Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Irish passport?

(92 Posts)
mosaicwarts Sun 08-Sep-19 23:10:23

Hello everyone, I met a friend tonight who said she was applying for an Irish passport, in addition to her UK passport. Has anyone else with Irish ancestors done this yet?

DidoLaMents Fri 20-Sep-19 11:52:25

Notanan2 can I ask where you are getting your information from? Perhaps if you provided some links that might help with the discussion?

Grammaretto Tue 10-Sep-19 16:53:59

crystaltipps Hear Hear!

I think I will invoke my rights now and apply. I already know of plenty of others who have applied and received their citizenship and passports.

crystaltipps Tue 10-Sep-19 00:36:57

Yes I’m protesting in many ways, thank you. Why assume this is the only one? Plus it’s not just about a protest. The Irish government are taking on more civil servants to deal with the extra work. I’d be interested to know exactly how many children living in the U.K. are in the position you describe. The ROI are not discouraging those of Irish descent who wish to apply. I feel it also shows support for the ROI and the disgusting and dismissive way they have been treated by the U.K. and some of its politicians. Yes I could also write to my MP and how do you know I haven’t done this?

Missfoodlove Mon 09-Sep-19 22:59:17

Mosaicwarts

Look what you started ?????

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:31:26

To the people who think the backlog only applies to people who don't really need their cert or first passport, can you screenshot the part of the form where is asks "tick A. if you are just applying fir sh*its'n'giggles, tick B. if you actually need this, to, y'know, live your life!"

'cause I'm pretty sure there is none, and the backlog is affecting all kinds of people!

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 21:29:03

jura. Many? I must confess I do not know any leavers, but I know quite a lot of people who have applied for Irish passports.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:23:22

Foreign birth registration doesnt = the dual citizen route. Thats not what it means.

as I know, the current long delays for those wanting an Irish passport only affects those not already Irish citizens
Everyone who applies for a passport is already a citizen. (Unless they wrongly apply) whether it is their first passport or a renewal.

Applying for a first passport does not mean the person is natralised or dual or not otherwise "ordinary Irish" whatever that means. It just means its their first Irish passport.

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:16:04

What I find beyond belief, is that many have availed themselves of Irish passports, thus keeping their rights, having voted to Leave and take those rights away for millions who voted remain.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:14:16

There are Irish adults born in England who never previously needed a passport, but do now (thanks to "hostile environment" + Brexit). Not everyone had a passport growing up.

If by "ordinary Irish people" you mean people who do not have another citizenship, well then there are "ordinary Irish people" caught up in the Foreign birth registration & first passport backlog.

You can be born in UK and have no right to UK citizenship. The Irish passport route is a necessity for people in the UK who have no other citizenship!

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:07:58

No it doesn't farmor!

It is nothing to do with natralisations of people who weren't previously citizens.

Nor are all Irish people who do not have a second citizenship just needing to renew, many need to go on the foreign birth register and get their first passport!

Children born in England/Wales/Scotland to Irish parents are not automatically british citizens so their Irish citizenship is the only one they have!

If their Irish parents werent born in Ireland then they need to go on the foreign birth register and use that route and then get their first passport!

The foreign birth route isnt just for people who have other citizenships. Many only have that one! But still need to use the foreign births route. And it is now taking up to a year instead of weeks!

Farmor15 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:47:19

As far as I know, the current long delays for those wanting an Irish passport only affects those not already Irish citizens. More UK citizens wanting Irish passports (1 Irish grandparent is sufficient) won’t slow down passports for ordinary Irish people. I renewed mine recently online and it was very quick.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:29:00

We know this because there are currently lots of EU passport holders who are resident outside of the EU.

And when they are visiting for the purpose of a transient visit, they do not have a right to everything a resident EU citizen has there.

If the intention of the "visit" was to take up study or residency etc they instantly would.

But while visiting. They are visitors.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:25:51

BTW a lot of "rights" within the EU for EU citizens still go on residency! Residency + citizenship, not just citizenship. If you are resident outside the EU and go on a visit to an EU country even on an EU passport, you are still a non resident! The passport alone doesnt give you "full EU rights" unless you decide to move there and become resident!

Which being an EU citizen would allow you to do. But in terms of visiting you will have similar standing to a British passport holder: a non resident.

Now if you wanted to MOVE not visit there, yes your EU passport gives you more rights!

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:15:27

"I'm protesting Brexit!"
"Oh! You going to Westminster with a placard?"
"no"
"writing to all brexit supporting candidates to tell them that they never again will get your vote?"
"no"
"Leaving the UK in disgust?"
"no"
"how are you protesting then?"
"I am going to add to the administrative backlog of the embassy of a country that's NOT Brexiting!"
"erm... riiiiiight! that'll show 'em!"

crystaltipps Mon 09-Sep-19 18:05:27

It’s not about occasional holidays....I have family in 3 EU countries ( including Ireland) and visit on a regular basis. I want to be able to maintain my rights as an EU citizen, when I do. Yes it is a Brexit protest as well but why not.

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 17:39:54

Yes mcem my three daughters each have first class degrees in sensible subjects and at the moment, good jobs but they certainly talk about the opportunities in Europe and have friends working overseas who will never return to these shores.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:38:48

And they are both examples of needing one.

You dont need one to express your political views or to "protest" or to continue to live here full time just going on occaisonal holidays!

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 17:33:17

A lot of us holiday in our own homes in EU countries and are concerned about any laws that may change affecting us.

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 17:28:38

I'm not talking about holidays.
I'm talking about intelligent young people with a lot to contribute being so disgusted with Westminster that they might well just up and leave on a permanent basis!

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:23:27

I had an American travelling companion on a trip around part of Europe once (with my EU passport) Guess what? The border cops took just as long looking at my passport as theirs! We crossed the borders together.

Yes! You can holiday in Europe just fine without an EU passport. People do it all the time.

The thing that may inhibit us would be exchange rates.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:15:56

Yet brits currently manage just fine to holiday outside of europe at the moment. Having a British passport will not prohibit holidays in Europe post brexit any more than it currently prohibits holidays beyond the EU

What will be restricted are things like work, residence, study, etc. Not 2 weeks in the sun/snow!

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 17:11:43

We also had friends who lived and worked in Switzerland,
And others in Holland ( pre EU).

lemongrove Mon 09-Sep-19 17:09:59

How odd.....we never had any problems at all, and visited countries all over the world as well as in Europe.

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 17:00:23

Isn't this getting a bit silly? People are entitled to do what they want if regulations allow!

Yes, we did all have holidays abroad before we entered the EU but a) the world has changed/numbers of people travelling/population increase means that the situation is NOT the same and b) it was not that easy to travel abroad anyway, many fewer people did it, it required international driving licences, Green cards, different insurance arrangements, health cover, visas and things we no longer have to think about or won't have to until 31st October.

mcem Mon 09-Sep-19 16:56:40

Today's conversation with DS and DiL.
Her parents were born and brought up in NI.
Have always had UK passports but have now applied for Irish ones. Once theirs are processed DiL will apply for Irish passports for herself and new DGS.
I have said to them that if, in a year or two they feel they need to move - to Dublin, France, anywhere in the EU (but never to England) they will have my blessing though it breaks my heart to say it.
I can only hope that Scottish independence may give them the incentive to stay.
Scotland will need intelligent young people like them.