Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

When I'm gone...

(77 Posts)
Middleagedatheart Thu 24-Oct-19 16:39:02

How do you want to be remembered after you're gone?

52bright Thu 31-Oct-19 17:42:34

Most of life is froth and bubble
two things stand like stone
kindness in another's trouble
courage in your own.

I don't know how I will be remembered but this is how I will remember my lovely 88 year old mother when she eventually goes. She is also great fun smile and hopefully, like Gonegirl, she ain't going nowhere yet grin

moggie57 Thu 31-Oct-19 17:12:24

For my charity shop work.

GagaJo Thu 31-Oct-19 07:29:14

I'm 54 and still have very loving memories of my granny, who died when I was 11. That all encompassing, unconditional love. I hope my grandson remembers me for that. Because that is exactly how I love him.

I hope my students remember how much I cared. Some do, I know, and that is a source of great satisfaction to me.

morethan2 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:16:32

This thread has made me remember my two grandmothers. One was so sweet, kind and lovely. A practicing Christian who’s vicar sang her praises at her funeral. The other drank like a fish, loved bingo and the betting shop. She behaved outrageously at most family events. Now when the family are together reminiscing it’s the naughty outrageous one we talk about. We spend hours laughing at her antics. Our lovely one hardly gets a mention. A few years ago I pointed this out to my siblings and cousins and it made us all feel a bit guilty and sad. On that note I think I’ll start drinking more gin and practice standing on a wall whistling Dixie.

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Oct-19 20:29:05

DGS1 had to write about World Changers. He chose the Queen (she is strong), Pink (she is famus and kind), Coldplay Man (he rites the best songs) and Nanna Maggie (she is god gud). I’ll take that. grin

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 19:57:53

I think mine will just remember me as being a bit unusual

123kitty Wed 30-Oct-19 19:56:02

According to my grandchildren - Granny's such fun. What a lovely way to be remembered (eventually).

seadragon Mon 28-Oct-19 12:45:06

My mum and her mum had a saying for every occasion, many of which have sustained me in adversity with a laugh or by their wisdom. I hope to do the same...perhaps by also writing a book illustrating their sayings...

Rufus2 Sat 26-Oct-19 01:50:33

When everyone is looking through all the I.O.U.s I'm leaving behind! grin

M0nica Fri 25-Oct-19 21:58:40

I dont give a d**n. I won't be here to know about it. As long as while I live I think it will be fondly, what happens after my death is of no interest to me.

Mamo Fri 25-Oct-19 21:56:12

When I was a stroppy teenager, my dad used to say, half in exasperation and half in pride “Mamo, you have a strong sense of justice” - I’d quite like to be remembered for that actually

NotAGran55 Fri 25-Oct-19 19:33:59

For being kind and caring.

Keeper1 Fri 25-Oct-19 19:29:32

Like you NfkDumpling I will be happy to be thought of at all

dahlia Fri 25-Oct-19 19:29:14

I would just love someone to remember me by saying "Eileen always loved sweet peas" or, "do you remember Eileen"s shortbread" - some sweet association and hopefully a lovely memory. Every spring we say "Mum loved forget-me-nots", and I plant wallflowers for my father-in-law, now R.I.P., who loved them. While we remember people in this way, they have never really left us.

NfkDumpling Fri 25-Oct-19 19:11:42

I’d just like to be remembered.

Theoddbird Fri 25-Oct-19 19:09:31

Hopefully for not following the same road as others. Maybe for my quirky nature...

SueDoku Fri 25-Oct-19 18:53:52

With love...

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 18:36:15

But I ain't going nowhere yet! hmm

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 18:35:13

My DGS2 will undoubtedly remember Granny's purse more than actual Granny. And that's ok with me. He's quite funny about it.

The other one will, hopefully, remember me dancing to his Beatles tracks. He said I was good. shock

Rosina Fri 25-Oct-19 18:27:54

I Love Hilaire Belloc's poem that contains the wonderful advice:
'From quiet homes and first beginning
Out to the undiscovered ends
There's nothing worth the wear of winning
But laughter, and the love of friends'.

That sums up my Father's life - he had nothing in the world's terms, but so much affection from those who knew him. I would like to hope for that.

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 18:08:07

When my mother died, we asked our five year old DGD what she remembered best about GG.

Her reply? 'She could do the Charleston' grin

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 17:22:09

Not you Summerstorm. That is really lovely.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 17:21:32

You're all singing your own praises on this thread.

Very odd.

Summerstorm Fri 25-Oct-19 16:52:19

My 11 year old granddaughter recently did a school project on who inspired them. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear her presentation was on me. It was wonderful. I had just had a second op for cancer when she showed it to me I couldn’t have wished to be remembered any other way

purplepatch Fri 25-Oct-19 16:51:59

A good enough mum who would walk over hot coals for her girls.