Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Like a teenager

(14 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 08-Nov-19 10:07:27

I wouldn't allow that! Not that DH knows how to use a mobile phone anyway. hmm

harrigran Fri 08-Nov-19 07:31:36

Doesn't everyone ? DH carries his mobile to the table and places it on a stand so he can continue while he eats. He does not do it when family are here nor do any of the young ones get their phones out, some decorum still.

Carenza123 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:36:22

I am afraid my husband is obsessed with his iPad! He is always on it - when we sit down to watch tv, out will come the iPad. We are watching a favourite programme but he continues to look at his iPad. If challenged whether he is actually interested in the programme - well of course he is - still looking at his iPad. Also in charge of the remote. Yet I get told that I am the one who is obsessed with my ipad! Can’t win! Separate televisions?

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 14:54:05

I'm a bit like this. blush Have a programme on that I do really want to watch but DH not too keen. And then have a quick look at GN. Then he, of course, says "are you watching this?" I say yes because I am. Just not giving it my full attention.

I think it's probably quite a common thing these days.

MamaCaz Tue 05-Nov-19 14:46:36

My point was simply, EV, that phones give access to the same range of online activities, be it communication, information, or games, as the other devices.
Thank you for the amusing image I now have in my head of someone in the places you mention with a full-sized PC on their lap or under their arm! grin

glammanana Tue 05-Nov-19 14:42:02

When he goes to the bathroom I would dispose of it unless he takes it with him hmm

mumofmadboys Tue 05-Nov-19 14:34:04

Could you send him a text saying do you want a cup of tea or it is time for lunch? Try and tease him lightly about it!

EllanVannin Tue 05-Nov-19 14:28:16

Not while walking along or sitting on a park bench though, MamaCaz. With a laptop under my arm ? On the bus/train ?

MamaCaz Tue 05-Nov-19 14:17:10

I guess they do exactly the same sort of thing that those of us on Gransnet do when online, EV.
Phones, tablets, laptops, PCs etc. all give access to much the same diversions, don't they?

Grammaretto Tue 05-Nov-19 14:14:10

It is an addiction. Try chucking his phone out or at least hiding it. - making sure he can't phone it.

I am in danger of becoming addicted so I do know what it's like.
Because we often have a household of teenagers or early 20s, we can all 6 of us be on our phones at breakfast!
We tell ourselves it's no different from when we had the newspaper at breakfast.
As others have said, you could always communicate via the phone.

EllanVannin Tue 05-Nov-19 13:54:24

It's always puzzled me as to what people do look at when they're gazing oblivious in their surrounds at their phones ?

I don't possess one.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Nov-19 13:10:05

Yeah start communicating via his phone, get control of the remote because he clearly has no use for it. Tell him via his phone you're seriously considering divorce as your marriage has become untenable. You probably won't get a reply but then that tells you everything you need to know.

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 12:59:43

Move out for a few days, do not tell him, just see if he notices.

If he doesn't send him a text saying you are making it permanent.

Nanny41 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:57:20

I need some tips please, I have a Husband with a mobile phone obsession. He sits literally for hours with his phone attached to his hand,like a teenager, he can sit in a chair or sofa just looking and checking things, I can sit opposite him and am obviously invisible to him.He even sits in front of the tv and looks constantly at his phone, at the same time having his favourite programmes on, if I suggest I could look at something I would like to see, he then says he is watching what he wants to see.It really is getting me down as obviosly his phone is much more important than I am, I find it very rude bahaviour. Any words of wisdom which could help ladies?