Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spam overload

(23 Posts)
charliebrown Fri 22-Nov-19 10:37:33

Got two missed calls yesterday, one from China and one from Italy!!

Sparklefizz Fri 22-Nov-19 10:09:33

I get loads about trading in bitcoins. These days I get about 4 times as many junk emails as I used to get earlier in the year.

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:07:42

Never had that experience with unsubscribing Harrigran but I believe that is true if you respond to unsolicited texts by typing STOP.,

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:03:40

Never look in my spam box. Empty it occasionally that’s all.

LizHand Fri 22-Nov-19 09:25:05

Thanks fo the great advice on not unsubscribing.....most end up in trash anyway but there seems to be a limit on flagging additional hits as trash. My husband uses apple and doesnt have this problem either but nor did I until a couple of weeks ago.

cornergran Wed 20-Nov-19 23:26:39

Very few get through to my email, Mr C on the other hand gets far more. Settings seem identical, we share a provider, the only difference is he uses a Windows machine and I use Apple. Don’t get me started on the phone though, we seem to have come to the top of every list there is. We don’t answer, doesn’t stop them coming.

Esther1 Wed 20-Nov-19 23:09:42

I have always ‘unsubscribed’ by clicking on it - I never considered that this tells them I exist so to speak - so thanks for this information. I always move rubbish e mails into my Spam folder rather than just deleting and have noticed often further e mails go straight to Spam then.

henetha Wed 20-Nov-19 10:09:20

I'm getting three or four every day telling me that I should be trading in bitcoins. And others of course.
I don't unsubscribe as that means clicking on them. I just delete. Hopefully they will get bored in time.

harrigran Wed 20-Nov-19 10:01:37

Unsubscribing does not stop spam it just proves to the spammer that your address is active and leaves you open to more.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 07:41:42

I think that may be where I've been going wrong.
I've been on a mission to unsubscribe from all of them.

BradfordLass72 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:08:33

My security is pretty tight so I don't get much.

Never, ever respond by unsubscribing (unless it's froma site you have formerly registered with). It's a trick which lets them know you've accepted their spam, so unsub or not, it'll keep coming.

Look at your filters and security, you can probably have most of diverted immediatly to your Trash box.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:13:10

I've just found another load of spam in my inbox..

youtu.be/jrZyZn5nVks

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 22:07:42

No I don’t get any spam or if I do it’s filtered off before I see it

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 21:58:13

I never have, up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I wonder what has sparked it off?

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 21:24:44

I get no US mailed spam at all.

Ginny42 Tue 19-Nov-19 21:19:17

On a related matter, I am changing my email provider because the current one scans my emails and allows others access to my data so that, 'they can offer me a more personal service and offers'.

Check whether your email provider reads your emails.

merlotgran Tue 19-Nov-19 21:01:02

I thought the OP had bought too many tins for her Brexit cupboard. grin

Ginny42 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:59:14

It all depends on which provider you are with. I get almost no spam. Just the occasional one.

varian Tue 19-Nov-19 20:54:57

I have to delete about twenty every day. There is no point in trying to block them as they constantly change their IP addresses. I think the only solution is to change your email address but that does involve a lot of hastle.

sodapop Tue 19-Nov-19 19:38:06

Spam fritters grin

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 18:23:51

Was hoping that this thread was about fried spam ( with eggs)
Yum.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 17:24:37

I've had a real spate of them lately, which has not happened before.

Yes, they really get on my wick!

LizHand Tue 19-Nov-19 17:18:02

Has anyone else experienced a huge rise recently in the number of US mailed spam. Most gets filtered by my phone/tablet but still needs housekeeping......some do offer "unsubscribe option but many are just as fake as their email. Fed up with them!!!