Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If my husband doesn't die in the next four years, I will be destitute.

(106 Posts)
annsixty Mon 16-Sep-19 13:41:58

I find this thread deeply disturbing and deeply depressing I can offer no solution or even comfort.

Razzy Mon 16-Sep-19 13:30:53

Have you looked at Retirement Mortgages? You can get a lump sum paid to you, secured on the house, and repayments can be quite small. It would certainly buy you time to decide if you want to move. Or could you rent out a room? There are even schemes that match an older person to a student and they can help out. Retirement Mortgage is not the same as equity release, which is another option.

Luckygirl Mon 16-Sep-19 12:57:49

It is very difficult to get a new insurance policy when you are older - my OH has none and is in a slowly terminal state. I know that when he dies (if I am still on my perch) I will have to sell the bungalow. Or - and you might like to consider this - take out some sort of equity release/lifetime mortgage on the property. That is currently on the cards for us as his care is draining the little savings we had.

I have decided that the only thing to do is to srtide on into the future and not worry too much. What will be will be.

Lona Mon 16-Sep-19 12:52:03

I know how you feel bob, I can only afford to live until I’m 80, (73 now), as I won’t be eligible for much in the way of benefits, and my rent will have used up all my capital. ?
Unfortunately I’m incredibly healthy! ?

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 12:12:01

I completely understand your situation Bobdoesit as my DH are in a similar boat.

DH's life insurance ended 2 years ago just after he had a stroke. The company refused another policy. We tried several other insurance companies but all refused on medical grounds. Therefor no life insurance. We still have a mortgage and a 10 year age gaps means I cannot retire for another 10 years (he's almost 68 and I'm 57) . The house is a 2 bedroom terrace in the North East, so isn't worth a lot anyway. Pointless thinking of downsizing as by the time we cleared the mortgage there would be nothing left.

If you do happen to find any life cover you will be very lucky. I have given up trying.

Bobdoesit Mon 16-Sep-19 12:03:39

My husband and I have our own home which is paid for but maintaining it and paying rates etc., is a struggle with our two government pensions. When my husband dies, I will not be able to afford to live here. I would have to sell up and move to a smaller place which is fine, although not an ideal time to move. But to add to my worries, my husband has just told me his life insurance ends in four years, and he won’t be renewing it as he simply can’t afford it. I wish we could move into a smaller place now, but there are five houses for sale on our estate and three of them have been up for sale for over two years plus my husband doesn't want to move. I hope to persuade him to take out another life insurance policy, but he tells me it’s impossible as they all charge the earth and anyway he will only be able to insure himself for a very small amount like £1000, so it’s all pointless. I’m at a loss to know what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on decent inexpensive life cover that maybe I could take out? It’s awful to hope he dies in the next four years or better yet I do, but that is what it’s coming down to.