Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fragrance for mature male

(12 Posts)
onaclearday Wed 20-Nov-19 17:58:50

My friend (male) doesn't currently wear any aftershave or cologne. I would like to buy some for his Christmas present but I am totally out of touch. He is a very conservative dresser and wouldn't want anything overpowering. I buy Issy Mayaki for my son and I seem to recall admiring the scent of Eau Sauvage some time ago. Would like it to be classy and don't mind spending up to £60. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Nov-19 18:01:52

£60!!!!!

If he doesn't wear these things he probably doesn't like them!

Personally I think a bit of armpit fragrance is very attractive. Man Tang.....ahhh. grin

NannyJan53 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:04:03

My Partner likes Spice Bomb, by Viktor & Rolf.

MawB Wed 20-Nov-19 18:07:28

If he doesn’t wear them, he doesn’t wear them.
Or are you trying to make an unsubtle observation about BO?
I love Eau Sauvage but it could be a short lived friendship . hmm

NanTheWiser Wed 20-Nov-19 18:09:40

If he doesn't wear any cologne or aftershave, it's probably because he doesn't like it! It would be a huge mistake to spend £60(!) on someone who wouldn't choose to wear any.

Nortsat46 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:13:42

My partner likes Armani Code Homme. He initially received it as a gift and now its his favourite. He previously wasn’t much given to cologne/aftershave/fragrance ... but is now a convert.
I think it smells great on him - light, fresh, clean and citrusy.

From about £35 for EDT on Google.

Have fun choosing and then enjoying him wearing it.

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 18:28:55

DH uses Eau Sauvage and I love it!

fizzers Wed 20-Nov-19 18:59:45

Eau Sauvage would be too powerful (and too exensive) for someone who does not like or appreciate aftershaves or fragrances. I want to bite men wearing Eau Sauvage..... grin

Ted Baker fragrances and gifsets are reasonably priced and not too powerful.

Scentia Wed 20-Nov-19 19:30:23

I think a more subtle fragrance of a body spray may be better. I like a spray by Lush called ‘dirty’. It has a beautiful manly smell and is not expensive (just in case you are misjudging him) and wasting your money!!

grumppa Wed 20-Nov-19 20:13:48

Where are the Brut and Old Spice of yesteryear? I have some Tiffany for Men which seems very pleasant on the rare occasions when I apply it. [My beard allows no scope for aftershave.]

onaclearday Wed 20-Nov-19 22:30:19

He is a very clean person, no hint of B.O. I just think it is something no one has ever bought for him and he hasn't considered buying it for himself. The sum of £60 was a top figure that I would spend on a Christmas present. From what I have seen on the internet Dior and Chanel cost nearly that much. I just want him to have something nice for himself. He gives so much to others.

CanadianGran Wed 20-Nov-19 22:41:25

My husband has been wearing Azzaro since I bought his first bottle more than 30 years ago. I love it, and he gets many compliments.

I think they have changed from the original formula, but it still makes me want to snuggle.