Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Boxing Day Tea

(36 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sat 19-Oct-19 03:14:12

My husband and I usually spend Christmas Day and Boxing Day with my daughter and her family, plus her mother-in-law, taking it in turns as to who does Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

This year, we have booked a restaurant for Christmas Day (first time ever). That left Boxing Day, which somehow fell to me. Not wanting to do a full-blown dinner, I had planned to do a 'Christmas Tea'.

No! That doesn't suit daughter, who wanted me to do chips and chicken nuggets for the kids. (Not my idea of Boxing Day!)

So I've given in, and now said that I will do a 'Christmas Dinner' (which the children will eat).

To be fair, Mother-in-law has offered to cook a turkey crown. Daughter will bring a desert for the children (they won't eat Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies.). Which leaves me just doing the veg.

But I still feel a bit resentful. Am I being unfair? (Reading this, I think perhaps I am!)

Auntieflo Sat 19-Oct-19 09:14:51

From reading this, and looking at the time you posted, it sounds as though this has very much been on your mind.
It sounds as though this Christmas, was to be a treat for you and DH, and to have to cater for more that a tea on Boxing Day, is not what you wanted
If your DD wants nuggets and chips for the children, can she not cook them at your house?
I don't think you are being unreasonable, but that's just me.

Pittcity Sat 19-Oct-19 09:16:52

I think that if it is your responsibility then it should be your menu.....

Our usual boxing day fare is sandwiches, salads and curry made from leftovers. You won't have any. I would go for something completely different like fish as too much turkey can get boring.

But it seems that the decision has been made for you and you will just have to make the best of it and enjoy the time with your family.

MawB Sat 19-Oct-19 09:18:39

Stick to your guns!
Who needs 2 Christmas Dinners in as many days?

MawB Sat 19-Oct-19 09:20:53

I usually love Boxing Day as the pressure is off!
A ham, cold turkey, a raised turkey and cranberry pie courtesy of Mr Waitrose, assorted winter salads and gratin dauphinoise is usually the sort of thing we have - all laid out buffet style.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:22:45

MawB. Exactly the same in our family.

Nortsat46 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:23:06

Lyndiloo, it's a happy conundrum to face.
How nice that your GC will eat and enjoy your Christmas food.
Perhaps you should scale it back a bit, so that it's less work for you. I am sure you have thought of this but I do anything possible in advance, including making stuffing, cooking the Turkey and making the gravy. That leaves mostly vegetables on the day and presumably you can get away with just a couple of different vegetables and roast potatoes.

Desert is already sorted so just a few crackers and a glass of fizz ... sounds pretty good to me. Hope you all have a lovely day. ??

Eglantine21 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:27:03

Chicken nuggets and oven chips for the kids. Cold turkey crown, jacket potatoes and salad. Ice cream with assorted stuff like sauce, meringue, sprinkles to make your own sundae.

That’s what I would do anyway.

ninathenana Sat 19-Oct-19 09:27:13

Is it all of you going to the restaurant or just you and DH ? If just the two of you I'm wondering what DD is eating Christmas day. Why would anyone want a full Christmas roast two days running or is she not bothering and waiting for you to cook the roast.
I think she's being cheeky to ask.

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Oct-19 09:38:29

MawB, the same here too.
We usually have the full English for breakfast, then mid afternoon I will lay out a big buffet of cold turkey, a home cooked ham, a pork and egg pie, baked potatoes, salads, sausage rolls, pizza and chips for the DGDs. Followed by cheese and biscuits, mince pies, Christmas cake and DD's famous chocolate log. People can help themselves whenever they want. If anyone is hungry in the evening they can make themselves a sandwich.

annsixty Sat 19-Oct-19 09:46:57

Always cold turkey, ham which we never had on C day, lots of salads and jacket potatoes on Boxing day.
Usually followed by trifle which no-one could manage the day before.
We have always eaten in the evening on C Day so no tea was ever prepared.
Just snacks about 11pm if anyone was still up and hungry.

annsixty Sat 19-Oct-19 09:48:18

Sorry meant to say, your house, your decision and choices.

annsixty Sat 19-Oct-19 09:56:05

Just remembered, one year when my H was starting his illness, we went to D's for a few days, in Boxing day we had cold turkey and bubble and squeak with everything thrown in, sprouts and chestnuts, roast potatoes, stuffing, it was absolutely delicious.
I can't imagine going out for lunch and not having those leftovers to use up and a carcass to make wonderful soup.

