Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Best before dates on pouch items

(27 Posts)
Stoker48 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:09:45

Hi everyone
Just come across a load of J O
pouches in my cupboard. Lovely Lentils, Sweet Chilli Spelt etc
Must have been on special offer as I’ve bought loads then forgotten about them.
I’ll chuck any prior to 2019. My question is, has any one ever eaten such things 10 months after the best before date?
I’m ok with tinned items but never attempted an old one of these.
With thanks

PamelaJ1 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:08:45

As has been said, open it, smell it and taste a bit.
Having said that I and my family have extremely robust health,

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:24:24

There is probably nothing at all wrong with the food, as "best before" means precisely that. If you are in doubt when you open the packet and see the contents throw it out.

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:19:53

Exactly travelsafar we wouldn't really have had much in the food cupboard for weeks or months.So its difficult to compare.

mrsmopp Wed 06-Nov-19 08:24:47

What are J O pouches? Never heard of them. I think tins and frozen goods are ok past their dates, unless the tin is bulging...
I usually cook from scratch anyway, so it’s just a case of using a bit of old fashioned common sense.

travelsafar Wed 06-Nov-19 07:55:51

annepl i agree. I remember my mum not having a fridge until i was around 7years old, so every thing was bought fresh daily from the delivery van or local shops or market at the weekend. She didnt have the money to have a large stock of food in the pantry either.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:36:09

As far as I remember when I was young we didn't have much packaged preserved food and we didn't buy so much in advance. We usually bought on a weekly basis and often daily.

grannyticktock Tue 05-Nov-19 20:35:42

With meat products, you can't always tell by the smell, and so it's best to observe the "Use By" dates as they could make you ill. Items past the "Best Before" are not likely to make you sick, but it's useful to know how old things are so you can rotate your stock of tinned and dry goods. Recently I found a tin of black-eyed beans that was well past its BB date, and decided to use it anyway. The beans had a horrid, fusty flavour, and spoiled the whole dish I was using them in. Honey, as someone says above, doesn't go off, although the texture may alter as the sugars crystallise, but honey producers are obliged to invent a Best Before date to go on the label. "Best Ignored", I would say!

petra Tue 05-Nov-19 20:22:08

It is estimated that 15 million tonnes of food is wasted every year across the eu because of these use by dates.

When did people stop thinking for themselves ☹️

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Tue 05-Nov-19 20:07:06

Always finding foodstuff past its bbf date and have eaten it and am still here. Bbf products usualky have a long shelf life it just lets consumer know that it may not be at its best after that date. Use by date different but again if smells and looks ok I've eaten it. As previous poster commented when I was young we never had dates on food and lots of food was kept in larder not in fridge and we wasted far less then.

oodles Tue 05-Nov-19 17:59:06

Sometimes those packs tast a bit odd when freshly bought lol

Theoddbird Tue 05-Nov-19 17:16:17

I have eaten yogurt a few weeks past its sell by date. With me it is looks and smell. We didn't used to have dates on anything did we. How on earth did we survive...hahaha

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:12:42

But why would you risk it if you can afford not to??

Esspee Tue 05-Nov-19 15:54:57

In the Caribbean there is a saying "What don't kill, fattens!"

4allweknow Tue 05-Nov-19 14:16:48

Best before are just supposedly meant to give an indication of when a product tastes its best. Would give them a go, they probably have liad of preservatives to keep them okay for a couple of years.

Esmerelda Tue 05-Nov-19 13:55:57

Best before dates are totally abitrary, often made up by the producer because they have to say something.
Use by dates are something else and should be respected, although there are always a few days grace so if they look alright a sniff should help you decide whether they are OK or not.

Rosina Tue 05-Nov-19 13:29:43

Sniff them - if they look ok and smell ok they probably are. There is a very wide margin of error with sell by dates, and some are ludicrous. I have a jar of honey with a sell by date - but honey never goes off!

FC61 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:46:10

I never knowingly eat anything past sell by date - my body will just instantly reject it one end or the other. Other people will be ok with food that upset my stomach. My sister thinks sell by dates are nonsense but every time I ate at her house I got cramps and problems. So I don’t eat there full stop. I also get terrible anxiety if I eat food that’s off - the only time I ever get anxiety. Not worth it.

Menopauselbitch Tue 05-Nov-19 12:14:22

Bluebelle
At last a voice of common sense ?

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 05-Nov-19 11:56:38

@AlisonKF Suspect it might be Jamie Olivier, that irritating git on the telly!!

AlisonKF Tue 05-Nov-19 11:35:11

What's J.O.?

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Nov-19 08:33:35

It may be a plastic leaching issue. You would expect the seal to be much longer lasting than the dates on pouches suggest.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 08:12:42

No I most definitely wouldn't. Not worth the risk.

Stoker48 Mon 04-Nov-19 23:24:13

Thank you for your replies. I tried one of the pouches tonight -8 months past date.
Looked ok, but was dubious on taste so I didn’t venture too far.
Appreciate you taking time to respond. smile

BlueBelle Fri 01-Nov-19 10:58:17

Yes if it smells good and looks good it’s good

Mapleleaf Fri 01-Nov-19 10:36:54

I think that "best before" relates more to the quality of the product rather than its safety to eat. It might not taste as good as it would if consumed within the "best before" date. However, if it's a '"use by" date then it is wise not to consume past that date, although I'm sure a day or so (depending on the product) should be ok. Meat, fish, milk etc, I would throw. Flour, rice, lentils, etc should be ok provided there are no weevils in evidence.
If it smells odd at all, or looks slimy or infested then I'd definitely discard it.