Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

eyebrows

(87 Posts)
SalsaQueen Wed 25-Sep-19 20:31:25

After plucking them in the 70s, my eyebrows haven't grown, and now that I'm 60, they are even thinner than ever. I'm sick of having to draw them on every day, trying to get them to look even and a decent shape.

I'm thinking of having them tattooed on - has anyone had it done? Would you recommend it?

TerriBull Thu 26-Sep-19 09:54:09

Eyebrow products are the new mascara! I bet women spend more on these now than eyelash enhancers, I know I do, sadly eyelashes seem to get sparser as we get older.

I agree shysal, about the symmetry of eyebrows, one of mine arches more than the other, but oh to have perfect arched eyebrows, I do suffer from eyebrow envy these dayssad and whilst the brow would have been much ignored in my makeup routine once upon a time, it's now the most important part. Never go out without having done my eyebrows these days.

RosesAreRed21 Thu 26-Sep-19 10:03:06

Did the same as yours and eventually had nothing much there at all, and hate the pencilled in look. I had mine microbladed a couple of years ago, and had it touched up this year, and must say I absolutely love it, such a difference and looks so natural.

Rosina Thu 26-Sep-19 10:12:48

Looking at old photos I had really good, nicely shaped eyebrows. In a fit of insanity I reduced them to a thin line - in the seventies, like everyone else on here - and have pencilled them in for years. I now have them dyed monthly, but am considering microblading. My local lady told me that you have the treatment, they then fade slightly over a couple of weeks, you have a further treatment which should last for up to eighteen months. Might well be more economical than having them dyed so reguarly.
And WHY do hairs on your chin keep reappearing in spite of the most vicious plucking for decades??

Nannyannie51 Thu 26-Sep-19 10:32:30

I had my eyebrows microbladed last year and was very pleased with result. Its not for the faint hearted but worth it. I'm going back for a retouch next week where the color has faded slightly. I will take pain killers before I go and they do apply numbing cream

mazgoli Thu 26-Sep-19 10:34:46

I've had mine microbladed and I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I used to try to draw mine on but when I took my specs off in order to do it, I couldn't see what I was doing! My daughter recommended the lady I went to, and she's brilliant. We're in Nottingham, don't have any idea where you are SalsaQueen.

catd Thu 26-Sep-19 10:40:24

I had mine tattooed three years ago and am still delighted with them. Fortunately the therapist that did them was a friend of my daughter. She has won awards for her permanent make up work. She follows the natural shape of your eyebrow bone. Just make sure you do good research. That you see photos of her work and have a patch test. The therapist should pencil in the shape until you are happy with the choice. She should also discuss colour with you. I didn't find it painful, just a bit tingly. They do put on anaesthetic gell
before starting. The only thing that may shock you is that for a about a week the finished brows
are very prominent but with the correct after care this flakes of and voila eyebrows. I never have to bother with them at all.

chattykathy Thu 26-Sep-19 10:42:03

I had mine done over 3 years ago and love them. Mine were very sparse and pale through a combination of over plucking when young and an underactive thyroid. Make sure you go to a reputable beauty therapist and ask to see photos of their work. I had a natural 'hair stroke' done in a colour that complemented my skin tone. Most people don't realise they're not real. I'd say go for it but do your homework.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 26-Sep-19 10:43:20

I have underactive thyroid and my brows have thinned so much I’ve been on levothyroxine for 14 years n they haven’t got any thicker, I’m not a lover of tattooed brows I’ve seen some horrendous ones ppl that have had it done and not checked the therapist before going, microblading looks beautiful very natural, I go and have hd brows three times year as trying to get the shape it’s very difficult with sparse brows though have to be patient

nannypiano Thu 26-Sep-19 10:43:36

I lost my eyebrows at age 50 after a thyroidectomy. I have been pencilling them in ever since. After a stroke two years ago I could no longer drawer them in because of loss of hand use. So I used to get other people to do it for me when available. Some of the results were hilarious. My son thought it very amusing to have a go and laughed at the result. He only got one chance to make me a laughing stock though.
A friend in her late 70's had hers tattooed and it looked very unnatural . I obviously couldn't tell her. I was so glad I eventually managed to drawer mine in again myself with practice.

Americanpie Thu 26-Sep-19 10:46:19

I have twice and its a bit painful despite the numbing cream but once settled the "eyebrows" look great. Its also takes a while and two sessions. Anyone who does a rush job is not doing it properly. However these are not like a permanent tatoo and I was warned that, they, "the tiny strokes" would fade and they have. I am now left with a light brown stain which is ok if you don't look closely. Not sure I'd bother again at £200. Might just get makeup.

