only child. I have neices (no nephews). My friends all had girls. I have NO idea about boys toys for 18 month / 2 year olds.

Currently grandson has:
Toy kitchen
Toy pushchair (LOVES it)
Toy hoover
Couple of big trucks
(obviously a load of other random stuff too)

He's still a bit too small for Duplo (big Lego) and I'm a bit at a loss to know what to buy for him. We want to make sure he has toys for both genders BUT he likes what he sees me and his mum doing, hence the kitchen/pushchair etc.

What do little boys play with?