Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Asking Questions about my Finances

(68 Posts)
westerlywind Sun 17-Nov-19 16:39:53

I have noticed in the last 6 to 10 months that I am being asked questions I find too intrusive. I would never ask anyone about how much anything cost.
I sold a property which was openly advertised on Internet and in the Estate Agents window. After the house was sold and the new owner was in the property I met one of the neighbours from there who without preamble asked me how much I got for the house.
In the property that I live in, I got some external work done and a neighbour who does not normally speak asked how much it all cost.
Another piece of outside work was done and the spouse of the above neighbour asked how much that cost.
I mentioned to an acquaintance about some other work I am planning, I didn't go into detail and she asked how much that will cost.
Am I being a bit soft not liking to be asked about every job I have had done or plan to do?
I would think it such bad manners to ask anyone about anything related to money.
Can I have your opinions please

NotSpaghetti Sat 30-Nov-19 14:18:40

Oops autocorrect - jeans

NotSpaghetti Sat 30-Nov-19 14:18:09

Sharon103 - I think you are wrong - If it's just about the price of a pair of jeans that's alright.
If I asked some people about that they would be very cross and think I was 'getting at them'! ?
Some people spend £100 plus on Jean's!

Deedaa Fri 29-Nov-19 18:31:01

I have often asked people about work they are having done. It's the easiest way to get an idea of prices and workmanship if I'm thinking of having something done myself.

Naty Fri 29-Nov-19 01:42:42

It would not bother me at all. They might want similar work done.

Tangerine Fri 22-Nov-19 19:06:14

Perhaps it depends on how well you know people. If you don't mind discussing your finances Petra and they don't mind discussing such things, I agree "What's to hide?".

However, I think most people wish to keep such matters to themselves.

petra Fri 22-Nov-19 13:10:59

My life's an open book. I have no problem with people asking me the price of anything or wages/ pensions.

My dear friend has not long had her teeth done and an eyelid job. I asked her outright what it cost. She just told me. What's to hide?

Magrithea Fri 22-Nov-19 12:51:51

I think people like to get an idea of what it might cost them if they had work done. I don't have a problem with it

Carenza123 Tue 19-Nov-19 10:56:48

When at my workplace many moons ago, we had one girl colleague who perpetually asked us “how much was that?”, if any one of us purchased something, without fail. It got on our nerves as she was a copycat and went out to buy the same items as us. My dad always used to tell me “if people are rude enough to keep asking how much things cost, by all means tell them but tell them a very inflated figure!” That advice stood me in good stead when it was my turn to be asked “how much?”.

Want2Help Tue 19-Nov-19 09:49:45

... from now on I respond "why do you ask" that usually ends the interrogation

Want2Help Tue 19-Nov-19 09:48:10

I feel exactly the same westerlywind I think it's rude, nosy and inappropriate to ask about anyone's financial business. When moving house I was asked by one acquaintance what our budget was!!
Unbelievable!
Whatever happened to minding your own business?

Witzend Tue 19-Nov-19 09:39:05

Many moons ago we lived in Cyprus, where people thought nothing of asking how much you'd paid for this or that, how much rent you paid, etc. More than once dh was asked quite openly how much he earned.
It wasn't seen as at all rude there, but I never did get used to it.

Kikibee Tue 19-Nov-19 09:23:15

No it would not bother me, I would ask if I was interested, especially if I was having similar work done or thinking of selling my house. And if someone did not want to reveal I would respect that..I would not mind if someone asked me either...it's not a secret and may help them make a choice if necessary. However if someone was being just plain nosey, I would be vague with my response, you can usually gauge why they are asking...x

Molli Tue 19-Nov-19 08:48:00

As others have said house prices are pretty transparent these days. Re renovations. We have seen workmen at local properties, watched their work and hubby ( who is happy to talk to anyone! ) have engaged them in chit chat and then talked to the owners. But not usually about actual costs more for recommendations. People don’t seem to mind about chatting about work like that.

Personally if we get a bargain we are more likely to say how much something was if asked. Hubby gets things from a local house auction sometimes for just a few £s. Larger projects like double glazing ( current ) we tend to have a stock answer of ‘we found the price competitive - worth enquiring yourself with them if you want to find out more.’

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 23:48:22

I worked with a woman who was very reserved. She said that I really shouldn't tell people my business or chat to strangers. I found it very odd and wondered what on Earth she was in fear of. I think it was just her upbringing by folk who worried that 'walls have ears' - a wartime saying.

notanan2 Mon 18-Nov-19 22:32:28

Local house prices or local going rates for work are not questions about your individual finances. Its not like asking how much savings or debt you have

Tangerine Mon 18-Nov-19 21:54:46

I would not ask people what they paid for something.

Aside from financial issues, I am often amazed at how much personal information people do divulge.

westerlywind Mon 18-Nov-19 21:44:40

@urmstrongran I would doubt if I am prickly. I was did well in two careers both of which were public facing.
In recent years, I was a carer for a parent. I didn't get any help from family. NHS and SS were not very helpful. People were annoyed that I inherited. Maybe I got to see more nasty sides than was normal. I have lived in 15 houses over the last 45+ years and I have never had the likes of these people for neighbours. I am still friendly with neighbours from my old houses which were a very long time ago.
I was a child around here but only two of the children from that time have chosen to return to their old houses when their parents age or pass away.
I always believed, like politics and religion, money was not a subject to be discussed. This being equally true if you were rich or poor. You are, of course, entitled to your view but I would remind you that you do not know me or my life

Sussexborn Mon 18-Nov-19 20:16:01

DD2 stayed with a friend for a few days and the friend’s Dad told her the price of everything. The cutlery, the crockery, table, chairs. Literally everything! He had a poverty stricken childhood and seemed to find comfort in letting others know how far he had come in life.

It doesn’t bother me if people ask how much things cost but I would probably be wary if they asked about personal finances, mainly because my OH would be annoyed if I answered them.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Nov-19 20:14:52

Maybe you don’t like people in general very much westerlywind?

That’s what I’m picking up on anyway each time you post. You seem prickly.

westerlywind Mon 18-Nov-19 20:01:44

I think it is weird that they never talk to me unless it is to try to get information out of me.
I find WEIRD to be the scariest of the scariest

Bestgranny Mon 18-Nov-19 19:34:11

I would keep the conversation polite & just say
Money & fair words .

jennilin Mon 18-Nov-19 19:31:05

If you are helping people to make sense of their own situation I would do it gladly . It seems mean not to help unless the neighbours are just prying out of curiosity .. that would annoy me

ALANaV Mon 18-Nov-19 19:30:29

I once had a friend who used to quote 'Personal questions are odious' ! ...loved it and often use it ha ha

Ooeyisit Mon 18-Nov-19 18:38:14

I find it’s quite easy to lose my memory when asked impertinent question . I was also interrogated a few weeks ago. I replied I’m not sure to each question. But I think my cousin has the best answer when asked about things she wishes to keep private she says . Now if I told you that ,you would know as much as me . Get foxy don’t ell em

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:08:39

It wouldn't worry me at all. The 'sold prices' of houses are available on the net anyway. I would object if somebody asked me what I earned, though.

Funnily, a neighbour asked me how much I'd be selling my house for, then said 'Oh, no, you won't get that much' as if he were an expert. I only mentioned the cost of similar places so it was very strange. Perhaps he's had a valuation but he lives in a much smaller place so I have an extra garage, bedroom and bathroom, also a larger garden.