Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suggestions for one year old boy birthday present

(15 Posts)
gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 22:36:56

It is a lovely site isn’t it GrandmaKT ? if I were rich I would buy one of those fabulous rocking horses for my little granddaughter .

dragonfly46 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:36:11

Wicked Uncle is a good site for toys.

GrandmaKT Mon 16-Sep-19 22:34:26

That's a good site gillybob. The pull-alongs look adorable!

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 22:13:36

There are some lovely little “pull alongs” on this website. I bought the pull along unicorn (Celeste) for my little granddaughters 1st birthday, it comes off the wheels and she adores it .

www.littlebirdtoldme.co.uk/shop/baby-soft-toys

NotAGran55 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:17:38

If they have suggested a sensory toy why don’t you buy that and include the gift receipt?

The baby is too young to know or care .

Grammaretto Mon 16-Sep-19 18:23:18

Our toddlers had bright backpacks with reins. Picture books. Slippers. Socks. Sorting and hammering toys but I got in trouble for buying a drum!

midgey Mon 16-Sep-19 18:11:25

How about just giving mum the money? The child won’t know any different and it might be Mum knows exactly where to spend it!

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:55:25

Books has been my go to for children's gifts. They tend to get so many toys. Pyjamas, slippers and clothing are usually well received.

annodomini Mon 16-Sep-19 16:26:18

Fisher Price pull-along dog is great fun and doesn't take up a lot of room in the toy box. My advice is not to buy any toys that play tunes. I have horrible memories of opening my GSs' toybox to be greeted by the cacophony of several toys striking up different tunes at the same time.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Sep-19 16:01:38

Always ask the parents for ideas if they give a vague reply ask them to send a link to something they know they would like/need
If you saw the brand new toys books and baby/kids clothes that come into the charity shop you’d never buy without complete guidance again

MamaCaz Mon 16-Sep-19 15:11:25

A little backpack, all of his own?
There are some lovely ones out there.

It might be a few months before he can really use it as intended, but in the meantime, he would probably just enjoy putting his things in it and taking them out again.

shysal Mon 16-Sep-19 14:50:14

Fisher-Price toys are indestructable. Perhaps he would like something like this.
Fisher-Price plane

Joelise Mon 16-Sep-19 14:44:05

If in doubt , buy books !

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:31:56

Look on Mulberrybush.co.uk full of really good traditional toys.

Stoker48 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:20:23

Any inspired thoughts would be very gratefully received.
The birthday boy already has a brother, just one year older and they look pretty well placed for toys and clothes.
The parents suggested something “ sensory” but, as I don’t know them that well, they may already have said gift.
I did think Premium Bond, though I think you have to be close relative to buy. Or maybe dinner set, preferably not plastic.
Spend about £20 ish.
I’m stumped.
Thank you in advance.