Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going cashless

(86 Posts)
Ellpammar19 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:52:39

Like most folk I am using contactless more and more.
I read that ATM are closing down, and they we are heading for a cashless society.

What does this mean for the future? Will the banks have complete control of our money if we cannot draw cash out.
I am beginning to think I should use more cash again, to help prevent this from happening.

think

Missiseff Thu 19-Sep-19 21:33:26

I hardly ever have cash in my purse and I never feel destitute! I usually have to scrape three pounds together to be able to buy a programme when I go to football to pay the seller. It usually means sending hubby out to the cash machine for a tenner, then he buys himself a chocolate bar to break into it so's he can give me the £3. Other than that, I pay by card for everything.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 20-Sep-19 00:24:15

I have POA for my daughter and run her financial affairs with NatWest, all online and love it. We can do internet shopping for goods and groceries easily even though we live 52 miles apart. My daughter cannot count money so contactless is great for her when she is out and about.

As for me, online banking with Metro, no cheque book and carry very little cash, I just use my card. I do try to keep some cash for a paper or raffle ticket but today I went to buy a paper and only had 50p in my purse, so I used my card. Actually it was fortunate for the young girl in front of me trying to buy a few sweets after school and didn't quite have enough money, so I told the assistant to put it only card and told her it was an early christmas present and to make sure she cleaned her teeth.

I amp typing this without my googles again as I can't find them so please excuse any mistakes.

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Sep-19 07:17:16

The point of my post, four posts up, was to indicate that it is now much easier and cheaper for individuals to accept cards.
It is not difficult for cleaners, gardeners to do without cash. If they want to!

MamaCaz Fri 20-Sep-19 07:31:38

It will be a sad day when children can no longer have a bit of pocket money - a few coins of their own, clutched in their hand or jingling in their pocket as they browse the shelves, eventually choose a comic and some sweets, then proudly count their money out onto the counter. A very sad day, imo.
For my sons, that simple act of 'independence' was the highlight of their week, one that they still look back on with fond memories, and definitely a great start in money management.

travelsafar Fri 20-Sep-19 08:09:50

I still draw out from inside the bank my 'housekeeping' money every week. I use this to pay for shopping and other bits like bowls fees, and other group activities. I also once a month put cash in envelopes for xmas, birthdays,holidays, hairdresser, petrol, and car insurance. I like to know i have these things covered. All other bills are paid by D/D. I also have a secret stash of money in case of emergencies, So i guess I'm a user of cash rather than cashless.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 20-Sep-19 08:45:35

I pay the window cleaner online, that is how he likes it, the taxi driver and the milk man all online. I looked into having a cleaner, a one person business, and she wanted paying online. Even the WI is paid online. We can still have both cash and card.

Evie64 Sat 21-Sep-19 00:01:40

I do use contactless a lot, but it always feels too easy, almost like your not really spending your money? I always like to have some cash in my purse "just in case". Visited friends in London recently and couldn't believe that you no longer have to buy train or tube tickets as you just tap your card as you enter the station and tap at the end of your journey! Amazing, but a bit scary! I think that's the way it's going now. No cash, no cheques, all online. I have to say, I think one of the main reasons the youngsters today can't handle their money and seem to live on permanent credit is not just because of the "I want it, and I want it now" generation, but also because they were never given a small brown envelope with their weeks' wages in cash. I had to split that cash into rent, electricity, gas, fares to work, food and anything over was for going out at the weekend! They don't know what they missed do they? But, progress eh?

Frank197 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:17:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Sat 24-Jun-23 20:19:12

Reported!!!!
I have asked GNHQ if there’s anyway to stop these posts appearing on multiple forums.

welbeck Sat 24-Jun-23 20:25:23

you're being kept busy today, Georges.
good work.