Calendargirl Sat 19-Oct-19 10:34:35

Just DH and me on Boxing Day. Cold turkey, home made chips, cold sausage meat stuffing, bits of left over salad and bacon rolls, mayonnaise, then hotted up Christmas pudding and custard. Lovely.

Enjoy it far more than the actual Christmas dinner.

Fiachna50 Sat 19-Oct-19 11:23:48

They would eat whatever was served to them. Sorry, unless there were food allergies involved I wouldn't be pandering to them. Surely going out on Christmas Day means no one has to do all that prep and cooking? Tell them you will be doing a cold buffet and they can serve themselves. S** that!

Daisymae Sat 19-Oct-19 12:50:59

Yes, guess that you are being a tad unreasonable, as everyone is chipping in. Get prepared veg, ready made trimmings and it's job done. Relax and enjoy a great time with the family. Many would envy you!

Sara65 Sat 19-Oct-19 13:16:57

Well, we always have a full house on Boxing Day, as we don’t have anyone here for Christmas Day, husband in charge of food, sometimes he makes an enormous Boxing Day pie, sometimes a traditional Christmas dinner, last year a big chicken and leek pie, lovely cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, this year he’s opted for lasagna.

We don’t do requests.

Summerlove Sat 19-Oct-19 13:26:44

Why doesn’t your DD host if that’s what she wants?

MissAdventure Sat 19-Oct-19 13:30:04

You may as well cancel the idea of Christmas dinner out if you're going to be doing the whole thing on boxing day.
Ridiculous, I think, to run the food around what the children want.

Summerlove Sat 19-Oct-19 13:30:55

Relax and enjoy a great time with the family. Many would envy you!

OP, don’t be made to feel guilty because of things like this. It might be true, but you don’t live life for others.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Oct-19 13:46:15

Cold meats, and pickle for me with my home-made potato salad and home-made salad cream.
Happy as Larry, with plenty of leftovers for callers. I don't now put pressure on myself.
It's a help yourself affair on Boxing Day. Our kids will eat anything.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 19-Oct-19 13:57:42

I have always enjoyed Boxing Day which is my eldest childs birthday. I was in labour through out Xmas day so this may be the reason ?

Greyduster Sat 19-Oct-19 14:25:15

We usually have a Boxing Day buffet which includes whatever is left over from Christmas Day, plus a pork roast for hot sandwiches and a curry (well there are usually a lot of us!). One year I left out the curry and there were significant mumblings! This year we are away for the holiday, self catering. We will go out for Christmas lunch but I don’t think much thought has been given to what we will eat the rest of the time, so we will have to address the issue soon!

whywhywhy Sat 19-Oct-19 14:58:02

It's always difficult when members of the family are involved. I used to always do a buffet (cold) on Boxing Day for my daughter and her husband. It was manic!! She was so argumentative as she has spent Christmas day with his family and it wasn't to her liking so she took it out on me. I stopped it and said to hell with it. Now we have cold meat and chips with my husband and my youngest son, peace all around. Its up to you as its your boxing day as well!!!

MamaCaz Sat 19-Oct-19 18:03:24

OP, I don't think you are being unfair - Boxing Day was allocated to you, so imo, you are not being unreasonable in expecting to choose the menu.

However, as the others have hugely simplified your task by offering to supply meat and desserts, I would go with the flow (while secretly breathing a huge sigh of relief at the reduced workload), and if I could get away with it, I would just do salad and oven chips rather than 'proper' veg!