Bazza Thu 26-Sep-19 11:03:27

I had my eyebrows tattooed some years ago, not because they were particularly sparse, just very very pale. It was a friend of my daughter’s, she did it for free as a demonstratoin in her salon. I have to say not painless but I was delighted with the result. I was a little naive in thinking as a tattoo it would last for ever. It didn’t. I had them touched up a few years later, obviously had to pay for that which was quite expensive. I haven’t had it done since. If you do go for it find someone really good, do research.

jenni123 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:03:47

Mine are tattooed , I had then done abroad many years ago. The hair still grows so every so long I either shave them off or pluck. Just make sure the tattoos draws it on first to make sure you like the shape, thickness etc. I think I mine are too thick and once done you are stuck with it.

notgoneyet Thu 26-Sep-19 11:07:46

Ive had mine done twice; ready for a third time now. First time was about seven years ago.
I have very sparse eyebrows doe to an under active thyroid which I’ve been taking meds for for years.
They give your brows a tiny little scratch in order for numbing cream to better soak in, then leave it for a few minutes. For me, it’s certainly less uncomfortable than going to the dentist! I feel it makes a massive difference.

grannytotwins Thu 26-Sep-19 11:20:23

I thoroughly recommend eyebrow tattoos. Mine aren’t microbladed. They are the powder effect. They last about three years and then I have a top up. They look awful for about a week until the scabs fall off. The important thing is to go to someone very experienced. There’s too many people out there who don’t know what they are doing. Ask on Facebook for recommendations from other women who have had theirs done and have had a good experience. I go to a fabulous place in Canterbury with a really good reputation. Go for it. It’s worth every penny.

nanamac77 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:24:15

Nobody has answered the question- what is microblading?! Or have I scanned too quickly?

Yorkshiregirl Thu 26-Sep-19 11:25:21

No although I was tempted when I lost them during cancer treatment. Watching tv and seeing the disastrous results of some makes me cringe. Beautiful girls who follow the trend and now look hideous.
I would recommend the elf brow pencil, which I think I got from Superdrug. Go for a shade lighter, and use light strokes. Great results

Aepgirl Thu 26-Sep-19 11:28:27

I haven’t but a friend of mine has, and as they fade (which they do) they change colour, which means it’s an ongoing process

Craftycat Thu 26-Sep-19 11:38:16

Micro-bladed.
Yes!! Best thing I have ever done. They look amazing & I no longer have that permanently surprised expression. They look so natural, you would never guess they were not real hair even close up.
It didn't hurt & it took 3 sessions
. Should last about 4years bout a friend had hers done 5years ago & they still look good.
I have noticed my real brows have started to grow back a bit too do maybe it stimulates the folicles
Get a good practioner & ask to see photos of her work.
My girl was lovely & we had a good laugh together too. 4 of my friends have been to her & are also very happy with results.

Cambia Thu 26-Sep-19 11:40:56

Grow a fringe! Hides lines and eyebrows. Double whammy as it is cheap too. My granddaughter says good job you have a fringe gran, it hides all those funny lines!

Craftycat Thu 26-Sep-19 11:41:25

I should add that the girl who did it trained to help scars etc for NHS.
Unfortunately they can no longer afford to do this so she has gone I to private practice. Reigate in Surrey if that is anywhere near you.

Craftycat Thu 26-Sep-19 11:42:19

I never ever plucked either.

Newatthis Thu 26-Sep-19 11:42:50

My daughter has just had hers done and they look fabulous. Make sure you go to a good therapist who perhaps has been recommended to you as I think there is no going back!

Granzi Thu 26-Sep-19 11:48:55

I had mine microbladed about three years ago and although they’ve faded I can still see the nice shape and it’s easy to pencil them in. Microblading is more natural than tattooing which can fade to a wish-washy colour after time. I found microblading very sore though, so if you do get them done, be prepared. Doesn’t put me off having them done again if I need to.

Boolya Thu 26-Sep-19 11:58:18

I have had my brows tattooed for about 30 years now! Necessary as I have no ‘facial furniture’ due to alopecia. Techniques have improved so much over the years. I’m having a top-up next week as it happens, first for 2.5 years. Had eye lids done too but that doesn’t really work for me.

Magrithea Thu 26-Sep-19 12:03:19

My SiL and neices had theirs done and I feel it looks rather fake! Microblading gives a more natural look I believe.

This might help - www.westlakedermatology.com/blog/microblading-vs-eyebrow-tattoo/