Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren becoming independent

(62 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Thu 24-Oct-19 15:33:24

Gs aged 16 has said he does not want to go on family visit to daughter's in-laws over half term. He is perfectly capable of looking after himself and there will be an aged adult resident in the house (no parties) I think he should be allowed to stay at home, daughter says not old enough. No argument, her son, her decision, just wondered what grans here thought.

icanhandthemback Sun 27-Oct-19 11:10:36

Although he is old enough to be left, I can't help thinking that young people don't learn about keeping in touch with their family and friends unless they are taught to do so. I'd congratulate your daughter on being a Mum rather than a friend. It would be so much easier to allow a potentially sulky teenager to duck out in order to maker her own life easier!

whywhywhy Sat 26-Oct-19 21:08:10

Yes he's old enough but it's up to his mam. X

Eva2 Sat 26-Oct-19 18:26:57

As she said, her son, her decision.

Hetty58 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:49:39

Of course, it's all up to Flutterby's daughter (unless advice is asked for) but I really wouldn't like family visitors to come here out of duty (or because they'd been made to come)!

Norah Sat 26-Oct-19 16:44:17

Parents choice.

FC61 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:33:19

Maybe it’s more about her wanting him to come with her to visit her family than about him being left at home? In which case I wouldn’t say anything.

Sb74 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:17:54

Op I wouldn’t question the mum as to why as it’s not your decision. Even if the mum is being a bit clingy that’s up to her. It might be their last break together for a while as he will be an adult soon. Let her chose that if she wants. I will be encouraging mine to at 16.

Sb74 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:03:50

@wildswan16. The GS is not old enough to vote? He’s 16. Not old enough to marry either without parents permission? It depends how mature he is really. It’s the parents decision.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:08:11

If you are in the UK, he can legally leave home without his parents' consent at 16, so it seems a little odd to boggle at him staying alone at home for a few days!

Anthea1948 Sat 26-Oct-19 13:08:19

I think it depends on your Gs and how mature he is. I know some 16 year olds that could easily be safely left alone and some even older that you wouldn't leave alone in a million years!
Legally he could be left but I guess his mum knows him best, and it might spoil the weekend for her if he's left as she'd be constantly worrying about him.
However, they probably all have mobile phones; she can check on him regularly and he can call her if he needs to.
If he goes, would the aged person then be left on their own?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 12:52:23

I agree, notanan

notanan2 Sat 26-Oct-19 12:51:34

It does depend on how mature the kid is, but 16 seems plenty old enough to me

I feel that if they were mature, they would appreciate that visiting family can be boring at times, but is still important and isnt all about you!

Fernbergien Sat 26-Oct-19 12:34:21

We were able to leave our teen age boys ok. But the point of this’s post was the younger one was in charge as he was so sensible.He still is and is the executor of our wills.

narrowboatnan Sat 26-Oct-19 12:31:47

We left our son home alone when he was 16. He had his best friend’s mum to keep an eye on him and he was fine. He says he enjoyed the freedom but found it odd coming home to an empty house. Told him to leave the radio on when he went out.

Left our daughter home alone ‘I’ll be fine, mum!’ ‘You worry too much, mum!’ ‘You must trust me, mum!’ When she was also 16. She was straight round the boyfriend’s for long bonking sessions! Little madam!

missdeke Sat 26-Oct-19 12:19:25

We left my 15 year old son for 2 weeks whilst we took the other 3 camping. He had 3 dogs and 2 cats to look after plus various rabbits, guinea pigs etc. We arrived home 2 days early (we were camping and it kept raining) and the house was quiet, clean and tidy. Neighbours confirmed there were no parties or noise. All animals were fine. If you don't give them the opportunity to show you can trust them then how will you ever know you can.

jaylucy Sat 26-Oct-19 11:34:37

I was allowed to stay at home alone from when I was about 13 - it was only when my parents and younger siblings went to visit relatives so only for a couple of hours.
The first time the rest o my family went on holiday without me was when I was 17. I had just started work and had booked to go on holiday with a friend later on outside school holidays.
As long as he has someone he can contact that lives nearby,in an emergency, I can't see the problem.

4allweknow Sat 26-Oct-19 11:28:51

He's 16, he can basically do what he wants. Why is there such concern when there will be an older person in sutu? Is there something you are perhaps not aware of? Don't blame him for wanting to stay at home, visiting relatives at that age can be a real bore.

Hm999 Sat 26-Oct-19 11:02:59

It does depend on how mature the kid is, but 16 seems plenty old enough to me

Quizzer Sat 26-Oct-19 10:59:45

Depends on the son. Our eldest would have been quite safe at 16. Our second son wasn't responsible enough until he was about 25! shock

Saggi Sat 26-Oct-19 10:55:47

Left my daughter (17 ) and son (14) and went on holiday on our own for a week. They were trained well. I know they did have a party.... which my friends older son popped in to supervise! Told them I was phoning school every day to make sure they were there ( which they were) and after two days the school told us our kids were there, clean, tidy, with clean clothes and polished shoes! So not to bother ringing school again as our kids were quite responsible. I felt proud of them..... and they never came on holiday with us again.It depends on the individual child I’m afraid and a parent usually knows best about their child.

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Oct-19 10:35:47

Just thinking how times have changed since we were that age. I would not have dared to say to my parents that I wasn't going with them somewhere; it was expected that you obeyed them. If DM said jump, it was a case of "how high". We didn't dare refuse.

In fact I think I was at least 18 and at college that I told them I would not be attending chapel with them on Sundays. Somehow, the sky didn't fall in.

Aepgirl Sat 26-Oct-19 10:30:34

16-years old is a young man, not a child, and should be allowed to prove he’s capable of being left on his own.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:24:39

Rilla - true!
However, if he is still dependent on his parents and not living elsewhere independently, I think his parents should have a say about whether he should stay in their house without them and it would be courteous and kind to visit his grandparents occasionally, something which should be encouraged.

Shazmo24 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:23:54

Old enough to be left especially as a over 18 in house too...shows trust in him too

RillaofIngleside Sat 26-Oct-19 10:20:13

Old enough to get married, old enough to get a job. Old enough to have children. Should be old enough to be left alone!