Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going cashless

(86 Posts)
Ellpammar19 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:52:39

Like most folk I am using contactless more and more.
I read that ATM are closing down, and they we are heading for a cashless society.

What does this mean for the future? Will the banks have complete control of our money if we cannot draw cash out.
I am beginning to think I should use more cash again, to help prevent this from happening.

think

Fiachna50 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:26:17

I dont like the idea of going totally cashless. Apart from anything else we are targeted enough online as they can track what you buy. I dont completely trust online banking either after the TSB debacle and wont touch mobile banking apps. I dont believe any of this is as safe as its made out to be. If massive companies like Facebook and Twitter get hacked and even the Pentagon, I think online banking is not that safe. I may sound paranoid, but the reason we are losing our bank branches and our ATMs is because we have all been forced into being on these things. For example better interest rates on your bank balance, only if you go online and paperless. To me its blackmail. There is one thing I find contactless handy for and that is bus fare, it does save scrabbling about for change. If we allow ourselves to become cashless, we then cannot complain about loss of privacy and targeted ads. On YouTube have a look at Amazing Polly and do a search about Social Media. You will find some downright scary things on there which at first, I thought was just crazy but watch a few and have a think about what is really happening. Its the same with Smartmeters and Alexas, wouldnt have them. Alexa would only be of use if I ever had mobility problems as I have to admit they are great for people with mobility issues but thats all.

Sara65 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:30:46

My youngest daughter was asked to pay for something by cheque, she has never owned a chequebook. My oldest daughter is very wary, and refuses to use contactless.

Personally I love it, and use it all the time, and very rarely have much more than a fiver on me.

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 20:33:45

Fiachna50
My husband was a computer programmer before he retired and he wouldn't touch online banking with a bargepole because he knows how leaky these things can be. I think you're correct.

BradfordLass72 Wed 18-Sep-19 21:50:25

EllanVannin hairless and cashless? The mind boggles smile but like you I need cash at the moment: collection boxes, the odd small currency purchase and more.

If we really do lose out currency, we'll lost a cultural icon.

rosecarmel Wed 18-Sep-19 22:01:20

In the US, at least some states, cash is required or check for the following:

Auto Licence, plates, registration, titles and violations such as speeding and parking tickets-

Bailing someone out of jail is cash only-

rosecarmel Wed 18-Sep-19 22:06:49

LondonGranny, my husband was in the software industry before he died and felt the same way your husband does- He'd sum it up in 5 words (when not ranting on about it) It Makes Us Financially Vulnerable-

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Sep-19 22:20:23

I fear its coming. The cashless society. I hate all this control by snooping unknown systems. I don't have store cards, won't use Siri or Alexa and don't link my computer/iPad/phone. Too much big brother.

But then, I live in a small market town where the hairdresser and greengrocer don't possess a card machine. I'm not sure that the bakers or butchers do either! We only shop in Sainsburys about three times a year and would confuse them utterly if we had a store card. Toilet rolls, booze and Primula cheese with prawns (can't get that locally) being our main buys. And I'm the one who always messes up the auto payment machine thing. They don't like me.

CanadianGran Wed 18-Sep-19 22:21:32

I find now even at work if someone is selling a raffle ticket for charity, no one has cash, but co-workers e-transfer small amounts of money by phone. I admit it is very convenient.

Certainly we are more vulnerable to hacking and scammers, but when is the last time you have heard of a purse-snatching? Though criminals will always find a way to benefit themselves.

Further to ideas that criminals use cash, it has come to light in Vancouver area that the money-laundering business is booming, with even houses being purchased with cash. The move to electronic financial transactions will at least allow the government to trace nefarious business transactions.

M0nica Wed 18-Sep-19 22:23:14

There are real privacy and intrusion issues if we go enirely cashless. It will be possible for any security system to track you by your spending. Tax authorities will be able to trace every penny you spend and its use to commercial companies for marketing, is invaluable if they get access to it

The Chinese government is already forcing many of their population to go cashless for the explicit reason of controlling anyone who they consider a criminal - and China has a lot of 'political' crimes.

