Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Laundry temperature

(62 Posts)
Newquay Sat 02-Nov-19 17:50:12

Just had a conversation with DD1-professional lady, mother of four-and she told me she does all her washing at 60*!
I use 30/40-what do you do?

BradfordLass72 Tue 05-Nov-19 05:15:29

Vonners It's certainly worth experimenting.
I think our powders are formulated for cold, so yours might not dissolve well, as the plumber said.

The answer is to put your powder into a bowl of hot water first and let it dissolve properly, then bung it in the machine with the clothes.

I'd be interested to know if you get good results - it would save the UK (and you) an absolute fortune in power and energy if it does.

SirChenjin Tue 05-Nov-19 08:41:53

Or use a liquid laundry detergent smile

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 09:41:47

"Towels and bedding at 60, clothes mostly at 40 and some times 30.
I also use quick washes 14 and 30 mins when clothes not really dirty."

I do likewise, Buffybee.
I also do a dummy run at 60 short wash with washing soda followed by another with bleach approximately three monthly.

jacq10 Tue 05-Nov-19 10:02:33

This has been an interesting thread for me. For the last two years DH's failing health meant our washing load increased dramatically. Now I am on my own I have been making an effort to economise on electricity. I do all my washing at 30 deg with a 1000 spin unless DGS is having sleepovers and I need to up to a 40 deg occasionally. I have never used a tumble drier - we live quite high up and there is always a good wind blowing.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:36:35

Wellbeck's and Bradford Lass's especially interesting as they introduce ideas of household and personal hygiene .

I don't trust 'disinfectants' except for their pleasing smells.
I do put dish towels in the machine and boil or at least scald them after the wash, before drying.
My personal wash cloths are machine washed and dried after each use, i prefer old thin wash cloths anyway.

Does anyone know if a machine that is supposed to weigh each load and adds water accordingly scrululously does so , or does it just guess half load or full load?

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:37:13

Scrupulously

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 10:45:30

Alexa ours is an "intelligent" washing machine and it definitely takes a minute or two at the start of each wash, tumbling the clothes around, to work out how much water is needed.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:49:27

Good link SirChengin.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:50:36

Gonegirl, is that what it is doing!I had wondered.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 10:53:36

grin

SirChenjin Tue 05-Nov-19 11:36:18

Mine does the same - thinks about it for a minute and then does its magic. I don't like to argue, I try and keep on its good side!