Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

They thought everyone did this!

(91 Posts)
petitpois Fri 15-Nov-19 16:00:48

When you go to a restaurant, do you plan ahead what you are going to eat? I was talking to my daughter and her friend recently and if they are eating out, they both read the menus beforehand and plan what they are going to eat. For me, this ruins the whole experience. I like to be spontaneous and reading the menu and deciding what to have is part of the fun of the whole outing, no? What do you think?

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 19:01:47

I had a look, it all looks delicious but yes, I will wait to see if there is a 'specials' board too, minimoon

BlueSapphire Fri 15-Nov-19 23:18:13

Oh, I have just been out for a meal tonight, and looked at the menu on line beforehand, and was a bit disappointed, and thought what on earth am I going to eat, as I don't really fancy anything.
However, when they brought the menu out this evening , it had completely different things on it, so the other one may just have been a sample menu. It was similar quality food, but different, if you know what I mean!
I had the most delicious venison in red wine casserole with mashed potatoes and winter vegetables. (And shared a bottle of red with two other guests!)
After late DH had his stroke he found menus complicated and tricky to read, so it really helped to look at it online and take him through it beforehand.

ginny Fri 15-Nov-19 23:39:02

I like to look at the menu beforehand to get an idea of what they do. I never actually choose until I’ve seen the full menu and specials. I really dislike going to dinners where you have to choose every course weeks before.

Esther1 Fri 15-Nov-19 23:57:55

It has never occurred to me to look at the menu on line before getting to the restaurant but after reading these posts I studied our local pub’s menu before meeting friends there tonight for a meal and decided before arriving what I would order. What a great idea - I am usually so distracted and interested in chatting when we get seated I end up ordering the first thing I see when the waitress starts hovering - plus I didn’t have to rummage for my reading glasses to read the menu in bad lighting. Much better!

Nansnet Sat 16-Nov-19 06:23:23

I look online, if the menu is available, just so that I can have a good idea of what I might like. I find that when we are sat around the table in a restaurant, having a drink, and chatting, I don't get to look at the menu properly and everyone ends up waiting ages for me to choose!

JackyB Sat 16-Nov-19 07:06:13

I sometimes look beforehand, but usually I open the menu, choose the first thing I see that I know I would like, then close it again. I ask the waiter to recommend a wine to go with it. I usually only manage half anyway, and take the other half home for next day's lunch. I must try and remember to ask if they do half portions

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 10:20:32

I always make sure there is something on the menu my teeth can cope with.

merlotgran Sat 16-Nov-19 10:32:19

I look at the menu online (if poss) to see what gluten free choices are available.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 10:38:36

Christmas work meals usually involve having to look /choose what you're going to eat.

Otherwise no. I'm not particularly fussy

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 10:40:11

Just asked my 23 year old. She looked astounded and said of COURSE she does.

All part of the experience apparently

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:59:22

I pretty much have the same Chinese/Indian meal.
But when out with friends I read the menu.

sunseeker Sat 16-Nov-19 11:06:39

I will check the online menu as I am something of a fussy eater, also have some allergies, but don't make up my mind what to eat until I am at the restaurant.

whywhywhy Sat 16-Nov-19 11:42:14

I read on arrival as I change my mind so often. X

ReadyMeals Sat 16-Nov-19 11:42:32

I think it increases the fun to start thinking about what you might eat beforehand, kind of extends the time the experience lasts

Riggie Sat 16-Nov-19 11:44:12

Ill look when deciding where to go but certainky dont choose because there night be a specials board.
And anyway I will probably have looked at several places so wont remember what each one was offering

jaylucy Sat 16-Nov-19 11:45:13

Usually check for my son to see if they have gluten and dairy free options available and a general idea of what else is on offer, but don't really decide until I get there. Unless, that is, I'm going in a group and you need to order in advance!

EllieB52 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:45:54

Always check the menu online mainly to make sure I like the offerings. Sometimes I’ll pick before I go, sometimes not.

olliebeak Sat 16-Nov-19 11:47:56

Hello Saxifrage, Fiachna50, kittylester and Calliestemon - I'm also Coeliac and, like you, find myself having to research/scrutinise menus to find out what my options are.

It can be quite disappointing when places only offer very basic options for GF - especially the ubiquitous 'Jacket Potato with Baked Beans/Cheese :-(.

Theoddbird Sat 16-Nov-19 11:48:05

I do look at a menu ahead of time as I am vegan. It is getting so much easier eating out now than it used to be though.

jenpax Sat 16-Nov-19 11:50:00

I do look before hand, not to choose, but to get an idea of the type of food on offer and to check out the vegetarian options. Also if with my coeliac granddaughter the gluten free ones as well.

WendyBT Sat 16-Nov-19 11:51:35

I am very fussy and live on a restricted diet so I have to plan in advance. If they don't have what I like, I will sit there with a cup of coffee!

GoldenAge Sat 16-Nov-19 11:59:06

Personally, I wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant nowadays without knowing what was on the menu - I just don't see the point of going out to eat if you're not going to enjoy it and who's to say that a restaurant is going to have something available that you like? I also think it's useful to check the menu beforehand to make sure that it's within your price range. Nothing worse than turning up to a dinner out with friends and getting the shock of your life at the price of the meal you thought you might have and having to revert to the 'light bite'.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Nov-19 12:05:45

Like Grammaretto (and others) I also look online to see if there's more than one veggie option before booking.

Even then, I've found more times than I can count that the only options for vegetarians are things I cook at home on a regular basis.

If I've got not choice where to go,(e.g. work - where someone else is inviting me) I'd also look online. It's sometimes awkward if you're the only veggie and struggling to find something to eat.

purplepatcat Sat 16-Nov-19 12:10:09

I usually will check the menu online if we are going somewhere new, as DH is a bit of a fussy eater! Also if we are taking family out need to check if there is good vegan choice for eldest DGC who is vegan, but has a real dislike of butternut squash, and we have found that sometimes the only vegan option on offer at some places contains this.

Abuelana Sat 16-Nov-19 12:18:35

I might download menu to make sure it’s suitable but no I’d never make up my mind. I change my mind 3 times at the table before I decide.