Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

my first baby shower!

(16 Posts)
GinJeannie Fri 27-Sep-19 10:54:35

Our first great grandchild is due on Christmas Day! A boy! Now I need to ask fellow Great Grans for ideas for the baby shower, please. Do I buy for Mum and baby separately, or two gifts? Ideas, please! TIA

EllanVannin Fri 27-Sep-19 11:03:32

For mum and baby not forgetting a bottle ( not milk ) for dad to celebrate the day/birth then he won't feel left out.

GinJeannie Fri 27-Sep-19 11:26:24

Oooh thanks for that EllanVannin, hadn't realised it involved a Dad pressie too, ooops!

Cold Fri 27-Sep-19 11:36:57

I have never heard of Dads getting presents at baby showers. He not a toddler. Surely Dads get the the best present of all - a beautiful baby without going through the discomfort and pain of having to grow and deliver it!

glammanana Fri 27-Sep-19 12:33:15

Nice one EV the dad should certainly not be left out he will have plenty of that when all the relatives decend to visit the new baby.
GinJeannie I bought my DGD &DGS a voucher for them to have a meal out after they where settled with baby and my DD would babysit for them and bought a beautiful massage cream for baby from JL baby gift section.

GinJeannie Fri 27-Sep-19 14:40:09

Thanks, girls, lots good ideas coming in! Unfortunately I couldn’t offer to babysit as Wales to Worcestershire a bit too far to travel! Keep ‘em coming though, please x

paddyann Fri 27-Sep-19 14:55:21

I really dont ike this baby shower thing ,as someone who lost babies very late in pregnancy I would hate to have had all the stuff given at them to get rid of ...and I certainlty wouldn't have wanted to keep it.I'm happy to spend time and money on mum and baby AFTER the birth,when baby is safely here .I dont see me changing my mind anytime soon.
My sons partner had a baby shower I made the buffet,that way I was contributing but not on things /Call me old fashioned ...thats fine .

BlueBelle Fri 27-Sep-19 15:01:23

Oh how I dislike this concept why is not the fantastic happening iof a new life enough why do we have to have these silly American showers, (what’s rain got to do with it ?)
What happens if the baby is still born why does it all have to come down to money and presents which the mother probably ends up giving half away I would have thought it’s much nicer to rejoice after the baby has safely arrived and everyone knows what it is and what is needed
Thankfully none of my kids or my friends kids have done this so so far I ve escaped
Anyway each to his own

Nanabilly Fri 27-Sep-19 15:29:12

I've been to a few baby showers now and I will never go to another as they are just silly attention grabbing things .Yet another excuse for someone to be showered in gifts (nothing to do with rain. Lol) and play silly games and eat cupcakes. One of my nieces had 3 for her first baby. One for his family .One for her own family and one for friends.

kittylester Fri 27-Sep-19 16:12:13

I always take a much loved children's book to a baby shower.

Sara65 Fri 27-Sep-19 16:15:54

I’ve thankfully never been to one, just another chance at getting more gifts as far as I can see

Oldandverygrey Fri 27-Sep-19 16:58:12

Time enough to celebrate when the baby has arrived safely.

SueDonim Fri 27-Sep-19 18:36:03

My dd had a low-key shower for her baby, although she really wasn't keen. Her friends were the ones who wanted and planned it all.

It was nice enough, I hosted afternoon tea, at my home. The 'what if' element does hang over you a bit, though maybe that's an old-fashioned, more cautious, attitude that we older women have.

As to gifts, some people gave a full-on present as you might give once the baby arrives while others gave a token gift because they prefer to wait until the baby is here. My dd didn't know if she was having a boy or girl so some wanted to wait for that. Some people gave mother-to-be gifts, nice toiletries or chocolates.

No one gave anything for the father-to-be! In fact, my dd and her mum friends get quite fed up of the modern attitude that men must be treated equally in pregnancy and childbirth. They think that new dads have all of the gain for no pain and don't deserve rewards except for their beautiful baby! gringrin

GinJeannie Fri 27-Sep-19 21:04:43

Interesting comments, and, yes, I do actually agree with the anti Baby Shower comments. It is an unfortunate American idea, along with Prom Balls for school leavers. However, as a potential (step) Great Gran I am flattered to have been invited to go along. I, too, have had two miscarriages and sympathise with sentiments expressed, but for the sake of my DD, step Gran-to-be, will go with the flow. All ideas still welcome!

Chewbacca Fri 27-Sep-19 21:11:04

My DIL had baby showers when expecting GD and then GS. I refused to go to both. Having already bought them the "travel system" otherwise known as a pram, many boxes of nappies, baby wipes, clothes and a myriad of other baby essentials, I felt I'd done enough. And I truly do detest the American importation of themed gift giving events. Enough already!

agnurse Fri 27-Sep-19 21:16:35

My usual go-to things for baby gifts are things I know they'll use. I love the idea of a well-loved children's book - Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, and Dr. Seuss books are some of my favourites for young children. I'd also suggest receiving blankets and babygros.