We really will end up living in the world of George Orwell's '1984'

FlexibleFriend Wed 18-Sep-19 22:31:03

I haven't had a cheque book in over a decade but don't use contactless either as I rarely make small purchases. Chip and pin works fine for me. Like others I like to carry a minimum of 20 quid cash no matter how much is in the bank, I've had cards declined in the past for no apparent reason so would feel uncomfortable only carrying one card and no other form of payment

rosecarmel Wed 18-Sep-19 23:07:25

A cashless society will invite more frequent overdrafts of checking and savings accounts- The banking industry is aware of this likelihood and will profit from it-

I also think it will invite people to use their credit cards more frequently, make unnecessary purchases, and rack up unnecessary debt that the banks will profit from by way of interest rates-

Grammaretto Thu 19-Sep-19 08:09:13

Thanks Baggs I didn't realise cheques could be posted.
A cheque as a gift seems somehow much more attractive than cash - at least you can sign it in handwriting.
I'm still puzzled about bank transfers if you don't do on-line banking and don't have a branch rearby?

harrigran Thu 19-Sep-19 09:14:53

What about visiting hairdressers and so on ? My hairdresser comes to my home and I give her cash. My window cleaner is cash in hand too.
We had a a window replaced this week and the glazier asked for cash.
I never go anywhere without a wallet with ready money in it but I have friends and family that turn up to restaurants and other venues without enough to leave a tip.

luluaugust Thu 19-Sep-19 09:21:59

If you don't use a store card and pay in cash at least you can have a little secret life from everyone trying to get your details!

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 09:34:44

I’ve banked on line with Nat West for 20 years without even one problem. Ever.

Bet the tax man will be delighted to have a cashless society - no more getting that plumber/gardener/decorator in for ‘cash-in hand’. I bet the black economy is huge.

henetha Thu 19-Sep-19 09:43:47

I think we should keep both. I use cards a lot but would hate not having any cash. What if I just want to buy a newspaper, or an ice-cream? Or pay for car-parking, - not all car park machines take cards. Or tip the waiter in a restaurant... etc..
And sometimes I give my grandchildren cash for their birthdays.
And there are still a lot of people, surely, who don't use cards at all. So if we do go cashless, it should be well into the future. We are not ready yet.

JackyB Thu 19-Sep-19 09:55:47

No chance here in Germany. Plastic cards are still regarded with scepticism.

However, cheques have been obsolete for quite some time now whereas transfers from bank account to bank account have always been the norm.

As I mentioned on one of the threads when the GN site crashed a couple of days ago and strangely several others crashed simultaneously we are risking a lot by relying so much on the Internet.

I usually have €200 - €300 in my purse. Never let it get below €50.

JMitch Thu 19-Sep-19 10:19:54

For those who have concerns about people knowing our shopping habits I have to say - t’was ever thus!! Growing up my mother had accounts in the grocer, the butcher and the greengrocer, she would give them her order and it was either delivered or we would collect. The milkman knew precisely how many people were in the house at any given moment in time, and the coal merchant also knew how busy the home was. Either way, the shopkeepers and merchants knew exactly what we bought each week, what we spent and even knew when we were away - so how is that different to now?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:24:16

I always have cash in my purse but use debit card quite a bit not contactless though. Haven’t written a cheque for around 10 years

Bijou Thu 19-Sep-19 10:40:36

I use my debit card in the supermarkets, cash for small purchases. But my home help, widow cleaner, and gardener prefer cash. For on line purchases I use credit card. If they are over £100 and faulty the card company can help.
I give my grandchildren and great-grandchildren money for birthdays and Christmas so use cheques for this.

Elderlyfirsttimegran Thu 19-Sep-19 10:43:37

LondonGranny’s policeman friend, I think the NHS has enough on its plate without kindly dispensing harmful substances before trying to put right the damage these substances have done! I don’t want my taxes spent on this.

Saggi Thu 19-Sep-19 10:43:39

Mama Caz ...your argument hit the nail on the head....there’s a lot of monetary abuse out there...I’ve been a victim myself ...I found courage ...and now I’m no-ones victim! But it’s so easy to fall into ‘him’ controlling even your money ...and so very difficult to extricate yourself . Without cash it would be impossible !

Ellpammar19 Thu 19-Sep-19 10:45:39

My main concern is that we could be controlled by the bank.
Choosing when and how we can get our funds. What happens if they collapse? What if there are problems online and we need money by a given time?

We could lose all control of our money. It’s good to feel independence and freedom that comes with being in control

BusterTank Thu 19-Sep-19 10:46:07

It's okay until there's a cyber virus . Then there will be hell to play . No will be able access there money or be able to pay for things . This looks more likely this will happen at some time . Rather than country's going to war they can bring the country to its knee through the internet .

Elderlyfirsttimegran Thu 19-Sep-19 10:46:37

I accept JMitch’s point but in those days it was very local. Nowadays the spy in the sky sees everything we look at and buy online, that’s the difference.