Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Smart Meters - are they better than they were?

(27 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 11-Oct-19 12:32:14

I am being pestered again by Eon to have a smart meter although I told them 2 years ago to take me off their list.

I have been concerned about hacking, about being stuck with the same supplier, about whether the meter can tell me anything I don't already know.......

Can anyone tell me about the pros and cons please.

Septimia Fri 11-Oct-19 13:49:11

I've been resisting a smart meter, too, partly because the mobile signal here has been very poor (it's improving).

I understand that the new generation of smart meters can be transferred to another supplier but I read that many companies are still installing the old ones (I wonder why???).

Nonnie Fri 11-Oct-19 13:52:11

I also think they can be transferred to a different supplier. I don't understand why we all have to pay for them. Does anyone look at them after the first week? Surely you know when you are using power?

nanaK54 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:44:01

We have a letter at least once a month, still resisting, I know when I'm using power thank you grin

cornergran Fri 11-Oct-19 14:48:04

I’ve told EoN that I haven't refused a smart meter but will not accept one until they can guarantee it’s a second generation meter. So far it’s worked! Suspect that’s because I’m down as waiting a meter rather than not having one.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:53:15

I agreed to a smart meter, mainly because I could no longer read my meters outside as I have macular degeneration.

Mine is the second generation so if I move from Octopus this one can come with me.

I think the outside meters are read annually to make sure that the smart meters are working okay.

There were a couple of teething problems but once they were ironed out I am more than happy with mine. I have had mine for around 6 months.

trisher Fri 11-Oct-19 14:57:57

I've had my smartmeter a couple of years and shifted suppliers twice. No bother at all. I love it. No longer any need to get down on my knees after emptying the cupboard under the stairs and try to see what the hell my gas meter says!

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 15:01:45

I've been offered a free second generation smart meter.

I've just ignored it so far, but I suppose I need to decide.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Oct-19 15:03:42

What about the hacking concerns? What about the health/radiation concerns?

BlueBelle Fri 11-Oct-19 15:26:56

I ve resisted I don’t want a smart meter just because the government have said I should have one is not enough reason
I know what I use I cannot see what value it would add to my life apart from taking manual readings I can not for the lif3 of me see what disadvantage I m experiencing
The only thing you love trisher is that you had things in front of it in the hall cupboard making it hard to read
Mine is also in the hall cupboard and I keep the area in front of it clear If you can’t get down to it you hold your mobile phone in front up it and click a photo ....simple

quizqueen Fri 11-Oct-19 15:35:17

I really can't see the point of them, other than to give the companies an excuse to sack meter readers and spy on a household's energy use! I use energy whenever I feel like it, and watching a meter dial or whatever go round would be scary, but I still wouldn't want to be cold/hungry/dirty etc. I also don't have or want any other 'smart technology' in the house to connect up to it. The only smart thing is my home is me.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Oct-19 16:02:57

We have solar panels, I understand smart meters are not compatible with them? Anyone know if this is correct?

kittylester Fri 11-Oct-19 16:06:51

I worry about them from a different point of view! I think those of us who dont need to worry too much about the cost of gas and electricity will ignore them but I have seen people get quite neurotic about seeing the costs mount up.

GrandmaMoira Fri 11-Oct-19 16:11:11

I asked for a smart meter as I couldn't read my meters in the cellar - they were both inaccesible and the gas one was very complicated so had estimated bills and it was good to have the display in the kitchen showing exactly how much fuel was being used. The only problem was that the gas one rarely worked as GPS is poor in a cellar.
I'd like to get smart meters again now I've moved but they are not on offer here. I don't understand why people are against them.

Floradora9 Fri 11-Oct-19 16:12:36

We have been told that they might fit an old one not the most up to date one so unless it is the latest we refuse to have one.

Scribbles Fri 11-Oct-19 16:30:25

How would your smart meter get hacked? It's not connected to your broadband or Wi-Fi. Try this link for reassurance: www.telegraph.co.uk/property/smart-living/what-do-you-know-about-smart-meters/

Ours was installed by E-on about 3 years ago at a time when we were away from home a lot and, inevitably, I'd get the request to read the meters the day after we'd left. So I happily agreed to the smart meter. No more wildly inaccurate estimated bills; no more crouching in an awkward position to peer into a dark cupboard and read the meters; what's not to like? OH is fascinated by it and does look at it at least daily to see how much fuel we're using. I ignore it except when the little red light shows because someone is using the power shower or the oven's on. Then I grit my teeth and mutter because it feels as if I'm being nagged!

Overall, I'm pleased we got it.

Davida1968 Fri 11-Oct-19 16:36:07

I am watching this thread with interest because DH wants a Smart meter and I'm not keen. Reading the views of GNs who have them installed (or not!) is helpful.

fizzers Fri 11-Oct-19 17:18:17

After I was harrassed via phone almost week in and week out regarding installation of a smart meter, eg 'We are coming next Tuesday to fit your smart meter' I point blank refused

Greyduster Fri 11-Oct-19 17:21:13

I have just had an email from Scottish Power about their second generation smart meter. Still don’t want one! Our meters are outside and perfectly accessible. I can’t see what it will tell us that we don’t know already. I have enough things to get neurotic about without a smart meter.

trisher Fri 11-Oct-19 17:21:57

quizqueen as you don't know what my cupboard is like I suggest you keep your suggestions to yourself. You could (and I have) take a photo but you still need to get to the rear of the cupboard and crouch down

MamaCaz Fri 11-Oct-19 17:40:47

My mum had smart meters fitted a year ago so she wouldn't have to take monthly readings, which she was finding increasingly difficult - she couldn't have taken a photo, as someone suggested, because at least one of the two meters had a display that used to oscillate between different types of info, and she didn't have time to focus before it changed again.

She was happy with the smart meters, but soon put the in-house display in a drawer as it gave the (misleading) impression that she was using far more energy than she had previously.
I was keeping an eye on her account and - once I realized that the gas 'units' had changed from cubic feet to cubic meters - could see that her usage hadn't increased, though she hard to convince!

When I changed her supplier this June, those meters no longer worked, but her new supplier was happy to replace them, and the new ones are second generation, so should hopefully continue to work whenI have to change her supplier again.
I haven't asked her if the new in-house display is in a drawer yet, but suspect it might be. grin

Calendargirl Fri 11-Oct-19 17:55:57

trisher

Think it was Bluebelle, not quizqueen, who talked about the cupboard!

Chestnut Fri 11-Oct-19 18:10:01

I'm with Octopus and they haven't asked me to have a smart meter. I usually like to be the last to have such things, which guarantees that any problems have long since been ironed out! When I have difficulty reading the meters then I'll be happy to consider a smart meter.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:10:47

Chestnut I am also with Octopus and I approached them to have one. They did not/would not do it for at least 6 months because they wanted to fit the second generation, and did not want to dump an old one on me. I love mine and if I buy a new appliance I can get an idea of how much gas or electricity it uses. Mine is plugged in my kitchen- it is small and unobtrusive. I can still read it even with my failing eyesight.

trisher Fri 11-Oct-19 20:02:48

Apologies to quizqueen thanks for pointing it out Calendargirl it was BlueBelle