Irish passport?

mosaicwarts Sun 08-Sep-19 23:10:23

Hello everyone, I met a friend tonight who said she was applying for an Irish passport, in addition to her UK passport. Has anyone else with Irish ancestors done this yet?

GrandmaKT Sun 08-Sep-19 23:15:14

No, but I know someone who works in the passport office and they have been inundated and had to take on extra staff for the past 3 years!

paddyann Sun 08-Sep-19 23:26:02

I dont think its as simple as folk think.I do have a friend who voted leave and the first thing he did was get irish passports for his sons which made my blood boil.He thinks property will plummet in teh EU and his sons can "clean up" and make a fortune!He of course will occupy one of said cheap luxury properties ,people like this make me sick.

KatyK Sun 08-Sep-19 23:26:26

My parents were from Southern Ireland and I have considered this but my DH is English through and through so it wouldn't help us really.

mosaicwarts Sun 08-Sep-19 23:39:31

Thanks for answering. When I sell my house I plan to travel, a lot, and now I'm alone separate queues won't apply sad I think I might investigate further, my grandmother was Irish.

morethan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 03:56:36

I’m married to an Irishman my understanding is that claiming Irish Nationality only goes back two generations, so our children and grandchildren can apply for an Irish passport through their Irish father/ grandfather if they wish (they don’t) I’d be interested to know if things have changed since I last enquired which was about 1983 when my last child was born.

annep1 Mon 09-Sep-19 04:07:24

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 05:03:29

I've had my Irish passport for many years but then my parents were Irish. One of my three children now has her Irish passport, it took 9 months in all to get because the process is two part - first you must be registered in the Book of Foreign Births, secondly you apply for the passport itself.

Daughter 2 has just started applying. There are huge delays because of the number of people applying.

Grammaretto Mon 09-Sep-19 06:23:23

I enquired last week. It costs 278 euros and takes a year at present. This is for citizenship which you need before applying for a passport.
I may apply as a protest against the lack of freedoms we now have.

When Cameron's referendum came out marginally in favour of leaving the EU, I don't believe any of us knew how many freedoms and rights would be denied us. Freedoms we had helped to secure.
I drove across the border last week. Now it is hardly noticeable. We need to keep it so.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Sep-19 08:10:37

My daughter got Irish passports for my two grandkids who’s father died as he was Irish and they were both born in Ireland but had a UK passport when they came to live here They now have the choice she did that three years ago when the trouble first kicked off it was not expensive and arrived very quickly

I have two other grandkids born in Ireland with Irish passports one born in Belgium and two born in NZ so thankfully all my grandkids will be able to travel

aggie Mon 09-Sep-19 08:34:49

I was married to an Irish man , children all have Irish passports, my youngest sister was born here so she has the same , my ancestors were Irish but not near enough so I can’t get an Irish passport , what I want is a Scottish one !

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:39:06

Please don't! People who actually need theirs for travel etc are being caught up in the back log!

The back log is also affecting Irish citizens in UK who have no other citizenship to fall back on!

Your "protest" wont affect anyone but them!

Iam64 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:41:50

Yes, the majority of my friends who have Irish parents have applied for Irish passports. So have their adult children.

annsixty Mon 09-Sep-19 08:50:25

My ex DiL is applying for Irish passports for her 2 children as their father is Irish.
I must admit until she told me a few weeks ago it wasn't something I knew about, or rather hadn't thought about.
They want them to have freedom to travel.

kircubbin2000 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:00:48

Property is already in trouble. My son is trying to sell his lovely flat beside tube and rail link but no one wants it.

aggie Mon 09-Sep-19 09:07:29

Grammaretto I remember the tensions on the train as the border drew near ! We were on a visit to relations in Navan and were returning , with a few "extras" to "The North"

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:41:46

An Irish passport does not make you an Irish or EU citizen, you already need to be one to get an Irish passport!

You either are one by birth, or you are one once you join the foreign births register.

The passport doesnt change your citizenship or EU status so if you do not NEED one for travel or proof/ID, getting one now at a time when people who NEED one are struggling with delays is both selfish and stupid!

notentirelyallhere Mon 09-Sep-19 09:49:02

Thanks for the clarity Notanan, the process and rules for applying are complex.

However, anyone who was actually born in Ireland /lives there and who desperately needs their passport renewed can get a bit of priority by phoning the passport office in Dublin. I know an Irish man in the UK who did that last year and he was accommodated.

It's not just Ireland which is swamped by passport applications for travel after Brexit purposes, Germany is the same and to a lesser extent other EU countries.

Witzend Mon 09-Sep-19 09:52:39

Yes, my dh and his brothers, all Brits, but who had an Irish-born grandmother.
I think it was a bit of a faff, getting all the paperwork (birth certificate etc.) but otherwise quite straightforward.
All but one, who hasn't yet got around to it, now have Irish passports.

PurpleIris Mon 09-Sep-19 10:09:26

I'm pleased to have found this thread today as I've been going over and over this.
I live in Southern Ireland and have done for 18 + Years.Im married to an Irish man.Im from uk.2 of our children have Irish passports due to their Irish father and 2 from my 1st marriage have British ones,as do I.We would have to go through the Irish naturalization route which totals €1,250 ! I had no part in the Brexit vote,nor did so many of us Brits living overseas.We do have an Irish link in our anscesters but not quite enough for it to be easy.Im also wondering that if we have our British passports would it be easier when travelling back to UK,I fly back and forth twice a month,but then make it awkward returning to Ireland or going to other countries? I don't think any of us know 100% what will happen or how it will affect us.I really can't prioritise or afford the fee and I always felt happy with my British passport up until now!
confused

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:12:35

No theyre not, if you have a birth cert or foreign birth cert you have your proof of citizenship.

And non Irish born Irish citizens (who have no other citizenship to fall back on) cant just call Dublin and get fast tracked, they are being held up with all the "protest" applications in London! Its not just Irish born people who move here who are affected, for second generation Irish born here after the early 80s they may have no option but to use their Irish passport!

Irish in the UK are not under the UK settlement scheme but are being asked for their Irish passports to prove they can still work or rent or have a bank account. People in these situations arent having other proof accepted (even though its valid).

If you are also British this doesnt affect you. If you arent planning to use an Irish passport there is no point and you just cause problems for those who do.

quizqueen Mon 09-Sep-19 10:16:51

People should only be allowed to hold one passport.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:17:41

Passport doesnt = citizenship. Its a document you can use to show your citizenship.

You are no less a citizen if you dont have one.

Lots of people in the UK have no other passport to fall back on.

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:30:38

People who think that that having an Irish passport AND a British passport whilst they still live in Britain will "retain their EU rights" have a fundamental missunderstanding of how dual citizenship works!

You cannot use one against the other!

I.e. in Ireland you cannot have the British consolate defend you against the Irish government and in Britain you cannot have the Irish government defend you against the British government and laws.

A dual British/anything citizen in Britain is British.

If you go to a THIRD country where you do not hold citizenship, only there can you chose which citizenship rules to travel under.

I wish these "protest passport" people would do a quick google before spouting nonsense about keeping their EU rights!

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 10:41:45

My sister has got one and I am applying also. I want it because we have a house in France and as notanan says I can use it there in order to function as a EU citizen and in Ireland, I would, of course use my Irish passport.

quizqueen Why?